Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Fwd. Concept
FUORISERIE

posted on 28/6/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Locost Fwd. Concept

I just noticed that the Fwd. Jester has been relaunched by Stingray motorsports

http://www.stingraymotorsport.com/jester.htm

Another similar car is the Onyx Firefox, they look very simple to put together and manufacture, and what would you think of a more modern Fwd locost kit?

http://www.davebence.co.uk/onyx_firefox/index.htm

Fwd hatchbacks are everywhere, and you could build a cheap fun roadster, like a bolt on kit to a chassis, with a single mould body like the Jester, maybe with a more appealing design than both.......

What do you all think...

[Edited on 28/6/07 by FUORISERIE]

garage19

posted on 28/6/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Wrong wheel drive!

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/6/07 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garage19
Wrong wheel drive!

just different......

ecosse

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
The Jester is better looking than I remember but is still never going to be a design icon really and I won't comment on the firefox at all
Would be interested to see what you could come up with though, going by the quality of the rest of your drawings it might make front wheel drive more appealing

Cheers
Alex

iank

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I think it could do very well, but high modern engines don't make it easy to look good.

Though I think you'd find it hard to design anything that looked quite like the jester or especially the onyx

Alternatively adding a another front suspension set from the scrappy and some steering locking arms you can put the engine at the back and have best of both worlds.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ecosse

Would be interested to see what you could come up with though, going by the quality of the rest of your drawings it might make front wheel drive more appealing

Cheers
Alex

here you go, these were done in 2005, and had forgotten about them, but could still work...maybe......

joneh

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Looks a bit like a bumper car

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
another old rendering...

hughjinjin

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
minari, alfasud/33 based
russbost

posted on 28/6/07 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I think the biggest place that designs like the Firefox & the Jester (& plenty of Locosts) go wrong is with the lights - particularly front. Either some tiny lights, sort of thing behind the glass in a Puma, or some modern "wraparound" jobbies would make a massive difference. Think how much more appealing the front of Marlins 5Exi is.
Most manufacturers seem far too keen to get the kit out there, rather than making it really look the part first. Personally I don't understand this mindset as you only have to produce one decent buck, the fibreglass then produced isn't going to cost much more than something plainer, but surely would sell more kits?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
FUORISERIE

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughjinjin
minari, alfasud/33 based

I like the Minari, and used to own an Alfasud Sprint......

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I think the biggest place that designs like the Firefox & the Jester (& plenty of Locosts) go wrong is with the lights - particularly front. Either some tiny lights, sort of thing behind the glass in a Puma, or some modern "wraparound" jobbies would make a massive difference. Think how much more appealing the front of Marlins 5Exi is.

I totally agree with you, the jester looks like a snail with those buggy lights sticking out...

The chassis has great potential, and the the buggy concept is a good one, they just need to update the front end design.....

russbost

posted on 28/6/07 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
It really surprises me that no one has come up with a way of using some of these modern lights in a new housing to give a pair of mini headlights (NOT Mini headlights). The smallest I'm aware of are those on the Toniq & I have a feeling they may be the motorcycle units that SVC & GTS have which won't pass SVA if the tester is on the ball (tho' I believe plenty have), I would do it myself only I'm far too busy with the new car - perhaps next year - Ha Ha!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
whitestu

posted on 28/6/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I had a Sprint too - I expect mine went a bit more rusty than yours though!

The Minari's are great - no reason why a FWD locost should't be good fun.

The 33/ sud flat four engine allowed the bonnet to be low on the Minari though.

Stu

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/6/07 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

I had a Sprint too - I expect mine went a bit more rusty than yours though!

The Minari's are great - no reason why a FWD locost should't be good fun.

The 33/ sud flat four engine allowed the bonnet to be low on the Minari though.

Stu

You're right, with the flat four boxer engine, you could have a lower and sleeker bonnet line.

I sold my Sud after I blew up the engine while speeding on the italian autostrada(Highway).......

I had so much fun with it, but the repair bills were so expensive at the time, I haven't bought an Alfa since.......but could again...

smart51

posted on 28/6/07 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
If I were to do it, I'd use the humble ford fiesta, just because there are millions of them and lots of ford dealers for parts (and possibly servicing for some spanner un-inclined owners)

I'd try to use as much of the donor as possible, including front struts and rear trailing arms / subframe. Maybe the springs would have to change. People who buy FWD kits perhaps don't mind not having duel wishbones all round.

As has been said, you've got to make it look good these days. The Jester just isn't good enough. By a long way. The sketch here with the small front lights is good.

FUORISERIE

posted on 28/6/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
If I were to do it, I'd use the humble ford fiesta, just because there are millions of them and lots of ford dealers for parts (and possibly servicing for some spanner un-inclined owners)

I'd try to use as much of the donor as possible, including front struts and rear trailing arms / subframe. Maybe the springs would have to change. People who buy FWD kits perhaps don't mind not having duel wishbones all round.

As has been said, you've got to make it look good these days. The Jester just isn't good enough. By a long way. The sketch here with the small front lights is good.

I agree with you, and in fact these sketches were done as image overlays of the jester, that used the old fiesta engine and uprights.

This gave an exact idea of what the final car could have looked like, only the wheels in the sketches are 16in.........the rest of the dimensions are similar to the old jester.

I could see a similar concept using the old 205 GTI 1.9, or Civic Vtecs, or Clio Williams old engines., K-series, and many more........

You could even design something more radical, kind of a fwd. Ariel Atom........

C10CoryM

posted on 29/6/07 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
Fwd? Boooooo, Hissssssss
If you're going to go through the effort of building a car, why do it wrong?

Did I mention I have a major dislike for FWD
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FUORISERIE

posted on 29/6/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C10CoryM
Fwd? Boooooo, Hissssssss
If you're going to go through the effort of building a car, why do it wrong?

Did I mention I have a major dislike for FWD
Cheers.

I actually like both Fwd and Rwd cars, it all depends on the use I want to make of my car....

I don't think I could build a car in Italy, due to homologation laws, so it will have to be more of a body conversion, or a bolt on kit.

Or import a Left hand drive kitcar from the UK.......and that would be a problem!!!

artweek

posted on 1/7/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
looks terrible

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.