Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tilting seats - anyone done it?
RazMan

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Tilting seats - anyone done it?

Just sorting out the bracketry for my seats and it ocurred to me that I could access the 'dead' area behind the seats if they were to tilt forward on a hinge.

Has anyone done this? I can easily weld a hinge to the front of the seat mounts but what about the catch/release mechanism?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
We had the seats on runners so you could adjust the seating position, and slide them forward to get to the space behind.

But the it does feel so much better without the runners, a much better seating position.

nitram38

posted on 13/4/06 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Try getting the seat sub-frame from a 2-door, 4 seater car. They have to tilt!

RazMan

posted on 13/4/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
MkIndy7 - Can't go the seat runner route as the seat is in a recessed floor pan and between two chassis rails.

nitram38 - Good idea, I'll give my local scrappy a visit

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 14/4/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
MkIndy7 - Can't go the seat runner route as the seat is in a recessed floor pan and between two chassis rails.

nitram38 - Good idea, I'll give my local scrappy a visit

From memory, at least some old Minis had seats where the whole thing tilted forward (i.e. not just the backrest). Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Triton

posted on 14/4/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Tilting a seat will mean that a secure catch of some kind is needed with an easy way of releasing and closing it.....Old Mini's with lift up seats and no rear catch can and DO fail the MOT for that even though they were made that way.
Easy enough to do though.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

MkIndy7

posted on 15/4/06 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I think i've seen one of the manuracturers like Cobra do the tilting subframes or somebody does so you can fit the cheaper type solid buckets in 2 door cars.

Or another idea, could you get to this area from inside the "boot" and have a closable compartment in there.

RazMan

posted on 15/4/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
I think i've seen one of the manuracturers like Cobra do the tilting subframes or somebody does so you can fit the cheaper type solid buckets in 2 door cars.

Or another idea, could you get to this area from inside the "boot" and have a closable compartment in there.

My 'boot' is the engine bay - it's a middy

Cheers,
Raz

omega0684

posted on 15/4/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
raz have you got ur seats then? get some pickies up!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

MkIndy7

posted on 15/4/06 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Doh! lol, Stupid me,

This was the kind of thing I ment for the seat runners tho.

http://www.rallynuts.com/motorsport/OMP_Race_Seats_1767/OMP_Seat_Tilting_Frame_for_2_door_cars_2431.asp

Just typed "tilting subframes" in Yahoo and it came up with quite a few examples from different Manufacturers.

RazMan

posted on 15/4/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
raz have you got ur seats then? get some pickies up!

They are Ultima seats and are exactly the right angle for my Aeon GT. They still require a bit of modding to fit in between my chassis rails (to maximise the headroom) but I'm working on the bracketry as we speak - and the hinge idea works too! I bought a pair of hinges from B&Q and welded them onto a subframe which pivots on the leading edge - just got to figure out the latch mechanism now and the OMP link has given me an idea for that (ta very much MkIndy7 ) If all goes to plan I should be able to tilt the seats forward enough to access the storage boxes (actually Metro glove boxes) mounted behind them.
Trimming them is going to be fun - got some 10mm camping mat and RazLady is going to make some Alcantara covers and cushion inserts. Rescued attachment Ultima seat.jpg
Rescued attachment Ultima seat.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

Humbug

posted on 15/4/06 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
I got there before you with the Metro glove box idea (just one side, though)!

Rescued attachment 2005-12-10 ST glove box in car 1.jpg
Rescued attachment 2005-12-10 ST glove box in car 1.jpg

RazMan

posted on 15/4/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Humbug - I think it was your post a few months back that gave me the idea! They are just the right shape to fit in the dead area.

I'm thinking about using something like this for the latch

Any one see any SVA problems?

[Edited on 15-4-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

MkIndy7

posted on 15/4/06 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Nope those catches look pretty sufficient.

It might just be worth drilling them and pitting an R clip or similar in somewhere to lock them purely for the SVA. Not that you nesacerily need them, just an idea to save you having to go back should this be an issue.

We had to take the runners off due to the seatbelt heights and could only get 2 bolts in each seat then, and he just tried to wobble them and said "yeh there fine", probably because should you crash its the hranesses that stop you flying out anyway.

RazMan

posted on 16/4/06 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a similar situation with my harness holes being slightly too low. I will have to open the cutouts a little to get them just right. Are there any mouldings available for these cutouts? It would look a lot neater than the usual edge trim.

Cheers,
Raz

Chippy

posted on 17/4/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Razman, don't know if you have sorted your seats yet, but if not pop to your local scrappy and check out the Pug 205 two door. They ae fitted with very nice tilt seat runners, lever opperated, could be just what you are looking for. Regards Chippy
Chippy

posted on 17/4/06 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Razman, don't know if you have sorted your seats yet, but if not pop to your local scrappy and check out the Pug 205 two door. They are fitted with very nice tilt seat runners, lever opperated, could be just what you are looking for. Regards Chippy
RazMan

posted on 18/4/06 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Chippy - I've made a prototype which didn't allow enough clearance between the seat and roof so I'm presently remaking it. I couldn't use any runners as the seat sits inside a recessed floor pan and will only fit in one position, so anyone shorter or taller than me will not be able to drive (RazLady included ).

I've welded some stainless marine quality hinges to the front of a subframe and attached a trailer draw bolt (see above pic) which locks the seat in position.

Cheers,
Raz

Chippy

posted on 18/4/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Razman, it was just an idea, as the 205 two door runners are very neat. Best of luck with your tilt mechanism, done in the true Locost manner. Regards Chippy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.