Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stiff steering problem
smart51

posted on 7/6/06 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Stiff steering problem

My steering seems to have gone a bit stiff. I have to put a bit more effort into turning in before it moves. There is also less self steerin such that on gentle curves, it stays in whatever position you leave it and so have to turn back to straight ahead.

I have a shortened sierra rack with a quick rack fitted. It has been on the road for 6 months.

The car steers OK from lock to lock. Nothing is loose or visibly rubbing. What are likely causes of this extra friction?

Marcus

posted on 7/6/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Is it a Sierra column, check the plastic bush at the lower end, they wear.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 7/6/06 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. The plastic bush at the joint between the upper and lower columns is fine, I've checked this.
02GF74

posted on 7/6/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
have you jacked the front end of the car and stun the wheel?

check the balljoints - they can seize and then shear off (happened to a 101 that left an intereesting groove from the nato hitch in the road! google for LR 101)

Finally with front of the ground, rremove the ball jpoints and try the steering, that will locate the problem to the rack or column.

then undo the UJ on the column, that will show problem in rack or column if problem persists.

Locost82

posted on 7/6/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Divide and Conquer

I suggest you jack the front up and disconnect the steering column. Move the steering wheel and if the wheel is still stiff, the problem is in the column. If not, the problem is in the rack etc.

Divide the steering up into small parts as required to see what is stiff.

[Edited on 7/6/06 by Locost82]

Markp

posted on 7/6/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
the steering universal joint could be starting to seize.

ATB

Mark

scutter

posted on 7/6/06 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have this problem at the mo, it's caused by not clamping the upper column mount at 90 deg to the main shaft,
it's a winter fix for me as the dash, scuttle and upper mount need to be removed.

i'd try releasing the clamp and see if it gets any better.

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 7/6/06 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
It turns out that the plastic bearing thing was the big cause which was a surprise as it isn't tight. I greased it and took it out round the block. It is quite a lot better with less "sticktion" on initial turn in and more self centering. Though better, it still has quite some friction, though I guess this may be normal for a quickrack and small wheel.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.