Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which engine
merkurman

posted on 23/4/03 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
which engine

ok I am trying to choose which engine to use for my build up.

1. 2.3L/T5 combo. most likely in turbo form with efi but have parts to go na/carbed

2. 170/2.77 this is my fairlane inline six with it's three speed box. fairly light engine at only 425# and the box weighs near nothing.

the problems are that the 2.3L is very tall (couple inches higher than a 2.0L pinto) and the 170 is long (32" the 2.77 has a mechanical clutch setup which I think I can adapt fairly easily and the t5 uses a cable. either combo will be using a ford IRS and front uprights.

nick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 23/4/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought of Toyota 4age 1600 or Ford Zetec? Both should be easily available and poss to adapt to RWD, and will easily fit. Both also respond well to tuning with 200BHP without too much work.
merkurman

posted on 24/4/03 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
well I currently have both of these engines for free (out of the donor and my fairlane) import cars are impossible to find in my area. I can get a ztec but ther eis the cost factor and that I have to have a bell made to bolt it up

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/4/03 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
If you are building a book locost - im not - then if you see one of these cars in the flesh they are pretty tiny.

Part of the 'look' is a low bonnet line, key to engine choice. A lot less of a problem is engine lenght - bear in mind you need clearance at the front to alow the engine to come out - and go in in the first place.

The merkur engine looks good if I were in USA cos its got a lot of power for an older 2.3, but you have a height problem.

I know nothing about fairlanes, but would think a 1962 car might have a heavy iron motor and be rather long in a straight six format.

you need something 4 pots long (a V8 would be also), low and ideally light.

What about a bike engine - or do I recall the USA forbids bike engines in cars?

atb

Steve

Arthur Dent

posted on 24/4/03 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
2.3L turbo is really heavy - near small block V8 territory

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

merkurman

posted on 24/4/03 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
the 2.3L weighs more than the inline six (first gen thinwall casting engine) the six is as long as a small block ford 289/302 since it has a small bore and short timing cover but will need a little stretching. there is a aussie AL head that can be bolted on with some mods (cleveland style ports) which sheds another 20-30lbs. but the 2.3L can be tweaked for some impressive numbers pretty easily (300-400hp range) the only problem is the height of it. I would need to make custom manifolds for it unless I ran a sidedraft carb (kinda pricey here in the states) so I could run a heavy four cyl with alot of power or a lighter six which needs a longer chassis. I am talking to some one doing a six powered one and he had to add 5-6" in front of the fire wall to fit it in. the six is a very narrow engine though when compared to the 2.3L and uses a fairly small flywheel/clutch.

nick

merkurman

posted on 25/4/03 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
a little more drawing in ACAD seems that I will have to only lengthen the chassis for the six and most of it will fit under the hood (a little carby and cleaner sticking out) the idea I am looking at now it moving the fuel tank into the underbonet area on one side. then I can remove most of the rear spaceframe leaving only the diff cradle. then I could have a bolt on 'glass rear section with some different and more cury lines.

what do you think?

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.