Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 Speed Sensor wotsit
irvined

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 Speed Sensor wotsit

Hello,

My Telemetrix speedo has never really worked right using the magnets, its always been a bit erratic, and its definitly not getting any better. I've removed all but one magnet and i get the same, so i think its time to invest in an alternative.

Has anybody used one of the sensors which attatch to the gearbox? Do they go into the socket where the speedo cable should go?

Smiths want 50quid for theirs which i think is bordering on daylight robbery, are there any cheaper alternatives?

Cheers

David

http://irvined.blogspot.com

VinceGledhill

posted on 10/10/07 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David. I can't understand your problem with the electronic one. Don't know the telemetrix one personally but I've fitted 2 of this type of speedo now and both worked perfectly.

Do you have a tight air gap? I know mine is miniscule but it works a treat.

Is the magnet showing the right pole outwards? Might make a difference.

Or alternatively is the speedo itself just plain faulty, if that's the case then send it back.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

irvined

posted on 15/10/07 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Vince,

Its just irratic, so i'll be driving along, and the speed will drop to zero, or say 50% of actual speed etc.

Its definitely down to the magnets either not being close enough or something like that. I was just wondering if its worth fitting one directly into the mechanical speedo drive and saving me the ball ache

Cheers

David

http://irvined.blogspot.com

VinceGledhill

posted on 15/10/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
It still sounds like the gap is too large. I welded a bracket onto the back axle and put the magnet onto the prop shaft fitting flange. Gap is probably about 1mm or so. Can take a picture if you like but both cars I've built have both had "very accurate" speedos and have both gone through SVA.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Bigheppy

posted on 16/10/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I am using a telemetrix speedo and have had problems with the magnets coming off. Initially I had a very small gap between the magnets and sensor but since resecuring the magnets I have a gap of about 5mm and it works fine. One thing I read on another forum is to make sure all the magnet poles face the same way. My magnets had a small dimple in one side so I fitted the dimples towards the propshaft NNNN. Dont know if magnets being of different poles facing the sensor eg. NSNN would cause your problem but its worth a try

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.