Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump clearance (as posted in vortx section)
Krismc

posted on 28/4/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sump clearance (as posted in vortx section)

...just a repost from vortx section for hints on what to do.... and some pics if possible of engine mounts!

.....or lack off!!!

How much Sump clearance do people have on there cars, what is the measurment....

a) The bottom of there engine to the bottom of the car ?

b) The bottom of there engine to the floor?

At the moment my engine sticks out 3 inches and the the engine is 10-15mm from the floor??

The springs are wound up around 2 inches, cant wind them by hand any further i need a tool!!! (c spaner)

and its not the sump thats the lowest part, the gear box fixing side of the engine is lower than the sump by around 1/2inch?

What do i do??

And if i do lift my engine up further, how much can stick above the top most rails (ie how much bonnet clearance should i have)
currently i dont have the bonnet, and the engine sticks 8 inches above the top most rail in the front of the engine bay (see pics)

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 28/4/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
i really would want anything less than 3"/75mm under the lowest part of the sump unless you were certain to never come across any ramps speed bumps etc.

to measure it get the car to as near road weight as possible including driver then with the car on a flat floor measure the clearance. just remember that you also want the car to be slightly nose down as it helps reduce lift a higher speeds (so the chassis needs to be about 1" higher at the back than the front.)

Danozeman

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
My sump is actually sitting on the floor at the moment because my 13 inch front tyres are completely flat.

Iv propbably got about 3 inches with the 15's on. maybe a touch less. I am contemplating a scholar chopped sump.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Agriv8

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Khris,

Can you wind your front springs if you take the weight of them with a jack.

Rear wishboanes need to be parralel to the floor.

wil take a photo under mine as i have done speed bumps with no bother but I am running 16 in wheels.

Of to the show tomorow so will let you Tuesday wed of next week

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Markp

posted on 29/4/06 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Is that the zetec black top engine??

Are you using the type 9 box?

If so then the bit that is hanging down (if its the part where it joins the gear box) can be angle grinded off so that it is the same level as the gear box

Thats what I did.

Mark

PS you might need to shorten the sump as well, easy to do as its steel

[Edited on 29/4/06 by Markp]

Krismc

posted on 29/4/06 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Khris,

Can you wind your front springs if you take the weight of them with a jack.

Rear wishboanes need to be parralel to the floor.

wil take a photo under mine as i have done speed bumps with no bother but I am running 16 in wheels.

Of to the show tomorow so will let you Tuesday wed of next week

Regards

Agriv8
no i cant wind the front springs any more, even with weight of!

Rear wishbones are to be parellel to floor- ah right ill check that, is this the same on RT and Rt plus??

quote:

Is that the zetec black top engine??

yep, but now a orange top
quote:

Are you using the type 9 box?

yes

quote:

If so then the bit that is hanging down (if its the part where it joins the gear box) can be angle grinded off so that it is the same level as the gear box

Thats what I did.

Mark

will this affect fixing strenght or should or not go past the bolts??

quote:

PS you might need to shorten the sump as well, easy to do as its steel

i would like this but all the exchange units seem to be £120-£180

can anyone do this??

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 30/4/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
??

Markp

posted on 1/5/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the late reply,

I mated the engine with the gear box and cut the engine part exactly to the proflie of the gear box, (see pic) might seem a bit harsh but it will be fine if you stay with the profile of the gear box you can't go wrong.

Any steel fabricator can shorted your sump, if you do all the cutting then get the bloke to weld it back together, shouldn't cost too much.

Mark Rescued attachment CIMG0550.jpg
Rescued attachment CIMG0550.jpg

Krismc

posted on 1/5/06 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
thats ok ill cut that off then!

But im not sure about the sump im totally unsure what to shorten, also what about the pickup, baffles etc ? and will this ever cause problems with engine running dry?

Markp

posted on 1/5/06 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
depending which black top you have depends on the pick up pipe material, some have plastic the mondeo one is metal, three bolts and it comes off,

Once you have the engine and gearbox in, have a look at the clearance to the ground, work out how much you want off the sump and chop, ( i took about 1 - 1 1/2 inch off mine) cut all the way around.

Put this up to the engine and work out how much the pick up pipe needs to be altered. Chop and weld that,

Then weld a top back on to the sump, extend so it goes along the sump more. Job done.

With the black top, I found baffels weren't neccesary as its all baffeled above ther pick up pipe.

Mark

I'm not very good at explaining so try this,

sump1

Any thing else just let me know

Krismc

posted on 1/5/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
cheers!

i couldnt do this myself though, i would need to be done by sumone else!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.