Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Exhaust manifold spacers?
LightweightRobinHood

posted on 15/6/06 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Exhaust manifold spacers?

Upon fitting my exhaust tonight on my Lightweight, (mk engineering,) I have noticed a couple of things that could do with addressing.

The exhaust needs to be approx' 10 - 15 mm further away from the engine than it is. Does such a device as a pinto (thick metal?) exhaust manifold gasket exist? (I hope that makes sense, I will need 4 of them, or one long thick gasket, to push the exhaust further away.)
I have moved the engine as far over as it will go now, so it’s this thick gasket / extender or nothing. (......... has fingers crossed!)

The second thing I now need is a different shaped pinto alternator mount. The standard one now would mount the bottom of the alternator through the steering shaft! Obviously it needs to mount onto the engine in the same place, but the bit that accepts the long bar/screw for the alternator needs to come out higher.

I'm sure I can't be the first person with these issues (maybe in our RHSC builds!) but can anyone point me in the direction of any products / companies that make fat exhaust extenders/gaskets and different shaped alternator mounts????

Many thanks in advance,

Trevor.

PS - I will be at Newark Saturday morning, so I will trawl through the trade stands!

http://www.lightweightkitcar.blogspot.com

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 16/6/06 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
Trevor

Not sure about the exhaust gaskey problem. Only this i could suggest is using a number of standard pinto gaskets to provide some thickness. The standard ones are discreet gaskets. ie.e one per port.

As far as the alternator problem is concerned i may be able to help you. I had this problem on my car and as much as i moved the steering shaft, used smaller belts etc. i couldn't get the clearance.

I am sure you will get many suggestions to use a daihatsu van alternator mounted on the opposite side of the engine, due to its size and power etc. I decided that i couldn't afford this solution so had to think of an alternative.

The soultion i finally came up with was to make a 2mm thick plate to rise up the alternator by approx 1.25 inches. The plate bolts onto the block as the bracket would and the the bracket is secured to the plate by bolts that i welded through the plate.

The bracket has to be spaced away from the plate to allow for the heads of the bolts that go through to the head.

Perhaps the best way to show you what i mean is to attach a photo:

Nope, can't find one. Will attached a sketch in a minute...

Richard

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 16/6/06 at 03:38 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a rough sketch from memory. Its not very accurate but gives u the idea. Rescued attachment Alternator riser.jpg
Rescued attachment Alternator riser.jpg

flyingkiwi

posted on 16/6/06 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Have a chat with MK engineering. I had a similar problem with my xflow exhaust (fouling on the starter motor) and they gave me the number for a company called Tube engineering (something like that) but I've lost the number. Top bloke who had 4 xflow exhaust manifold flanges sat on his shelf, each one approx 8mm thick. I used a gasket between each plate and used bolts to put it all back together. Worked a treat and only cost a fiver for each one.

Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

02GF74

posted on 16/6/06 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a drill press, then making the spacers is a piece of cake out of something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-mm-THICK-ALUMINIUM-SHEET-987mm-LONG-x-154mm-WIDE_W0QQitemZ7627335228QQcategoryZ98641QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.