Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: ceiling tiles and painting plasterboard
prawnabie

posted on 11/4/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
OT: ceiling tiles and painting plasterboard

Hi all,

I have a garage that has been converted into a snooker room by the previous owners. As part of this, they framed, insulated, plaster boarded and papered the walls, plaster boarded the ceiling and put polystyrene tiles/coving up.

I have took the coving down and am trying to remove the tiles but due to them being stuck up with tile adhesive I am struggling and it looks a right mess!! I have a large area to do (approx 10x 8x4 foot sheets worth) so I am contemplating buying some more sheets of plasterboard and covering the tiles with these.

If this is ok to do, can I just tape over the joints and paint with emulsion? Im not bothered about seeing the screw heads/ joins under the tape or filling anything as it is only the ceiling...

Thanks,
Shaun

Slimy38

posted on 11/4/16 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
My garage ceiling is just the plain plasterboard, it's not even got taped seams. It's not overly attractive, but a simple skim would have been a couple of hundred just due to the size.
hizzi

posted on 12/4/16 at 04:21 AM Reply With Quote
get rid of the tiles major major fire hazard. bit messy to remove but go at it with something big like a spade or ames taping blade
designer

posted on 12/4/16 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
I got so fedup with removing polystyrene tiles from a ceiling that I ended up melting them all with a blowlamp!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ruskino80

posted on 12/4/16 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
overboarding possibly could oveload any poorly fitted subframe, if you are considering putting up new board then why not simply remove all the old and use the opportunity to improve lighting etc . would make putting up new boards easier as well due to being able to see the timbers.
nick205

posted on 12/4/16 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd be inclined to remove the whole lot and pay a plasterer to re-board and skim coat it. You could then add insulation above it and paint it white underneath to give the best light transmission.

ETA...when I moved in to my house 10 years ago I did this in my kitchen after knocking through into the dining room. The ceiling had a stippled plaster finish and it was easier to remove the plasterboard and have it recovered and skimmed over. Ceiling is now perfectly flat and easy to fix to for lights etc.

[Edited on 12/4/16 by nick205]

prawnabie

posted on 12/4/16 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies!

Im not after a perfect finish, I just want to get rid of the ceiling tiles but removing them all with a scraper is going to take days and I just don't have the time.

Looks like i have 2 options..

Board over the ceiling tiles using longer drywall screws or get up in the loft, remove the insulation from a board, kick it through, replace it and carry on with the next - there are 8 full boards and 4 half ones..

BenB

posted on 13/4/16 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be tempted to rent a big arse roofing blowtorch and a fire extinguisher and go for it. The plasterboard isn't going to burn so the polystyrene will just melt and drop off.
David Jenkins

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd be tempted to rent a big arse roofing blowtorch and a fire extinguisher and go for it. The plasterboard isn't going to burn so the polystyrene will just melt and drop off.

Apart from being scarily dangerous - you'd still be left with the lumps of glue. Getting the tiles off is the easy bit, it's the glue that's the problem, I believe.

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/4/16 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Just getting quotes to do a refurb on a house. Some rooms have polystyrene tiles, bothe builders ahve said just overboard with 3/8 plasterboard and skim. In your case, I would just overboard with taper edge boards, tape all joins and get the caulking tool out to skim the joints with joint filler (or artex!). I have done a few like that, finish is good enough to paint and honestly 99% as good as a skim. But I can't plaster....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.