Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best place for non standard number plates?
RazMan

posted on 10/1/07 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Best place for non standard number plates?

As above really - I need a slightly undersized rear plate and a sticky front plate. I realise of course that they will have to be 'show plates' or something similar but I cannot fit the pukka ones without them looking ridiculous so I hope that common sense will prevail in the eyes of plod.

So where do I go?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 10/1/07 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have used these, prices not to bad,
http://www.malplates.co.uk/signs_car.php
Steve.

zxrlocost

posted on 10/1/07 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
deff go black and chrome front sticker mate

forget all that before 1972 mallarcy

will look good on your car thats all were bothered about

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

watsonpj

posted on 10/1/07 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
try Xtreme at Harlow they make them up whilst you wait. You need proof of reg etc.
RazMan

posted on 11/1/07 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
I have used these, prices not to bad,
http://www.malplates.co.uk/signs_car.php
Steve.

Thanks for the link Steve. I like the on line designer thingy. Playing with some designs now

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 11/1/07 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
deff go black and chrome front sticker mate

forget all that before 1972 mallarcy

will look good on your car thats all were bothered about

I don't want to push my luck too far so I will stick with legal colours - just slightly illegal sizes

Cheers,
Raz

jlparsons

posted on 11/1/07 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote
Are painted on number plates legal? Haven't seen them in a while, so i imagine not. Used to see them painted on the nose, a picture of a car in the ron champion book has this.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Kissy

posted on 11/1/07 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
It's worth checking what you can legally fit. Import cars, with continental plate apertures, are allowed a smaller plate and digit - you should be able to fit these with no grief. I used a single row bike plate on the front of my 7 (not legal); bought it at a bike race day at Donnington (but not cheap) chap was doing flat-out business all day.
RazMan

posted on 11/1/07 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
The standard legal plate size for a UK car is 20.5" x 4.5" in old money and that would look heeoooge on the front so I am going for a self adhesive one of 14" x 3".
The back one is only slightly smaller than standard at 19" x 3.5" so I don't think plod will be too bothered with that one.

It all comes down to common sense IMO and if you are seen to be trying your best to conform to the regs then I am sure plod will understand. The chavtastic Novas & Saxos with funny fonts and tiny plates are just asking to be pulled.

Cheers,
Raz

gttman

posted on 11/1/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
The reason they want them a set size and style is so that the number plate recognition speed cameras etc work..... this is why they have been clamping down a lot on non std over the last 4yrs or so.

I once had a cop follow me through town for 5 miles because of slightly different text of my plate.... they eventually stopped me on a busy roundabout

I shouldn't worry too much though as soon we will not have number plates and simply a little chip in the car which they read at every lamposts which will effectivelly 'grass' on you if your speeding or your tyres are to low or no MOT or Tax etc etc.......

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

DarrenW

posted on 11/1/07 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
i got a std number plate and trimmed it up. Never been stopped yet, it doesnt look too out of the ordinary as the letters are legal size and spacing (i know the plate has to be a certain size as well but ive taken a risk on that).

BenB

posted on 11/1/07 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yup. Same here. Got the standard number plate made up and trimmed the edges a little....

I got mine from

http://www.no1showplates.co.uk/

Pretty good too. Fast delivery and did everything over the phone (ie no mucking around with V5s etc).... Their interactive designer thingy has various size plates as standard as well

Danozeman

posted on 11/1/07 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Google search

Im sure my mate had some made up by my show plates.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

indykid

posted on 11/1/07 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
i got a std number plate and trimmed it up. Never been stopped yet, it doesnt look too out of the ordinary as the letters are legal size and spacing (i know the plate has to be a certain size as well but ive taken a risk on that).

you only need an 11mm border of backing, all the way round the digits.

that's what we've been told to quote at work, so i assume it's correct. it's also how they get away with the cut out ones in the shape of the letters.
tom

pmw

posted on 11/1/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest these sites that sell number plates - stupid question but does that bypass the need for V5 etc ??
BenB

posted on 11/1/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
No V5 needed... They're not road legal and for off-road / show use only so there's no need for V5s.

The ambiguous areas are for stick on plates- some people selling those still require V5s for some reason (though to my knowledge stick on plates are illegal anyway so should be "show use only" aswell).....

Jon Ison

posted on 11/1/07 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Fancyplates do great plates, used them several times the front ones for both the 7 and the GT1 came from there, non standard size, tell em what you want they make it up.
Jon Ison

posted on 11/1/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Here
Mal

posted on 13/1/07 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Smaller Plate

An easy way to obtain a smaller plate is to buy the type with the UK symbol for travelling abroad incorporated. This plate has slightly smaller characters than the ordinary plate. Before fitting it cut off the UK symbol, plus some from the opposite end and a strip from the top. Only a small amount can be removed from the bottom edge without taking off the supplier's name and post code. I found that this gave me an acceptably smaller plate for the front, which was only marginally illegal.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.