Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What Camera
Fandango

posted on 23/9/15 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
What Camera

Hi All.

I need a camera with a remote mic, which can be placed out of the wind, so the sound is not destroyed by wind noise.

Don`t want to pay Go-Pro prices, can anyone recommend a budget option?

Cheers

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

Adamirish

posted on 23/9/15 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
See here.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=200242

I have just bought an SJ4000 and for the money, it's amazing! £48 posted. Sound in the wind is rubbish but shortly I will be cracking it open, getting rid of the inbuilt mic, fitting a mic jack and fitting a remote mic in the engine bay.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Irony

posted on 23/9/15 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Is this hack with the mic possible? I am thinking of getting a sj4000. Is the rear Lcd useful, the yiomui yi looks good but no rear lcd
gingerprince

posted on 23/9/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of these :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SVC200-170°HD-Camcorder-Bracket-Adapter/dp/B00VBOBXB4

Supports mic in. I have a mic under passenger dash out of the wind.

Does 60fps at 720p, 30fps at 1080. Not GoPro but i prefer it to my old ContourGPS which cost me >3 times as much.

Example of video and audio quality:

https://youtu.be/R_cus47qQo0

Also comes with watrproof case. Mine came with plenty of mounts on ebay for about 90 quid. The amazon link has fewer mounts but seek and you shall find.

[Edited on 23/9/15 by gingerprince]

Adamirish

posted on 23/9/15 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Is this hack with the mic possible? I am thinking of getting a sj4000. Is the rear Lcd useful, the yiomui yi looks good but no rear lcd

I don't see why not. There is a mic in it already so I will unsolder that, solder in a mic jack and go that route. The case will need to be dremelled/drilled but that should be easy enough. Famous last words!

Yes the lcd is useful, you need it for the menu. Besides that, it is great for lining up the cam on the mount.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Irony

posted on 24/9/15 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I looked it up and there are quite a few tutorial videos on youtube for the hack. There doesn't seem to be any cameras on the market with a external mic option.
Adamirish

posted on 24/9/15 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I looked it up and there are quite a few tutorial videos on youtube for the hack. There doesn't seem to be any cameras on the market with a external mic option.

Really? I thought I was going to be going into it blind!lol cheers, I will have a look. The Sony AS20 does but that is about £120.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Fcck2000

posted on 24/9/15 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerprince
I have one of these :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SVC200-170°HD-Camcorder-Bracket-Adapter/dp/B00VBOBXB4

Supports mic in. I have a mic under passenger dash out of the wind.

Does 60fps at 720p, 30fps at 1080. Not GoPro but i prefer it to my old ContourGPS which cost me >3 times as much.

Example of video and audio quality:

https://youtu.be/R_cus47qQo0

Also comes with watrproof case. Mine came with plenty of mounts on ebay for about 90 quid. The amazon link has fewer mounts but seek and you shall find.

[Edited on 23/9/15 by gingerprince]

This looks just the job, so I've ordered one from ebay £59 :-) bargain.

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

ken555

posted on 24/9/15 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Really? I thought I was going to be going into it blind!lol cheers, I will have a look. The Sony AS20 does but that is about £120.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Black Flash

posted on 25/9/15 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an SJ, but the battery life has proven to be a bit short. About 40 minutes max which means you always seem to miss the good bits.

Since then I bought an Innov C3. The camera is separate from the main body. This means that the body (which has the mic in) can be in the footwell while the camera is on the rollbar or whatever. It also means that it's easy to run a charging lead to the body from a normal 12v output socket.

The main downside is no live view so it's a bit harder to setup, and initially setting up the defaults is a bit faffy. Though I gather the newer C4 (which now appears to be only 80 quid) has wifi so should solve all of that. Other than that, it's full HD and you can record with no wind noise. I recorded for a whole day at Oulton and didn't have to worry about battery life.

Clip here - you can see I didn't have it quite straight which I've since sorted : https://youtu.be/gQ1xW-cWprk

Adamirish

posted on 25/9/15 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
I've got an SJ, but the battery life has proven to be a bit short. About 40 minutes max which means you always seem to miss the good bits

Really? I was playing with mine last weekend, I recorded 2 30 plus minute videos and still had half the battery life left.

Your cam does seem good and the fact you can plug it in and never have to worry about the battery is a great idea. Your car sounds ace by the way!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Fandango

posted on 28/9/15 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've got an SJ, but the battery life has proven to be a bit short. About 40 minutes max which means you always seem to miss the good bits.

Since then I bought an Innov C3. The camera is separate from the main body. This means that the body (which has the mic in) can be in the footwell while the camera is on the rollbar or whatever. It also means that it's easy to run a charging lead to the body from a normal 12v output socket.

The main downside is no live view so it's a bit harder to setup, and initially setting up the defaults is a bit faffy. Though I gather the newer C4 (which now appears to be only 80 quid) has wifi so should solve all of that. Other than that, it's full HD and you can record with no wind noise. I recorded for a whole day at Oulton and didn't have to worry about battery life.

Clip here - you can see I didn't have it quite straight which I've since sorted : https://youtu.be/gQ1xW-cWprk

Cheers for that, will look into the Innovv C3 / C4

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

The Black Flash

posted on 12/10/15 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
quote:
I've got an SJ, but the battery life has proven to be a bit short. About 40 minutes max which means you always seem to miss the good bits

Really? I was playing with mine last weekend, I recorded 2 30 plus minute videos and still had half the battery life left.

Your cam does seem good and the fact you can plug it in and never have to worry about the battery is a great idea.

Maybe the battery quality is rather variable then - mine's only ever given 40 mins at room temp, when I tried to use it snowboarding it lasted about 2 before it died of the cold. Maybe I'll try a replacement battery, as apart from that I think the SJ is a great little camera for the price.

quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish
Your car sounds ace by the way!

Thanks I can't get enough of it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.