Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a house at auction
James

posted on 22/1/07 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Buying a house at auction

Anyone done it?

There's a place I'm interested in buying for my first property.

But it's being sold at auction (in 2 weeks. ). I have never been to any sort of auction let alone one for houses.

Any tips or info I should have?

What do you do?
Do you pay there and then if you win the auction? Or do you get time to get the money? Would seem weird for buyers to have to go to all the effort/expense of arranging a mortgage if they didn't then win the auction!

Thanks!
a nervous James!

[Edited on 22/1/07 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

gingerpaule

posted on 22/1/07 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
The only thing I'd say about buying a house right now is hold your horses. If the interest rates go up another 0.5% before the end of the year there will almost certainly be a drop in house prices as people start over stretching themselves. It might be worth holding on a bit. Imo of course
spaximus

posted on 22/1/07 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
That is the problem for you. Most mortgage compamies will not lend cash on a property they have not had an inspection done. They have to know their cash is safe.
You have to complete usually after 7 days and have to put down a fair wack on the fall of the hammer. there can be bargins but the usual searches a soliciter will do are not able to be done so assume that the house is a big fat problem and you will not go far wrong.
I would advise a first time buyer to tread very carefully unless you are a builder. On most property programes they make money due to a rise in value of the area not the work they do.

russbost

posted on 22/1/07 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Many properties at auction are there because they would be hard to mortgage on the "normal" market - so be wary. I have bought at auction several times (& not dropped a Ghoolie - Yet). You usually have to pay 10% of the bid price & sometimes an indemnity fee on top, there & then, you can normally pay by cheque, but the funds must be there ready in your bank a/c. You then need to complete the transaction usually within 28 days, tho sometimes there are special conditions of sale & a shorter completion period - can be as short as 14 days!!! You therefore need a solicitor already setup & ready to go - it's wise to let him see the legal pack on anything you're thinking of buying b4 you bid in case there is anything which would make the property worth less or which you should know about b4 bidding.
As you can see, it's not straight forward - if you're planning on using a mortgage rather than cash then that already needs to be ready to go too - as if you go over the 28 day completion there are costly penalties, you could even lose the purchase & your 10%.
Always remember - Caveat Emptor, Buyer Beware!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
fesycresy

posted on 22/1/07 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I wanted to buy a house at auction about 10 years ago, it was old and needed a lot of work.

None of this was mentioned on the auction paperwork. The picture was from quite a few years previous and not a current one.

Now, I'm not recommending this, but I broke into the house to have a look around. Glad I did, you name it, it needed it, from sub floor timbers to the roof.

The house went for well over the odds, in fact more than the estate agent wanted for it !

If you're serious about auctions, then the money must be in place and set yourself a limit. Stick to it, don't get auction fever

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

PeterW

posted on 22/1/07 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
One sure fire way of not going over budget.... Send someone else !

If you really want it, but are stuck with a budget, send a friend who you trust with a fixed price...! That way you can't get caught up in auction frenzy...

I do that with cars too, as some people don't know when to stop !

Cheers

Peter

Confused but excited.

posted on 22/1/07 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you are looking for a fixer-upper and planning on doing the work yourself, an idea might be to see what property doesn't sell, then make an offer to the vendor after the auction.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

spewing

posted on 22/1/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Even if you feel that you cant buy the property at auction becaues you cant raise the funds imediatly it is still worthg going to the auction as if the property dosnt meet its reserve you are then in a position to make an offer subject to raising the funds in the same way that you would normaly buy a house.
Ive been to auctions and seen property not meet its reserve and be withdrawn only to have 4 people make offers, subject to raising a mortgauge etc way over the reserve price. They just wernt able to stump up the money within the 28 days

Kev

Schrodinger

posted on 22/1/07 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go along with all of the above but if you want to buy get a valuation done before you go along and bid,
James

posted on 22/1/07 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone, all useful info.

Still lots of thinking/research to do so will update you when I know more.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

JoelP

posted on 22/1/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
ive bought 4 at auction. Easy, as said its usually 10% (cheque was fine for me) and 28 days to finish. Its actually 35 days anyway, as after 28 they send a notice to complete, and you get 7 more days. Not worth relying on this though. You need a competent mortgage broker, mine can organise sales at auction no probs, though ive never used a mortgage to purchase an auction house before. Solicitor wasnt such an issue, he was crap and still completed on time.

Some sellers will request 14 or 7 day completion, it would say if it was though. Quite rare, i asked for 7 day completion once and the seller wouldnt do it.

Auction houses arrange viewings, there no need to break in!

Deffo go to a few auctions before bidding, you'll probably have a heart attack if you rush it! Serious adrenalin rush from the first bid.

And to those who say dont buy now, maybe you are right, but people were swearing blind it was about to crash 3 years ago. You cant wait forever.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.