Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thoughts on a Zectec engined Vortx
Beardy_John

posted on 23/6/07 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thoughts on a Zectec engined Vortx

Good morning everybody! I am a newbie here, so if I ask anything stupid, feel free to slap me

I am looking at building a Zetec engined Vortx RT over the next year or so, and now looking for anyone elses experiences and suggestions. Been in contact with Chris at MNR and he's been really helpful (so far the only kit manufacturer to reply to my emails!!).

Had a ride out in Steve in Essexs R1 engined RT+ Friday night which just blew me away!! (Thanks again Steve D)

However, it has now made my mind up that I want a tourer more than a track day/ sprint car, as I want to do loads of miles in it and use it as daily as possible!!

Look forward to any suggestions you guys can throw at me

[Edited on 23/6/07 by Beardy_John]

Krismc

posted on 23/6/07 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Good choice! Im running a 2.0 blacktop with type 9.......see my pic below!!

what engine you thinking of running?? 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 silver top, black top, Mt 75 or type 9 box?

BAD POINTS..
1) I did have initial issues with clearances with the type 9 box, because where the engine needs to sit the clutch arm would come out in the drivers footwell, but burton do a hydraulic cylinder replacement kit- so now its a hydrualic clutch and works(which is a bonus)

2) I also have to strip the engine right down to remove it, and the timing pully has to be removed which is a mare if i ever need a clutch replaced!

3) ive have the water pump running the wrong way as the alternator usually fits where the steering arm comes down, so ive had to move it and im wating for a new impeller to sort that issuse out,

GOOD POINTS.
engine should be good for 130bhp standard, which is enough but having now fitted 285 cams, throttle boddies, ecu, lightend flywheel etc i should be looking at 190-200BHP i recon!!

I finally got the thing started yesterday on the MS ECu so i cant tell you how it drives!

[Edited on 23/6/07 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Beardy_John

posted on 23/6/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a 2.0L engine. Whats the difference between the silver top & black top?
Whats the actual difference between the Type 9 and MT75 box. (again newbie to this, done loads of research, but I think experience counts miles more ).
What carbs & ECU are you running on it?

Krismc

posted on 23/6/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Im running Susuki GXSR 750 K5 throttle boddies on a MNR manifold with a megasquirt ecu!

the silvertop is the older engine and the black top is the newer engine with the black plastic cam cover, it has a few revisions and seems to be the better engine.

The Mt75 is the stronger gear box, although it is a lot larger and therefore posibbly will not fit and mine has a 10mm gap all the way down the tunnel.

the type 9 is a 5 speed sierra box good for up to 190-200 bhp although ive seen them take more!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

amalyos

posted on 23/6/07 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Had a ride out in Steve in Essexs R1 engined RT+ Friday night which just blew me away!! (Thanks again Steve D)

Glad you enjoyed it, Good job I didn't take your Mrs out, or you may have had to keep a lawn mower in your Garage.

Dion (Numnuts) built a Zetec Vortx, you could drop him a note, he only lives in Silverend (Witham). Just beware of the extra costs with the Zetec.

Steve

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

Krismc

posted on 24/6/07 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
yep...im passing 18k already for my car!

engine bits are expensive!

Beardy_John

posted on 24/6/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
18k!!! I am hoping thats Yen not pounds!! Dont think I'll be doing that much with mine, think about 1k is nearer my limit.
neilj37

posted on 24/6/07 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I bought Dions Vortx which is running a 2 litre zetec with an alpha gold kit and I'm sure he said he spent about £13k building the car. Heres a picture of the engine bay.

[Edited on 24/6/07 by neilj37] Rescued attachment 129414-4.jpg
Rescued attachment 129414-4.jpg

Agriv8

posted on 24/6/07 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Beardy john,

If you are planning a visit to the MNR offices get Chris or Mark to let me know and I'll try to get over take you out in mine ( providing I have fixed it - DONT ask - ).

Got a Car engine in so you will be able to asses if it fits your needs. Sofseats ecy. No screen yet but thats on the shopping list.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Beardy_John

posted on 25/6/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Agriv8 - Cheers for the offer, will bear that in mind. I am hoping to go up sometime in August (moving house which is taking up a lot of time) and its a bloody long way from Ipswich!!! Are you, or any MNR owners going to the show at Snetterton?
next month?

Agriv8

posted on 25/6/07 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Suspect Not going to snet.

I am stirctly not allowed to travel further than 1 hour away from home ( without the wife ). And she wont fit in the MNR at the mo

REgards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

roadboy

posted on 29/6/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I am running a 2.0 Silvertop on Throttle bodies, uprated cams, head ported by us, dry sumped, Emerald ecu which puts out 208bhp, 172 ft/lb ( figures from Emerald dyno. We changed the standard type 9 for a Quaife professional which is a great improvement. The Silvertop is slightly easier to fit due to the water pump, but you will have clearance problems with the standard sump on either engine.
If you want advice or pics let me know.
Regds
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 30/6/07 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have a butchers at my blog. You can see some of the issues I've had but were easy to sort.

Great help from Marc & Chris during the kit ordering and they made the chassis suit the
engine and box.

As far as the cost goes I'm confident I can have it SVA ready for around 7K

Steve

[Edited on 30/6/07 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.