Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving Advice Needed?
mdc124

posted on 7/2/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Driving Advice Needed?

So? Do we need driving lessons?

Right I'll put this in context - I've crashed enough cars through stupidity, lack of observation, not my fault etc, I've been (literally) mashed by someone else's lack of observation/falling asleep but reading some of the recent posts there seems to be quite a few people getting 'caught out' and surprised (very literally) by the performance of their (very obviously stupidly powerful) pride and joys recently (and wrt hellfire - somene else's )

I'd gladly have someone really experienced help me to be safer whilst enjoying my car more - any offers?

Cheers

[Edited on 7/2/05 by mdc124]

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 7/2/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
£300 spent on a race drivers school does the same as £3000 spent on the car, well worth a day out, a lot will instruct in your own car too,

it will help on the road.

mdc124

posted on 7/2/05 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Any suggestions who/where?

maybe we could get a session going ?

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/2/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
good driving can mean many things. a good driver could be the man who never EVER breaks the speed limit, always drives like he's on a test, never drives tired (or worse) and plans each journey to avoid trouble, and literally has practically no chance of killing anyone.

or it could be the man who can opposite lock round corners, pull out in tiny gaps, perfectly judge when overtaking is possible, knows all the shortcuts and ratruns etc...

the best approach to not smashing your car or killing anyone, is to drive slowly. since this blatently isnt going to happen, you need to be disciplined about when it is safe to have fun. You need to practice sideways control, and you need the car setting up right. good tyre choice too.

trackdays are probably a good way to practice extreme driving safely.

i find myself drawn in both directions - i sometimes drive like im no a test (literally, mirror signal manouver) just to be sure i still can. i also sometimes drive like a lunatic, because it would be a waste of all my youthful practice!

the better part of valour is discretion (or however the saying goes). i often curse myself after a silly manouver, thinking how if i miss the brake first time there would be literally no time for a second pass, or when i have approached a roundabout fast and allowed the stopping distance to slightly overlap the visability thingy, if you see what i mean.

best approach is just to be careful. My own favourite is handbraking in the snow, it really does make a difference when you find things going accidentally broadside...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Marcus

posted on 7/2/05 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
mmmm snow!!

Don't see enough of it recently. I once went 'missing' for 4 hours on my way home from work, was so addicted to going sideways in my Manta!!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

Marcus

mmmm snow!!

Don't see enough of it recently. I once went 'missing' for 4 hours on my way home from work, was so addicted to going sideways in my Manta!!

Marcus

Marcus

Marcus

mmmm snow!!

Marcus

Marcus

David Jenkins

posted on 7/2/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
So much fun, you had to say it 3 times?

David

Jon Ison

posted on 7/2/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
that happend to me but i deleted 2 of em,

Tim Harmer, drove the Genisiss in the last two seasons of RGB, multiple class champion and does 1 to 1 sessions in your car, you'l have to search for him and contact numbers but he's yorkshire based and very good.

Trackdays are fine but try and book one that offers tuition, a lot do, again in your own car, its well worth it, you'l be a safer driver and your driving will be more enjoyable.

not ashamed to admit i grab a lesson when i can, footballers train every day dont they ? (trouble is i think my team does all there training in the bar)

krlthms

posted on 7/2/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
footballers train every day dont they ? (trouble is i think my team does all there training in the bar)

Jon, you took the words right out of my mouth. Beckham, Ronaldo et al have to turn up and practice TWICE a day, otherwise they don't get to play.
Cheers
KT

Jasper

posted on 8/2/05 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - I agree, can never stop learning. I did track days and had some tuiton (full day with Motorsports Events - £99 well spent) when I built mine (still crashed it ). When I build the next I'll be shelling out for some more lessons on a track.

For me it was also good to get the feel of the car going sideways under power - as having never really done this before. I should have made sure I'd got more track practice in when it wasn't perfectly dry.

locoboy

posted on 9/2/05 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I got quite dispondant with my car after about 12 months of ownership because the front would always lock up really easily on bone dry roads with moderate braking and on wet roads when i hovered my foot over the pedal!

I wanted to tart it up to sell it and i saw some alloys with tyres at a good price so nailed them on and it looked 10x better.

Took it for a blast and the car was transformed, i can hammer the brakes with confidence on a dry road and only in extreme circumstances does the front lock up.

Damp road conditions are never a pleasure to drive on but now they are not a worry like they used to be

and the reason why

Tyre choice.

The old wheels had nasty cheap remoulds on and the alloys i bought have decent avon SV1 rubber around them.

I never ever thought that tyres would make THAT much difference - it released a whole new driving experience and reinstilled my passion for all things 7 and i decided not to sell it

Its for sale again now though but only because i need the £££ to crack on with my new build

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.