Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Accident!!
larchtree

posted on 10/11/15 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Accident!!

Hi Fellas

Would appreciate any help, thoughts, comments on following -

Last week a van rolled back into the front wing of my car (5 series), we were stopped at lights on an incline, pressed the horn but he still kept coming!
We were in the city with lots of traffic, they stopped gave me mobiles names and company, later that day I gave them my details and pics of the damage - not great but a new wing required.
Have been chasing them for more details, text the driver, emailed the company and nothing!
The company looks to be quite sizeable, not expecting them to ignore me!

Quote from BMW around £1000 - yes I know but its not a year old and its BMW!

Not informed insurance as yet.

Where should I go from here???

Cheers
Dave

cliftyhanger

posted on 10/11/15 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I hope you took some pictures at the time too?
I would be telling your insurance company and actually (shock horror) phoning the company.
It is probably that the driver has not told them for fear of getting into trouble, and besides, it could so easily be said you drove into him.
You may have a fight on your hands!

2 other options if no joy. First, just claim on your own policy/get it fixed yourself
otherwise small claims court against the company.
But as above, if no witnesses...

jps

posted on 10/11/15 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just incase it cheers you up....

Had a similar experience years ago - a rep in a shiny Jag reversed into my Ka in a motorway services. I was slowly heading through the aisles of a carpark - he just reversed straight out into my wing - despite me leaning on the horn... He gave me a business card (can't remember the company but cetainly not a one man band) - but there was no evidence (this being before the days of camera phones...)...

All went quiet for several weeks - i though the worst - but it did get sorted in the end, I only had to ring his company once to chivvy them along...

Brook_lands

posted on 10/11/15 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Last year a delivery van reversed into my car, similar situation I wasn't moving, sounded horn, he kept coming until the bang. Damage to my car £2500+

Liveried van national company, exchanged names etc.

I went straight to my insurance company to get the car sorted. However my experiences were.

1. My insurance company wouldn't believe that it was not my fault because the front of my car hit the back of the van and therefore wouldn't allow me to have a courtesy car while mine was in for repair. Fortunately not needed as I have other vehicles available.

2. Car was taken away and fixed straight away by my insurance co but I had to pay my excess to get it back.

3. Van company was impenetrable, automated phone systems and the only people I could speak to were call centre drones who's script went no further than either where did I want a parcel picked up from or delivered to.

4. My insurance company still being awkward because no contact from other party and they still reckoned it was my fault.

5. After 2 weeks I got fed up and managed to find a phone number for the delivery company CEO, called them and spoke to their PA.

6. Next day she called back with details of who I should call etc, at their claims management company.

7. Then had to spend 4 weeks chasing my insurance company to get it sorted with the claims management company who initially wouldn't accept liability despite me having a recording of liability being admitted.

8. Finally got it all sorted about 3 months after the event as my insurance was due for renewal and I didn't want an at fault claim on my record and I wanted my excess back.

It just seems to take these large organisations an age to get anything done as they wait for a response from the other large organisation. I suppose for most people getting the car fixed is the main priority and they did sort that quickly. everything after that just seem to be way down the priority list.

Good luck but you are probably going to have to do some pushing. And in all this the thing that hacked me off the most was the "it must be your fault" position my (now ex) insurance company took because it was the front of my car and the back of his van.

[Edited on 10/11/15 by Brook_lands]

morcus

posted on 10/11/15 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know so many people who've had vans damage there cars, in marked vans, then just try to run off, and like others have said, its your word against there's if there's no CCTV. In the last couple of years my mum has had two cars damaged by vans while they've been at dealerships for servicing, the last one was a few months ago and my dad saw it and confronted the driver (who had squeezed passed the car, denting the side and knocking trim off the van to part about 20 feet closer to the door to deliver a small package. The guy tried to deny it even though my dad had part of his van but fortunately the dealership were able to back him up.

There is always a risk that he will report it as you crashing into him which can land you in it, personally in your situation I'd report it to your insurance and get it sorted.

Moral of the story, get a dash cam. I think I might get one myself.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

coyoteboy

posted on 10/11/15 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
On the positive side, friend of mine got hit in a car park by a 44tonner. Company excess was high so they settled out of insurance with a hefty apology compensation.

TheGiantTribble

posted on 10/11/15 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Rather than phoning them, Email is your friend, and always put a reasonable timescale that you expect them to reply in, or better still, if they have a company policy or company missions statement, of answering people within a certain time quote that at them.
Good luck.

beaver34

posted on 11/11/15 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
or if you have no luck get on social media, sort all my issues out when companies dont want to help at a store or local level
larchtree

posted on 11/11/15 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Accident!!

Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful
larchtree

posted on 11/12/15 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Accident!

Have faith!
After all my concerns, other side accepted responsibility car is sorted and will get my excess back!

D

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.