Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: POll : monocoque or steel
Volvorsport

posted on 10/12/04 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
POll : monocoque or steel

alright , since i completely missed the poll button , ill delete the other thread and you can re vote :

Now for ever who said it wont be too cheap : dont count yer chickens before they hatch . ill leave the price out - i want people to vote on wether they would buy one and have no misconceptions about driving a GRP/kevlar/carbon tub about .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Staple balls

posted on 10/12/04 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger, just finished typing a reply.

I think a monocoque setup could work very well indeed. However i would have concerns about the resistance to damage, it's a few years since i looked at this stuff in any detail (and then it was in push-bike frames)

My worry would be that if you did get a nasty gouge in the tub that it could affect the overall structure massively, also it would be very difficult to add/remove parts or to make customisations.

The beauty of a steel spaceframe is that any muppet can pick up a welder and add bits, change stuff around and even make the whole lot themselves, you can't do that with CF.

I think it's almost like comparing C4 to gunpowder.

C4, you can do what the hell you like with, even burn it and cook over it safely.

Gunpowder is safe in the right conditions, but can get very dangerous very quickly.

Volvorsport

posted on 10/12/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
if it gets damaged , send it back to the factory for repair !!

it wont be completely carbon - a mixture so that its cost /strength all lay within acceptable parameters for the home builder . Although you wouldnt be able to change the physical dimensions so much, i believe its easier to adapt than you might think .

as an example , the lanes Darrian had an off at about 90 mph , took most corners off the car , we stook it back in the mold and repaired it , a week later he was running again , and that was extensive damage . like i said in the other thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=19993 there will some steel in the shape of a roll cage and front an rear chassis sections that will be the same as book dimensions or +4

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Dale

posted on 10/12/04 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I would not be too concerned as long as the design has some modular design to it. It would be nice to have a bolt together chassis that can have the major components replaced instead of having the entire tub ect replaced.
Dale

undecided

posted on 10/12/04 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
Extreme is a stainless steel tub and been around for a good few years now so nowt new there.
Volvorsport

posted on 11/12/04 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
well , the point is , its a composite monocoque , im well aware its been done before , and shall be done again .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

gazza285

posted on 11/12/04 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
Who voted for Steel performs better? Dark ages of motoring history.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aloupol

posted on 11/12/04 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
At least me...
As "performs beter" I don't mean steel is lighter or stronger but I think in the case of a Locost or related it gives some advantages: easy to built, repair or mod, cheap, afordable calculation if you want to optimize etc.
How much will carbon be lighter and stiffer?
For my car I will probably use a mid way solution: a steel frame with aly sandwich paneling around the cockpit cell.
Square tubes of 25 with inside and outside 1.6 (or even 1.2) paneling, with a 25 thick honneycomb core between both panel.
The honneycomb weights nothing and it can make even a thin sheet become structural.
As anyone used this solution?

andylancaster3000

posted on 12/12/04 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Nobody has mentioned an aly monocoque. There aren't many about and I don't think Robin Hoods' idea has really proved that its a good concept very well!
Mr. Chapmans monocoque F1 cars were constructed in aluminium and these proved rather affective.

In my archive are a few pictures of an aly chassis. Other than a small front and rear subframe and suspension pick-up points made from steel it is all constructed with sections of folded sheet aly. The sections are then riveted together with Araldite on all joints. In my opinion this method is a lot easier to get true than a spaceframe. Construction is also very quick to build, unlike a composite chassis and above all, VERY light!

I admit that for the purposes of a locost if in regular use on the road could, be susceptible to problems with fatigue. There aren't many front engined monocoques around either. They are generally mid engined cars with the engine as a stressed member or engine/box/rear suspension on a seperate subframe. But with some thinking a front engine design could be achieved.

Andy

[Edited on 12/12/04 by andylancaster3000]

Volvorsport

posted on 12/12/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
well , its true that it may be easier , but a composite chassis can be just as easy to build - i shall attempt to prove that . I dont think an all ally monocoque is any lighter though - to a comparable strength , my intention is still to have a full roll cage anyway .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

andylancaster3000

posted on 12/12/04 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, i didn't mean for it to say that it was very much lighter then a composite chassis but for its weight, I think it would be considerably stiffer then a spaceframe

Andy.

