Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: crossflow cam followers
02GF74

posted on 10/5/06 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
crossflow cam followers

as somoen said yesterday block needs to be upside down to remove cam and then fit them..... but would it be possible to do with engine in place and use 8 magnets to hold the follwers in place? how likely is that going to work?
Marcus

posted on 10/5/06 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
That might work, but getting magnets down the pushrod holes without sticking to the iron block may be an issue

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 10/5/06 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ok just realised you can get magnets on sticks! DOH!

Try it and let us know.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/06 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
No - you will have to get the engine out and turn it over - the joys of a built-in cam...

You're going to have to remove all the front covers anyway, then the timing gears & chain, then withdraw the cam towards the front of the car - do you have an engine's-worth of space in front of the engine?

Are you replacing the cam, or just doing some maintenance? If you're replacing it then you'll need a new set of followers anyway, otherwise you'll just wear away your nice new cam prematurely.

rgds,
David

britishtrident

posted on 10/5/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Possible but probably no time saved
David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/06 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
...and just think of the joy you will feel when one or more of the followers drops off its magnet and falls down into the sump...

[Edited on 10/5/06 by David Jenkins]

britishtrident

posted on 10/5/06 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Sump would have to be off anyway --- removing the sump in situ on kent engine is possible but a bit tricky, I used to have a special tool for getting to two back bolts out.

[Edited on 10/5/06 by britishtrident]

David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/06 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have spent several merry sessions lying under my car, trying to replace those 2 bolts at the back of the sump...

An absolute bar-steward.

Mr O2F... believe us - you'll regret trying to change the cam with the engine in place! And it's such a straightforward job with the engine out and on a proper stand.

flyingkiwi

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I have spent several merry sessions lying under my car, trying to replace those 2 bolts at the back of the sump...

An absolute bar-steward.

After asking around I modified the plate that fits between the engine and gearbox (had to modify it to fit the type 9) and once thats out the way the back two bolts are easily removed.

Was looking at the bottom end of my crossflow yesterday, tying to find a rather suspect knocking noise. Turns out the no 1 cylinder big end bearings fubar.

Contemplated removing the crank and cam in situ. No chance to do either. So engine out again!!!!!

The amount of time and effort you would spend trying to remove the cam in situ would most definately outweigh the time it takes to whip out the engine and stick it on a bench (that is if you have an engine hoist)!

Oh yeah, anyone out there have a nice shinny 1600 crank???? or want's a 1700 xflow???

Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

02GF74

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
ok, I am convinced, the cam get's wrapped up and stored for later.....
theconrodkid

posted on 10/5/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
done it before with some dobs of grease holding the follower up

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.