Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixing a Wombled Cordless drill?
Staple balls

posted on 23/4/15 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fixing a Wombled Cordless drill?

So, the father in law has come across an oldish bosch drill (GSB 14.4 VE-2) with a nicad battery and a charger.

The charger (AL60DV 1419)seems to be complicated (+, - and I assume a Vsense to control charging) so I can't just poke the multimeter in there, but it looks like it's trying

The battery will charge up to 8.05v, but stops there, the drill will spin but with all the ferocity and effort of a wet sock, so I figure it's worth continuing.

So, I figure its relatively safe to assume it's the battery that's boned, what's my best bet? Is it worth trying to rebuild the battery pack myself, or am I as well off picking up a replacement off ebay? Will an NIMH work, and charge safely from the same charger?

Obviously, I don't want to break the bank fixing something, but it seems a handy enough bit of kit that dropping £20-30 on it won't hurt.

ReMan

posted on 23/4/15 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14-4V-1-3Ah-Battery-for-Bosch-2607335533-GSB14-4VE-2-UK-CE-/301189860730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4620508d7a />

BIN!

[Edited on 23/4/15 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Staple balls

posted on 23/4/15 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I was looking at that, and more temptingly this, but obviously if my house goes on fire, that'd be bad value.
cliftyhanger

posted on 23/4/15 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XGSB14.4VE-2+14.4V+1.3Ah+Battery+.TRS0&_nkw=GSB14.4VE-2+14. 4V+1.3Ah+Battery+&_sacat=0

Bit of a selection, sadly no pukka ones.....

theconrodkid

posted on 24/4/15 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
I bought one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti526com-18v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/92980

sooooooooo much better than my previous one in every way

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

splitrivet

posted on 24/4/15 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you can change the battery away from Nicad do it, so much better in every way.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

MikeRJ

posted on 24/4/15 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
Yeah, I was looking at that, and more temptingly this, but obviously if my house goes on fire, that'd be bad value.

Ni-Cd and Ni-Mh batteries are pretty safe in terms of abuse during charging and discharging, unlike many Lithium-Ion chemistries. The main fire danger would be if the battery pack shorted out.

garyo

posted on 24/4/15 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
They all tend to be c cells inside so I just but new ones from eBay then rebuild- cheap as chips
Smoking Frog

posted on 24/4/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I did rebuild a battery pack for a 12v bosch but with limited success as a component (think it was a thermister) was damaged. Although it did work well up until I forgot to switch it off after a couple of hours. This resulted in melting to the batteries and case due to over charging. I buy a new battery pack now.
Staple balls

posted on 24/4/15 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
I bought one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti526com-18v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/92980

sooooooooo much better than my previous one in every way

Bloody hell, that's cheap.

I might just pick up a cheap battery off ebosh for this for abuse and convince wifey she loves me enough for a fresh drill later in the year.

garyo

posted on 24/4/15 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Also, if you're brave, google 'reviving dead nicads using a welder'. This has also worked for me!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Revive-Nicad-Batteries-by-Zappin g-with-a-Welder/

Staple balls

posted on 24/4/15 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I actually tried that earlier, nowt much happened though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.