Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin Hood Lightweight
diyer

posted on 21/5/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood Lightweight

I have watched some of the posts over the last couple of days about the Robin Hood lightweight, a figure of fun it seems amongst several posters.
Many seem to enjoy discrediting RH, and seem to point out some flaws in its design.

I built mine (first privateer to do so and put it through SVA) and passed first time, so it will pass SVA!

Again, the appallingly bad build quality that a certain person imparted on the car caused issues with VOSA.

Maybe in 5 years time you will all be correct and it will fall apart, but then maybe it won't!!!

If it does, like all good engineers - I will get off my arse and fix it or upgrade it - surely that’s all part of the fun.

Maybe it isn't as 'good' as some other Locosts, but how many of you have driven a lightweight?

I enjoy it anyway!

Its all very easy to slate a car off - harder to give praise where deserved!

Rant over!

Cheers
Simon

[Edited on 21/5/07 by diyer]

Hug a Hoodie!

russbost

posted on 21/5/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Good for you, well done for building it & doing something different - I actually thought the idea was very good, tho' it seems to have been executed less well than it should have been.
So, can you answer some of the rumours - are the diff mountings really flimsy - have you beefed yours up, I believe this was an issue with SVA at one point? Is it lightweight? What weight was it at SVA. How do you find the drive & handling - is it any good?
As I've already said, congrats for the build anyway.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
snapper

posted on 21/5/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not aimed at you russ, i was typing while you posted

Go have a look at the Lightweights on the Robin Hood owners club stands and then you can comment. The lightweights i have seen are very well put together and the lightweight owners that post on the Robin Hood site are true builders. There is nothing wrong with these cars if they are put together properly, the problem car and builder in question cast a huge black cloud over the inovative and unique lightweight. A fellow club member that i know well saw the offending lightweight in the Robin Hood factory after it was bought back, and it was not bonded, had rivets missing and generaly was not ready for SVA. Instead of the SVA people failing the car they were so appaled that they started to question many aspects of it and in light of there findings declaired all lightweighs as suspect.
The work that has been done by the Robin Hood owners club members to correct any areas that VOSA dislike is well documented and proves that this is a viable kit to build. I am just sorry that there are unlikelly to be any more produced and that the new lightweight 07 is just another squareframed Ron Chapman clone.

[Edited on 21/5/07 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Peteff

posted on 21/5/07 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
just another squareframed Ron Chapman clone

It's a Colin Chapman clone not Ron Chapman or "Ron Champion" as he is usually known I think the Lightweight was one of the better proportioned cars available and I am a fan of the exposed rivet look, we all know they're there why try to hide them?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 22/5/07 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Was the chassis ever tested for torsional strength etc? Would be interesting to see how it compares to the Locost. There was a university project that did some analysis of the 2B which showed it to have all the rigidity of a wet paper bag, hopefully the lightweight is better.
Volvorsport

posted on 22/5/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
no it never was , they did have a big jig for testing something (a gimmick designed by richard stewart), but never got any results , how many of the manufacturers around can claim they have tested their chassis torsionally ?

ive had mine analysed by the cymtriks method .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

flak monkey

posted on 22/5/07 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
GTS one has been FEA'd

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Bob C

posted on 22/5/07 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
sad really - torsionally testing a chassis really is a piece of cake, I reckon I could measure a bare chassis stiffness to an accuracy of a couple of percent in a couple of hours using big steel tubes, weights and a dial gauge.
It's not that it's hard or expensive, it's the will that's missing
Bob

bike_power

posted on 24/5/07 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
GTS one has been FEA'd

So they think they know what they have designed....not what they have actually built

Alan B

posted on 24/5/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bike_power
quote:
GTS one has been FEA'd

So they think they know what they have designed....not what they have actually built

Exactly....theory is fine, but ultimately useless without real-world validation.

Not saying anyone's chassis is good or bad, just unproven.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 24/5/07 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Correct. FEA is only a theoretical model and the result is subjective as it depends on the model type and the restraints and loads applied, as well as the modellers interpretation of the reult.

I wasnt saying it was better or worse than any body elses, just a statement of fact.

And I still wouldnt touch a L/W no matter what anyone told me. There was the opportunity to make something good and quite clever. But its a bodge, and not a very good one at that.

[Edited on 24/5/07 by flak monkey]

Sera

iank

posted on 24/5/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder how many lightweight owners read this thread (on RHoCar) before buying?

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=5013&b=1&st=&p=&#entry

Where the designer (Richard Stewart) of the car is reported (by a number of different people) to have said the aluminium version is intended to be a track car and rebuilt every season.

It is (IMO) one of the most attractive 7's so it's a shame they never took the shape and combined it with a traditional spaceframe.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

diyer

posted on 24/5/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

And I still wouldnt touch a L/W no matter what anyone told me. There was the opportunity to make something good and quite clever. But its a bodge, and not a very good one at that.

Thats rich coming from someone who is using a transit engine!

Hug a Hoodie!

flak monkey

posted on 24/5/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diyer

*tongue planted firmly in cheek*

Yep, but it'll keep going and not fall apart in 5 years

The transit engine was a low comp version too

You can make a lot more power from a pinto than from a zetec for the same money. Now thats good thinking

*tongue removed from cheek*

We'll see what happens in a few years time. All I am saying is that from an engineering perspective, it doesnt sit well with me at all. The design certainly isnt as clever as it could have been. The lw could have been made a very good car, but it would have needed a lot more R&D.

David

Sera

Alan B

posted on 24/5/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diyer
quote:

Ooo...this thread's got legs....

<pulls up ringside seat>

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 24/5/07 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I am not going to get into an argument over anything. Its not worth it. I've said what I am going to and my reasons are well founded.

Sera

Macbeast

posted on 24/5/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Colin Chapman (amongst others ) did quite well with a fire pump engine
Alan B

posted on 24/5/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I am not going to get into an argument over anything. Its not worth it. I've said what I am going to and my reasons are well founded.

You are just no fun at all...

flak monkey

posted on 24/5/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

Sorry to spoil your entertainment Alan

Sera

Alan B

posted on 24/5/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B

Sorry to spoil your entertainment Alan

Slow day at work....what can I say...LOL

TheGecko

posted on 24/5/07 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
how many of the manufacturers around can claim they have tested their chassis torsionally ?
Ummm, any of the Australian ones. Or any Australian home builders for that matter.

Common figures for +100 chassis here are in the 4000-5000 Nm/deg range. Absolute minimum allowable (depending on area of jurisdiction) would be 2500. From memory, a book Locost chassis will NOT meet that figure.

D

Syd Bridge

posted on 25/5/07 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
[quote how many of the manufacturers around can claim they have tested their chassis torsionally ?

AHHH, me! Then again, I've sent a couple out to Aus. They measure beam deflection as well, longitudinally.

FEA????Doesn't quite make it!

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 25/5/07 by Syd Bridge]

rusty nuts

posted on 25/5/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Luego had a chassis tested at Cranfield institute .

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.