Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: chevy 4.3 v6
dpriest

posted on 20/8/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
chevy 4.3 v6

hi, i was planning on a BEC but i have an old chevy s10 laying around so i was wondering: will the 4.3 v6 fit in a locost? and if no, what mods would i have to do to make it fit?, will the rear axle(solid) be too wide?, will the front suspension work?

i havn't built the frame yet, and want to fiberglass my own bodywork to save some money so if the chassis would need to be widend to fit the axle its not that big of a deal but i was just wondering because i do want it to look like a 7

thanks
Dave

chrisg

posted on 20/8/05 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
You could use the engine, possibly using a plus four inch frame, but the issue really is weight, heavy engines adversely affect the handling.

How much does it weigh?

Cheers

Chris

jestre

posted on 20/8/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
The Stalker runs the Chevy 2.8l with s-10 drive train.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/stalkerv6/index.html

[Edited on 20/8/05 by jestre]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jestre

posted on 20/8/05 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
so, most of the suspension and rear end are useuable.

[Edited on 20/8/05 by jestre]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dpriest

posted on 20/8/05 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
im not sure how much it weighs because i have not yet pulled anything from the truck. i know the weight will hurt the handleing but i dont really intend to do very much track type driving with it so im not to worried. i just want to have fun building it and try not to spend too much money on it. and i may eventually switch to a bike engine when i have more money.

thanks
Dave

chrisg

posted on 20/8/05 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
The mcSorley plans include larger versions, online. I don't have the link but I'm sure one will be along shortly

Cheers

Chris

Ronin

posted on 20/8/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
They can be found here
dpriest

posted on 20/8/05 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
yep, i have the mcsorley +4 plans but i wasn't sure if the 4.3 would fit, or if the rear axle would be too wide.

thanks
Dave

chrisg

posted on 20/8/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin
They can be found here

told you!

Cheers

Chris

dpriest

posted on 20/8/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
ok, so if i use the +4 mcsorley chassis can i use the back axle of the s10? or will it be to wide?
and can i use the whole front suspension(not just the upright?)

thanks
Dave

[Edited on 20/8/05 by dpriest]

chrisg

posted on 20/8/05 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
It's tape measure time unless somebody knows The width of the S10 axle?- as a guide uk Capri axles used with a +4 chassis are 52 inches across the back plates, If it's close to that you could make up the difference in the rear wheel arches.

Cheers

Chris

dpriest

posted on 20/8/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
i just went out and measured it and it is 58 inches wms-wms, and about 54 inches from the back of the brake drums, i assume this is an acceptable width?

Thanks
Dave

Mikeo

posted on 21/8/05 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have also been looking at the S10 for a donor. I think with a +4 (wider) chassis the rear axle will be fine. Plus you can get them with disc brakes and the parts are cheap. As far as the front end parts I am also planning to use S10 uprights and discs. The Stalker V6 uses S10 components so we should be able to make them work with the Locost.

Mike

Syd Bridge

posted on 21/8/05 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
The Chevvy V6 is the same as the Buick/Holden thing in Aus. The V8's are easier to fit because they aren't as tall. You'll need a fairly tall scuttle, and nosecone. Good power though.
dpriest

posted on 21/8/05 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikeo
I am also planning to use S10 uprights and discs.
Mike

Mike, are you useing all of the s10 front suspension or just the upright? i think i am going to build my own wishbones just because the ones on my s10 donor are so ugly.

Also, will the steering rack from the s10 be useable?

Thanks
Dave

Dale

posted on 21/8/05 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
The stalker as far as I know uses the upright and a chevette rack. The 4.3 is a very torquey motor- I used to have one-. Unfortunatly they require alot - I mean alot of airflow and cooling- There were alot of problems with them neading rebuilds at around 130k km by then the oil rings had disintigrated. That was in the Safari and astro vans. Same engine seamed to last forever in the pickups.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

dpriest

posted on 22/8/05 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
bought the trans

i just got back from the junkyard and i bought a 5 speed trans,bellhousing, and the wiring harness for the 4.3(mine got burned) all for $30, now i just need to go and pull it out of the truck, and get a new clutch.

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.