Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover 214 mot failure, advice please!
trogdor

posted on 1/6/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Rover 214 mot failure, advice please!

Hi, my housemates rover 214 sei failed its mot on emissions today, which i not good. is there any way to fix it reasonably easily? or is it likely the engine is worn and will need replacing? the garage was going on about putting a chip in it or replacing one. it sounds a bit dubious to me.

has any one got any expreince with k series? is it worth fixing it?

Danozeman

posted on 1/6/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
How old is it mate?

ounds like the lambda sensor or s light blow in the exhuast.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

trogdor

posted on 1/6/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
tis an 1994 version i believe, is an m reg.

MikeRJ

posted on 1/6/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
What was the actual cause of failure, i.e. CO, Hydrocarbons, Lambda?
trogdor

posted on 1/6/06 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
well i asked my housemate this and he doesn't know, the garage only said it failed on emissions, they are gonna ring him tomorrow with a quote if they can fix it. but i am abit dubious about it, mostly because of the lack of info.

i was also wondering if k series had a common thing with something like this, like with the head gasket reputation.

muzchap

posted on 1/6/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'd try the local scrappy for a Lamdba sensor.

It's either failed on CO2 emissions or the number of Hydrocarbons released into the atmosphere.

If it isn't the Lamdba - and it is the hydrocarbons - it's most likely a dodgy valve (according to my mechanic friend).

If it was me - I'd grab ECU and Lambda in case one or the other is bolloxed?

Get a quote from the garage though - interesting to see what they say it is - for an MOT failure they should give him the print-out immediately! He could be getting scammed!

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

Markp

posted on 1/6/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
The Missus fiesta failed on emissions, it turned out to be a breather hose with a big split in it. Replaced and sorted £11 from ford

ATB Mark

froggy

posted on 1/6/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
im with muzchap get the printout and post it on here for all your options, could be the ecu ,quite common but they do tend to leak from the inlet valves giving poor vacuum and failing the idle test , map and lambda worth a look but the print out will tell you where the problem is
britishtrident

posted on 1/6/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Is it Mpi or single point injection ?

Did it fail on fast idle test ?---- what RPM was the fast idle test carried out at due to a mistake in the data sheets a lot of older 214 are failled on fast idle because they are being tested at too high an RPM which puts the system into open loop mode.

Apart from that it could be a few things --- leak at the exhaust, throttle pot, lambda sensors have a finite life they slow down with age - 2nd hand ones are no go -- apart from the fact they may already be dead or lazy or the heater circuit burnt out, the Rover lambda is a swine to remove and is a unique to Rover MEMS type.,

dave r

posted on 1/6/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i was also wondering if k series had a common thing with something like this, like with the head gasket reputation.

the 1.4's are bomb proff, belive me i have tried to kill several

trogdor

posted on 1/6/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
funny u should say that, he blew the head gasket on it awhile ago. he has spent quite alot of money it now so wants to keep it as long as pos as its not worth out now!

thats what i am thinking with the lack of info, it could be a scam to get a few pennies out of him. will see what they say tomorrow.

britishtrident

posted on 2/6/06 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave r
quote:

the 1.4's are bomb proff, belive me i have tried to kill several

Yep -- if you keep if filled with coolant no problems, weakest link is the Pug gearbox and the clutch that comes with it, just had to pull the gearbox from a 45 1.6 because the clutch release bearing collapsed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.