Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi again, safety & car #2
turbo time

posted on 28/12/06 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Hi again, safety & car #2

So I was here a while back, built a 4g63 turbo middy for $2k, ran it at the GRM challenge. Anywho, I designed another, (built a scale model, etc). It's a single seater this time. Basically, think a mid-sixties F1 car. Small block chevy (350) powered. A couple safety questions though. The drivers legs/feet are well in front of the front wheels, so they'll be the crumple zone. I'd like to drive it on the street, but would reinforcing that portion of the (tube) chassis with aluminum honeycomb/carbon even likely prevent much deforming? The idea is coming from the "crush boxes" on some race cars, but I have zero idea as to just how stiff the carbon they use is, and am skeptical of being able to make a dent in matching it by just using some $250 aerospace carbon/honeycomb sheet.

Second question is more artsy. Obviously there's lots of SUVs and such in the area, and since I might be 37" high in the car, they won't be looking for me when they run me over. Short of attaching a red flag on a flexible pole someplace, any ideas on an attractive way to raise the height of the car, or something decent looking that bolts on, but that I can remove when driving at the track, etc...

Thanks,
Kent

[Edited on 28/12/06 by turbo time]

The Projects: www.absurdcars.com

dl_peabody

posted on 28/12/06 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Your current/recent auction was listed on.....
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1544
and meantioned several times....
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1419

The idea was GREAT. Your new idea sounds very cool but the feet before the front axel sounds a bit scarry. (sorry if I sound negative) I have heard of some manufatures using crush boxes to replace crumple zones, but I would be wary suggesting this.

quote:
Short of attaching a red flag on a flexible pole someplace, any ideas on an attractive way to raise the height of the car, or something decent looking that bolts on, but that I can remove when driving at the track, etc...

Some Dune buggy parts manufaturers use a lighted flexiable pole (some with a light on the top) if you could tie this into your driving/parking lights and brake lights it would make it more visible (maybe the other driver would run into you then due to curiousity instead of inetentiveness).

Sorry not much help......

RazMan

posted on 28/12/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
The honeycomb sheet will certainly help things a bit - it is suprising how strong that stuff is. However I would be very wary of dangling my legs out the front of any car and would strongly suggest a rethink in that area if possible. Maybe a some small triangulation braces to offer better penetration protection and less crumple-ability?

Regarding the visibility aspect, I have always found that a third brake light is the best way of getting seen, probably mounted high up on the roll bar - obviously not as effective as the 'flag on a pole' idea but a bit more elegant

[Edited on 28-12-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doug68

posted on 28/12/06 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I've seen in the states is motorcycles with headlights flash continually, which I think is due to a gadget you can buy over there.

One thing that save'd my butt riding freeways in Houston was a REALLY loud horn.

This'd help with being seen (and heard) I'm sure.

You might take more of a Motorcyclists approach to driving too, which is that cars either...
A) Can't see you so you'll be squashed in ignorance.
Or.
B) Can see you so they'll be actively trying to squash you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.