Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Maxi ball joints with Sierra uprights?
ChrisW

posted on 1/5/03 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Maxi ball joints with Sierra uprights?

Does anyone know if Sierra uprights fit Maxi ball joints without modification? The uprights I have are already milled out for Cortina ones. Are they any good now I have Maxi based wishbones?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 1/5/03 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
seeing as maxi ball joints are used without madification to the hubs from cortinas, if your sierra hubs have been cuf for a cortina, they will fit. Standard sierra hubs will not fit directly though
stephen_gusterson

posted on 2/5/03 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
the mounts for the sierra is a different taper, so a definate no if they fit a cortina.

i calculated it , and its about 2.5 degree and 4 degrees for one or tother.

draw it out on paper at enlarged scale and you will find that there is only a tiny contact point in the taper if you use the wrong joint.

I dont know what people are doing as a solution......

a. get a taper made by an eng firm
b. drill it out and have no taper - might spin a bit when you tighten or undo tho!
c. some other way!

i couldnt see a hand reamer taper that I could use, so I went for my own solution. Its so weird I dont think its worth telling you!

atb

steve

ChrisW

posted on 2/5/03 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Now I'm confused! I've already had the hubs machined to fit the cortina ball joints but now I want to use Maxi ones. Are the machined ones any good or do I need to start again on some un-machined ones?

Need to know as I intend on selling the un-machined ones (as they havn't been shot blasted )

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 2/5/03 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
CHRIS

I think the taper you should have is 12mm to 14mm or whatever that is in degrees.

I'm sure we have gone through this one before,must be in the archives somewhere or even easier ask at the show.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.