Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My Front End Bones Sorted...
Avoneer

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Children - my head hurts now.

Both rose joints are very high quality from TAD Ltd and will be both screwed in the same amount and shimmed with washers.

I'm sure they'll be fine and probably a lot better than some other Locost builds that I have seen.

Let's all smile and be happy.

Pat

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 6/12/05 at 04:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
"surely we are talking less than tenths of mm here,"

It quite a long time since imperial was used in machine shops, and even when it was, a 'tenth' always refered to a tenth of a thou (inch) and only refered to when precission grinding.

Nope, sorry Mark, we only work in imperial, never metric in our workshop. And we also work to very tight tolerances which always include 'thou' and quite often smaller! And no, we don't do precision grinding. We also use boxes of shims exactly as Rorty describes!

Well done Pat! I will be following how they perform with keen interest!

ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I used to work in a machine shop in the 80's, we were transfering to metric to get ISO acreditation (MOD work).

The boxes of shims were refered to a 'slips', ultra accurate, ground blocks used for comparative measuring

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Syd Bridge

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Surely you could adjust castor by unequal turns of the joint. Done in racing all the time, for fine tuning.

Just need to shim them differently to account for the differences in slack. A little movement won't hurt. A fingernail thickness is accurate enough.

You don't have to be e member of MENSA to work this out. Then again, some are in no danger of an invite to that special club, either!

AS for the rodends..I use 10mmSKF's as a matter of course in the streetrod chassis I do. These ends are rated to over 6K lbs in tension. That's each!!!! So, each rod end can carry 3-4 average locosts on its own. How strong do you need it to be?

If you can do the maths(and that is a big IF for one or two 'experts' here), you could get away with much smaller, but the SVA inspectors get a bit peculiar with small, highly rated parts. In their words, "They just dont LOOK big enough, even if they are overstrength" Therein lies the problem with the uneducated.

Syd.

It has been proven, that even a monkey can be taught to use a basic 3d CAD program, so only a few probs for an irish ex-pat.

[Edited on 6/12/05 by Syd Bridge]

Fred W B

posted on 6/12/05 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
syd - How about some pictures of these chassis's you do?

Cheers

Fred WB

Fozzie

posted on 6/12/05 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I used to work in a machine shop in the 80's, we were transfering to metric to get ISO acreditation (MOD work).

The boxes of shims were refered to a 'slips', ultra accurate, ground blocks used for comparative measuring

That explains it! 1980's stuff is ultra modern for our workshop...lololol, We don't touch stuff newer than 1970's lololol....Dinosaurs are alive and well in darkest Surrey.
ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Mix

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Handbags at the ready
Fred W B

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sid, WTF prompted that outburst....

I try to form an opinion of people by what they do, not what they say. You keep hinting at your extensive background in car fabrication, and engineering knowledge, so I am genuinely interested in what you are currently building or have built in the past.

I think that everyone builds to their own level of satisfaction, and this will vary widely depending on the resources and skills available to each person.

Regards

Fred WB

Fred W B

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sid, WTF prompted that outburst....

I try to form an opinion of people by what they do, not what they say. You keep hinting at your extensive background in car fabrication, and engineering knowledge, so I am genuinely interested in what you are currently building or have built in the past.

I think that everyone builds to their own level of satisfaction, and this will vary widely depending on the resources and skills available to each person.

Regards

Fred WB

Mix

posted on 6/12/05 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Fred That's Syd with a .

Hence my comment

Mick

Hellfire

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Fred, if you look at the profile of that last post by Syd, you'll probably notice that it wasn't really his. (1st Post) Just someone on here trying to wind him up possibly

Hold tight though, this could be an interesting ride...............

[Edited on 6-12-05 by Hellfire]

Fred W B

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Okay, hadn't noticed the "noobie"

Fred WB

MikeRJ

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
That would be like saying my shoes would fit you.
There are so many variables such as brand, material, construction, method of mounting, weight of car, length of trailing arm, horse power etc. etc.
Without knowing what the car is, I would say not. It seems light for any trailing arm.
If you want to email me with more details, I'll give it some thought.

It's a locost, appropriately enough! Essentialy a book chassis but 4" wider and 1" taller so will be a little heavier (wild guess...600kg?). Engine is a 20XE with bike throttle bodies, say ~170bhp.

