Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lights/switch and SVA
badding

posted on 10/10/07 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Lights/switch and SVA

Some questions concerning these:

I want to use separate switches for the side, dip and main is this allowed concerning SVA, or is the side and dip function controlled by one switch?..
And must the switches illuminate when pressed on.

I´m using the standard zx9r loom.

With the ignition off, what has to function?..I know hazard lights, but what else.

[Edited on 10/10/07 by badding]

[Edited on 10/10/07 by badding]

locoboy

posted on 10/10/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Cant see an issue with them being on different switches as far as SVA goes.

With the ingnition off only the hazards need to work.

Dont forget they will need to work with your both of your anti theft devices in operation too.

ATB
Locoboy

RazMan

posted on 10/10/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
With ignition off you just need parking lights and hazards.
Having one switch for the lights is fine as long as you have a warning light for main beam.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
badding

posted on 10/10/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Dont forget they will need to work with your both of your anti theft devices in operation too.

What does this mean????

VinceGledhill

posted on 10/10/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you're building an Indi why not use the sierra switches that are on the column? Works a treat for me and looks quite neat.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

badding

posted on 10/10/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I Know, but it seems I can´t figger out to get it to work withe the zx9r loom
locoboy

posted on 10/10/07 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
My 2 anti theft devices were

Ignition Key - if removed then yes the hazards still worked

Kill switch under the bonet - if this was wired in then main battery +ve and there was no other live feed to the fuse box then the hazards would not have worked.

As it was all my kill switch did was kill the power to the CDI thus it would not start.

In other words make sure that your kill switch (if using one) does not interfere with the permanent live feed to your hazard relay.

ATB
Locoboy

caber

posted on 10/10/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
You have got me worried now! I understood that the secondary security device could be the steering lock if thee ignition switch still functioned as intended. I have a cut off switch that isolates the battery primarily as a safety device however it is located on the passenger side so cannot be operated from the driver's seat.

I understood that this could also be counted as a security device as it cannot be operated "while the engine is running" as you are not supposed to leave the driver's seat and leave the engine running by law! I was not aware that the hazzard lights have to be operable with the car parked and all security devices enabled, could you let me know where this is in the manual as I have missed it!

Thanks

Caber

martyn_16v

posted on 10/10/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
With ignition off you just need parking lights and hazards.

This the the second time it's come up in the last couple of weeks and I didn't get an answer last time, but I can't find any reference to 'parking lights' (or any other form of marker light that needs to operate with the ignition off) in the SVA manual. I don't think they're required...

iank

posted on 10/10/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hazard operation is required with ignition on or off, it doesn't mention having to work with any other security device active.

(9.1.7a 91st page of the 2003 pdf manual - not close to my paper copy of the 'real' one)

Can't find anything about other systems that are specified as having to work with the ignition on, though that might be an MOT requirement?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RazMan

posted on 10/10/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16vThis the the second time it's come up in the last couple of weeks and I didn't get an answer last time, but I can't find any reference to 'parking lights' (or any other form of marker light that needs to operate with the ignition off) in the SVA manual. I don't think they're required...

I think it must be just an MOT thing but surely a good idea to install from day one - remember you don't need a horn for SVA either but why make work for yourself later

[Edited on 10-10-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 11/10/07 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Found it in the MOT manual.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_110.htm

"On vehicles fitted with dim-dip headlamp systems, the front position lamps must be checked for operation with the ignition switched off. This may involve the operation of a separate switch."

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

badding

posted on 11/10/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
So just to make things clear...

1) For SVA only hazard.

2) For MOT hazard and sidelights.

Thanks guys, had to know before wiring the dash...

martyn_16v

posted on 11/10/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just to make things slightly less clear

How many people actually have a dim-dip system with a ballast resistor etc? I'd imagine most kit cars just have sidelights...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.