Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fiction becoming fact?
ned

posted on 22/7/05 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
fiction becoming fact?

Anyone who has seen one or either of the films: '1984' & 'Enemy of the state' will know what i'm on about.

big brother, the ministry of information, cctv everywhere, satelite pictures with resolution that could read your passport from space, text message, internet and phone network systems that pickup on 'danger words' and store them on governement systems, and id cards in the next few years...

All of the above was in one of the above aforementioned films and I strongly believe is now becoming if not already become reality.

Its a bit scary when you think about it, the number of forms you fill in, the number of accounts you hold, how many places you personal info is, how many agencies hold this info. I got a hold of my credit rating report the other day, i didn't realise every account/hire purchase or other agreement i've ever entered into was held on record for 6 years!

The government has access to every text message sent in the uk from the last few years i gather, so there must effectively be a ministry of information, probably enshrouded within the security services of mi5/6. add to this indexed databases of all occurrences of the words bomb on websites, msn, email etc then all the people analysing this information.

not sure what the point of posting this is, but i was thinking about this as i walked home last nigh and again on the way into work this morning.

anyone care to discuss/comment?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 22/7/05 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Aye.......eee be watching and no mistake.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 22/7/05 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
How do you tell a joke to an MI5 agent? send it in an email to someone else and put the words bomb, iraq, terrorist, suicide, islam, allah ... in the title. It will be read.

Did you hear about the guy in America who was asked to spell his name whilst booking an airline ticket. he said "B for bomb, I for Iraq, T for terrorist..." He was arrested and "questioned".

I recently learned, from a policeman on the local news, thet Birmingham city centre is ringed by number plate recognition cameras so that every car that goes through the city is logged. With all this knowledge of car movement, facial recognition CCTV, phone, email and text logs, they'd know what everyone was up to and where everyone was going. Recent events show that not to be quite true.

In the film "enemy of the state", the 'old guy' had a computer that wasn't linked to the internet and only spoke to people in person. He wore non-descript clothes and a hat that coverred his face. If you don't want to be seen, this is what you'll have to do. Oh, and live in the countryside where there are no CCTV cameras.

JAG

posted on 22/7/05 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I completely agree with you Ned. We do live in a highly regulated and regimented society and if WE allow it it will only get worse.

How about the road pricing scheme - soon the Government/MI5/MI6 will be able to tell exactly where your car/you have been all day long.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Dillinger1977

posted on 22/7/05 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
people dont like other people 'spying', but
if arrests were made regarding the bombings, due to cctv footage, would it be 'okay' then?

or how about some drunken idiot punches your girlfreind in town on a night out. would you rather have his mug caught in the act, or him get away with it?

im not arsed myself. im doing nothing wrong so ive got nothing to worry about. even credit history, rentals.. not bothered. model citizen, me
anyone that 'took an interest' would be bored rigid within 5 minutes.

-Rog

tri

posted on 22/7/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
i agree with above if your not braking law who cares who is watching you

Tri

zetec

posted on 22/7/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'll go with that. I'm not sure why people get so concerned if they have nothing to hide. I view it as being for my own good. My wife got on the tube this morning and if CCTV means people get caught doing wrong then that's fine by me.
MikeP

posted on 22/7/05 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tri
i agree with above if your not braking law who cares who is watching you

Nothing if you have absolute faith that those collecting the information are infallable and above reproach - that it will never be misused or accessible to someone who will. Information is power and identities are stolen.

Another similar theme is Minority Report - the eye scans that tailored advertising and that tracked him wherever he ran.

Spyderman

posted on 22/7/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dillinger1977
people dont like other people 'spying', but
if arrests were made regarding the bombings, due to cctv footage, would it be 'okay' then?

or how about some drunken idiot punches your girlfreind in town on a night out. would you rather have his mug caught in the act, or him get away with it?

The big problem with that is that policing is done on a cost basis. On a high profile/priority crime all stops are pulled out to catch the perpetrator.
For a low profile crime like a mugging or theft then the cost of checking such video footage is too high. It is only when there are purges on such crimes that the resources are available.
For things like motoring offences it is easier for a camera to be used as ID recognition via number plates is easily done. Far too much is automated these days and has no human judgement involved..

Terry

Spyderman

JoelP

posted on 22/7/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP
[Nothing if you have absolute faith that those collecting the information are infallable and above reproach - that it will never be misused or accessible to someone who will.

Well, i once had this discussion with my brother, and concluded that if you cant trust the police etc, you're stuffed anyway.

As said above, i really for the life of me cant understand why so many seemingly normal law abiding citizens seem so concerned with who may be watching or listening? What difference does it make? I couldnt care less myself.

So what if they know where my car has driven? Or if they know what pubs ive been in? Or even what ive drunk? Its irrelevant, and it would interest no one.

And if someone found out information (what info, you may ask... my middle name?!) and used it against me, well thats just unlucky.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

jonbeedle

posted on 22/7/05 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
We are all entitled to some privacy. CCTV cameras and police speed cameras although useful in some cases are often a cheap substitute for the copper on the beat.
The introduction of ID cards is a step onto the slippery slope. Eventually, if you let this happen, you will not be able to have a crap without someone knowing about it.
George Orwell's classic is fast becoming reality!

"Everyone is entitled to an opinion however stupid!"

steve_gus

posted on 22/7/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
i got my credit report a couple years back. it also lists all your credit cards, and how regularly you pay them. It also had an adress on it that I lived at 15 years ago!

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

Fozzie

posted on 22/7/05 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
There was this very same discussion on the site a couple of weeks back......

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

wilkingj

posted on 23/7/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm And you think they dont listen to phone calls, monitor Emails, etc etc...

You lot must be Naieve or something.
I KNOW its true... I have had personal experience of something I said on a phone call late one night to a close mate.

Special Branch turned up two days later as a result.
This was twenty years ago!!

I had observed a very unusual purchase of 25 Radio transmitters at a Radio ham Show (like Stoneliegh but for radio geeks)
They were Irish accented, Paid Cash for 25 x £325 which was a LOT in 1980. What twigged me to think it was odd, is that Radio Hams are like Locosters.... At a RALLY I would want a discount for cash on a single purchase... Let alone a BIG discount for 25 radios.
They paid cash and FULL retail price!.
I know Harvey the stall holder (done buisness with him before) and he was laughing up his sleeve!.. He had made a killing.
He couldnt see anything wrong.. Just some stupid Paddy's paying over the odds. I thought differently and discussed it with a mate that night. And Bob's yer uncle got an investigation into who I was!.

I could tell you a lot more about this, but its too public, and best forgotten.

So 20 years ago they were listening.

In the mid 50's MI5 or 6 bought a bit of land adjacent to the Berlin wall, built a large warehouse and tunnelled under the Berlin wall into a phone manhole and tapped the cables which went into the East German Military Headquarters. They didnt get anything really sensitive, but the background info on how they ran the military, and the general situation between officers and different divisions gave the UK a HUGE insight into the general state of affairs in the East German Army. Even low level intelligence paints a picture, or colours in the the rest of the picture you get from the high level intelligence.. Its all info and all useful.
BTW... the wiring was all dont by GPO (as then) Engineers.. Ive seen some of the Photo's !! Nice neat job!!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

steve_gus

posted on 23/7/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
wilkingj

you dont think that your mate saw it as really serious and called the police?

there are millions of calls every day, most about complete twaddle between mums and their kids and the like. How many could seriously be monitored?

I recon your mate informed.

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

tadltd

posted on 23/7/05 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I guess we won't be hearing from the guys that posted in this thread for a while...

DOH!

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.