Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse box or not ???
millemg

posted on 14/4/07 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Reverse box or not ???

I asked this previously just out of curiosity, now I'm at decision time.

Do I really need a reverse (Quaife) box in my R1 - MNR VortX ???

I have had mixed feelings from a few people, most seem to say don't bother. I'm thinking that myself, but just wondered on the general feelings out there ?

Help me to decide !!!!

Howlor

posted on 14/4/07 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Not!
Howlor

posted on 14/4/07 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I thought I needed one but was persuaded not too as a few people had problems with them.

I thought pushing my car up a 30ft gravel drive would be too hard but in fact it wasn't a problem at all. You just get into the frame of mind when driving where reversing isn't an option available to you!

Guinness

posted on 14/4/07 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the NOT option here.

After a year and a half of driving, I think there has only been one occasion when I could have done with one. (Some w*nker in an Audi who even though I was 3/4 of the way down a single track road decided to come straight towards me!)

Otherwise you get used to pushing them around, takes me a couple of minutes to get it put away in the evening. You get used to driving into car parks looking for spaces you can just pull straight out of.

HTH

Mike

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 14/4/07 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
it depends what your going to use it for, if the car is going to be a fair weather/trackday toy then it probably isnt worth it. if you plan to use it more than that then putting the reverse in will make it alot more civilised.

they dont weigh as much as is made out (about 5-7kg more than a normal 2 piece prop centre bearing setup) they dont absorb more than 1bhp it foward mode as they are effectively straight through boxes the only power lost is turning the disconnected gears and bearings but that is the smae as the other 5 gears you arent using in the main gearbox.

if you do get one get a new one quaife has changed them a fair bit since the early ones and they are alot more reliable and dont suffer from the spewing oil problems if before.

zxrlocost

posted on 14/4/07 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
No just plan ahead

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

bigrich

posted on 14/4/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Another not from me, just give a little thought to were its parked and perfect the donut to turn it rround quickly

Never personally needed reverse in 3000 miles in the last BEC

ReMan

posted on 14/4/07 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
If you have money to burn, OR your location makes it essential ie your driveway is a steep hill, or you are going to take it to the supermarket a lot, then yes.
Otherwise no don't bother

worX

posted on 14/4/07 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
well I haven't got one in mine (newly built) but the reason for me not to was a) Cost and b) weight

since then, because of where I have to keep my car, it would of been very very beneficial.

If you are only thinking that you need it for the road, however, then probably a NOT from me too.

Just consider your own situation more than others thats all!

hth
Steve

Andy W

posted on 14/4/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Another NO from me, just plan ahead

Andy

BenB

posted on 14/4/07 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
It's a no from me
You just learn to plan ahead in parking situations etc....

nitram38

posted on 14/4/07 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
If you plan on racing the car, you will need reverse.
I have got a reverse kit from lynx racing.
Basically it is a low geared starter motor and a cog which replaces the nut on the output cog from the R1.

jlparsons

posted on 14/4/07 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going electric. Worth it as i want to use my car every day.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

smart51

posted on 14/4/07 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I can push mine backwards put of the garrage as its a slight slope downwards. I don't do much parking. When I do I park where I can drive in and out forwards or can push the car backwards. I've never really had a problem. For the cost of them I wouldn't bother, but if you think you can't push your car where you'll need to then it might be worth it.
jlparsons

posted on 14/4/07 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Idea - removable panel in drivers footwell for flintstones-style reverse....?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

jambojeef

posted on 14/4/07 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently Kurt was saying that there was a guy at croft with a busa powered 7 that was losing 50bhp through his!

I dont know whether that was just the box or the whole transmission but sounded like a lot.

Geoff

nitram38

posted on 14/4/07 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
There shouldn't be any transmission losses with electric starter motors so It is probably better (and cheaper) to go this route.
Hellfire

posted on 14/4/07 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you need one for any of the reasons already mentioned, then I wouldn't bother. Like others have said, all you need is a bit of forethought. NO from me.

Phil

Bouldy

posted on 14/4/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt have one in mine untill i heard somone comment to his bird from the beer garden say " nice car but what a nob having to push it !!! IMO we draw enough attention in them as it is and i think when you have to push them you leave yourself wide open . It seems to take all the class out of owning one. i put one in after that and never had any problems best thing i ever did. took a lot of the clucking away too.
cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 14/4/07 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambojeef
Apparently Kurt was saying that there was a guy at croft with a busa powered 7 that was losing 50bhp through his!

I dont know whether that was just the box or the whole transmission but sounded like a lot.

Geoff

all the reverse boxes ive seen use a dog to engage the input and output shafts together so the power doesnt go through any gears. there is no way the box can be absorbing more than 1bhp at all. the only losses will be through the shaft support bearings and through oil splashing.

if the box was absorbing huge amounts of power then the power must be going somewhere ie heat the boxes are only small so there is no way they can be losing the amount that people say.

OX

posted on 14/4/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
a no from me as well.
the only comments i hear sometimes when pushing it backwards is ,why is he wearing a crash helmet.i feel like asking them if they want to jump in for a quick blast up the road to find out for them self .

millemg

posted on 14/4/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
I never get called a NOB when I back my bike up outside the pub....

maybe I should ask the same question on " what do others think of me in pub beer gardens.com"

scootz

posted on 14/4/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Big NO from me!

Forward forward forward.

JoelP

posted on 14/4/07 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bouldy
I didnt have one in mine untill i heard somone comment to his bird from the beer garden say " nice car but what a nob having to push it !!! IMO we draw enough attention in them as it is and i think when you have to push them you leave yourself wide open . It seems to take all the class out of owning one. i put one in after that and never had any problems best thing i ever did. took a lot of the clucking away too.

standard proceedure in this instance would be to tell him 'i may look a nob but your missus looks like she's seen a few!', obviously as you are ready to drive off so you dont look a bigger nob by getting battered.

bike_power

posted on 15/4/07 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambojeef

Had he been driving like my Auntie and been beaten by slower cars . . . so was looking for an excuse ?

As somebody else said, they have 1:1 dog drive when in forward mode so the loss is negligible, the weather will have a far greater effect on performance than the reverse box.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.