I'm using a De-dion rear axle so the rod ends don't have to cope with any torque reaction force from the diff. I've seen 1/2" rod ends used in this application before, but of course that dosen't mean they are a good choice.

Syd Bridge

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Syd Bridge is not Syd Bridge. Noobie.

The genuine article has no . full stop, period, call it what you want.

The Syd Bridge. (full stop) is Rorty.

But please, let him carry on, his description of himself is very apt. Concise to the letter.

Just have a good look out for the . full stop if any of his childish posts appear again.

Syd.

And Fred, I'll have a chassis assembled in a couple of days, then I will try and post a pic.

[Edited on 6/12/05 by Syd Bridge]

NS Dev

posted on 6/12/05 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Sorry for being stupid, but where does the binding come in?

I've jumped all the crap in between.............the easy way to adjust it is just use the washers! Use the rose joints to move in and out (so principally static camber change) and washers for fore/aft (principally castor change)

Make everything adjustable and yopu have a lot of setup to do, but you can pull some amusing tricks with castor and camber changes in roll, but then you need to know what you are doing..........which is why I did it like this......... (if only I knew what I were doing!!! all wild guesswork but I'm picking up another trophy soon, god knows how that happened!!!)

apologies for the state of the car, never washed it after the last race (was only in August aftert all)

grassersteer1
grassersteer1

grassersteer2
grassersteer2

blueshift

posted on 6/12/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hooray, Syd has come out of the woodwork to fire a few more snide insults around and start arguments. It wouldn't be nearly as entertaining if he left.

I am fortunate enough (?) to have had a similarly inclined friend at university, over the years I have learned to find amusement in it rather than irritation.

Mad Dave

posted on 6/12/05 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer Syd Bridge. (noobie)
Avoneer

posted on 6/12/05 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave - are you stoking the fire as well?

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 6/12/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Jeez can we stop the insult firing!!!

Don't judge people unless you know who they are. Syd has offered a LOT of advice to me regarding my race car, all of it off this forum and away from stupid snide remarks.

Lets get in the real world and stop acting like twatty kids.

Going back to avoneer's original point................washers work, just use them. Get decent ones and they are exactly the same thickness, can be 0.75mm or 1mm thick or whatever, then measure the setup needed, count out the washers for each side and bob is your uncle.

There is no need to do anything else.

My next grasser will almost certainly NOT have the adjustable wishbone system in the photos above. This time I will make a jig and use the washer adjustment system.

Stephant

posted on 6/12/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I would keep the pictured upper wishbone.To me,this is the way it should be done,when using rose joints:they can't
be stressed by mounting failure,and setting caster is very easy, without a third hand

Syd :
which type of SKF joints do jou use ? there are so many.Do you have a part number?
Regards,Stephan

flak monkey

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Jeez can we stop the insult firing!!!

Don't judge people unless you know who they are. Syd has offered a LOT of advice to me regarding my race car, all of it off this forum and away from stupid snide remarks.

Lets get in the real world and stop acting like twatty kids.

Too bloody right...

OK so Syd can be a bit blunt at times, but who cares? Dont take everything too personally. Most of us dont know each other in person, and its hard to tell whether someone is saying something sarcastically or not just through a written message.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Rorty

posted on 6/12/05 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
What a mess.
Washers...any washers...will work fine, as long as the wishbone is free to pivot. Use common sense rather than slagging people off.
I'm sure if you trawled the bearing catalogues you could find a suitable 8mm rod end, but why go to all the bother? Most Locost builders don't know about the various grades and strengths of the huge array of rod ends available, so it's safer to say use a 1/2" rod end because then, even if they purchase a lesser quality joint, it will more than likely be up to the job. Also, 1/2" rod ends must be the most widely available size; every bearing shop I've ever been into has at least double the amount of half-inchers than any other size. They buy 1/2" rod ends in bulk and we see the price benefit. Many 1/2" rod ends are cheaper than commensurate 3/8" and 5/16".

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Triton

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
And the rubber button is?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Avoneer

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
But my rod ends are 12mm

Pat...

Triton

posted on 6/12/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
What grade are they Pat?....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.