Volvorsport

posted on 12/12/04 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
id agree with that , although im a little apprehensive about driving a pop riveted bit of ally about , that really does suit racing cars more - imagine all the deburring youd have to do aswell . of course ally is safer than steel for the same strength since it has a higher yield strength . Once a mold is made , you build it without a single seam or join , which also contributes to strength .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

andylancaster3000

posted on 12/12/04 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
That composite chassis idea sounds interesting. Would you bond in steel lugs for the major components then or would you try something fancy with the mould?

I would agree with your concerns about driving the riveted chassis on the road. However the car in my archieve raced many seasons without a hint of rivet failure, but that was with high quality rivets (about 2000 of um!)

Andy

Volvorsport

posted on 12/12/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
yeah , i shall be bonding in attatchment threads/lugs where necessary , some will be dowelled to allow removal/replacement etc .

At the momnet still designing/sketching wether it would be possible to have the whole chassis as composite without the need for the front suspension subframe .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

krlthms

posted on 12/12/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
There aren't many front engined monocoques around either. They are generally mid engined cars with the engine as a stressed member or engine/box/rear suspension on a seperate subframe. But with some thinking a front engine design could be achieved.

Andy

[Edited on 12/12/04 by andylancaster3000]

McLaren Mercedes SLR?

KT

Volvorsport

posted on 12/12/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
What about Lister Storm ?- could you consider a marcos for mocoque , not truely 'composite' , but a monocoque chassis of sorts.Maybe i shouldnt define it as monocoque - merely composite chassis ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

andylancaster3000

posted on 13/12/04 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
What is the exact definition of monocoque? From my understanding nearly every road car chassis falls under the definition of monocoque!

One of the best, most developed, composite chassis I have come across is the GTM chassis. I was quite suprised with how little metal is the the chassis but they assured us of its strength with 20 years of development in it!

Andy

Alan B

posted on 14/12/04 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
...... . of course ally is safer than steel for the same strength since it has a higher yield strength .

Erm...?
What does that mean?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Staple balls

posted on 14/12/04 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
mon·o·coque n.

A metal structure, such as an aircraft, in which the skin absorbs all or most of the stresses to which the body is subjected.

Volvorsport

posted on 14/12/04 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
higher yield strength - if ive got this correct is when the material has gone beyond its plastic range (deformation) , ally take a lot more energy to "yield" , therefore in an accident it absorbs more energy from the crash ,protecting the occupants better than say something of the same structure in steel . Thats why those deformable structures ( ie ally radiators) at the front of such speciall vehicles do there job admirably .

After the locost club meeting last night im getting some really supportive comments - so keep em coming .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

andylancaster3000

posted on 14/12/04 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
mon·o·coque n.

A metal structure, such as an aircraft, in which the skin absorbs all or most of the stresses to which the body is subjected.

Does it have to be metal?

Andy

Volvorsport

posted on 14/12/04 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think it has to be , of course when that description was about - it probably only applied to metal structures

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

krlthms

posted on 14/12/04 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i dont think it has to be , of course when that description was about - it probably only applied to metal structures

Most likely spruce, canvas, and shilac (e.g., spitfire wings).
Another name used for car is unibody. First to use in the Citroen Traction Avant (~1930).
I still think that what you are talking about is semi-monocoque, since you are going to be using metal subframes fore and aft. A true monocoque would not have subframes.
Very exciting though.
Cheers
KT

Volvorsport

posted on 14/12/04 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
well , i know the citreon was early , but the lancia in1924 was the first of any monocoque design .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

krlthms

posted on 14/12/04 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
well , i know the citreon was early , but the lancia in1924 was the first of any monocoque design .

I, sir, bow to your superior historical knowledge.
Now, get off the f...ing computer, and start sketching.
Cheers
KT

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.