Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: lift up your back end ;)
Glenn

posted on 2/5/03 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
lift up your back end ;)

This may seem a strange question but do any of you know why the rear of most chassis come up at an angle ??
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GO

posted on 3/5/03 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this is the real reason, but the back end of the car sweeping up will help reduce the lift a car makes. However, I imagine it would only make any significant difference if the whole underside of the car is flat. I guess it might help make the car more stable at motorway speeds.

No idea really, can't think of any other reason tho!!

Peteff

posted on 3/5/03 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is higher at the rear because the shocks at the front are inclined and the back ones are upright.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/5/03 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
If the car was higher at the front it would tend to create lift.

The inverse may cause the car to hold the road a bit better - at least not go light at speed.

I plan to have my car run a little lower at the front than the rear.

atb

steve

Viper

posted on 4/5/03 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn
This may seem a strange question but do any of you know why the rear of most chassis come up at an angle ??

Have i read this differently to everyone else. Glenn has asked (and correct me if i am wrong) why the REAR MOST part of the CHASSIS comes up at an angle, nothing to do with angle of shocks??? and not about ride height either.

Glenn, i think its cosmetic, it can't be aero dynamic because as go said you would need a flat tray under the car from front to rear for that to work or at the very least a flat tray from the axle back.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Glenn

posted on 4/5/03 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
No , Viper you didn't read it wrong, everyone else did sorry guys.

I guessed it would be cosmetic, for aerodynamic purposes it does help to have a slight lift on the rear underside since this causes an area of low pressure sucking the air from underneath and causing a little ground effect but this requires a compleatly flat underside.

Spyderman

posted on 4/5/03 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought it was possibly for ground clearance as well.
It is the only overhanging part of the car and could if straight ground out when going in and out of driveways or filling stations.

Just a thought!

Terry

Spyderman

kiwirex

posted on 5/5/03 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Spyderman says:
> It is the only overhanging part of the car and could if straight
> ground out when going in and out of driveways or filling stations.

That's what I've always thought.
Kind of like the back end of a bus.

- Greg H

merkurman

posted on 7/5/03 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
thats what I figured. the back of my fairlane has a little kick up for its huge ass....almost 3' of overhang in the back. it will still drag in some drives though but not too often. I wouldn't think of it being much of a prob on a locost since it is so short but for loading on a trailer it might be needed more.

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

jbmcsorley

posted on 8/5/03 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
rear kickup

Another benefit... maybe... the rear tire will hit a curb before the body work does? Hadn't considered it until now. Cheers. - Jim M.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.