Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suitable expansion tanks (cooling system)?
bigandy

posted on 23/11/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Suitable expansion tanks (cooling system)?

Evening folks.

Now I have figured out what sort of expansion/header tank I am after for my car's cooling system, (with thanks to everyone here that helped and offered advice!) I need to find a suitable tank.

So, can anyone recommend a suitable tank? I am after the following:

1. 1 inlet at the top of the tank, size not critical, but around 8mm to 19mm would be good
  2. 1 outlet towards the bottom of the tank, size as above
  3. 1 pressure relief cap (radiator cap type thing) at the top of the device, suitable for a toyota 4a-ge engine (so I don't have to fit a pressure releif device anywhere else in the system)
  4. Either a see through bottle, and/or a water level sender. Not too bothered about the type, I can work around that
  5. A mounting method that is easy to incorporate in an engine bay that has 25mm box section as the main structure to fasten it to.

I'm hoping to have a mooch around a scrapyard this weekend, but if anyone has any tips as to what I should look out for, it would be much appreciated.

I did wonder about getting a custom ally tank made up, but I think I prefer cheap and readily available, over pricey and shiney. Especially when it will live in the engine bay

Cheers
Andy

Ps. I promise this will be my last query on cooling system stuff, unless I decide to fit an electric waterpump

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Humbug

posted on 23/11/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW I used a Rover 25 expansion tank, mainly because my K series was from a Rover 25 so I figured the hoses should match up!

It's got a top and a bottom hose and a pressure cap, and has marknig on the outside. it is designed to "hang" somehow on the original - to fit it in my engine bay (after I had fixed other stuff to the scuttle...) I made a bracket to suit from ali.. Pic in my archive called

2005-10-23 8 Locost engine right.jpg

Metal Hippy

posted on 23/11/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Volkswagen new caddy expansion tank with level probes fitted..

You'll need the cap to fit obviously, the right connector for the probe and a relay from a mark 2 golf for lighting up a bulb in the dash when the level drops too low..

All that lot for ~£30 brand new and shiney..

I have all the part numbers if interested..

[/works for a VW van centre in the parts department blog]

[Edited on 23/11/07 by Metal Hippy]

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Ricks-9r

posted on 23/11/07 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Re- Header Tank

Ive just fitted this ,brought for my R32 but found a use on the Mac#1
(pressed steel bracket now changed for solid alloy one now
it measures approx 60mm x 150mm 4 outlets @ 8mm & comewith tubing & 3 caps (small Jdm type) ,was a pain filling or checking the coolant without it ,I got it from http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/
on a special offer,wasabout £28 posted if i remember ,give them an email as they dont seem to have any in the shop atm

COREdevelopments

posted on 23/11/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
i would use a toyota mr2 roadster type, its clear and has correct pressure relief cap, an outlet and inlet, its what i will be using, or like said a vw one is ok.

rob

Confused but excited.

posted on 23/11/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Good old ebay. I got a spherical VW/Audi one as fitted in the Audi TT for the princely sum of £0.01+ £2.50 p&p.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

DEAN C.

posted on 26/11/07 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
I used the Rover 220gti old type(>95)Also I think that the Rover diesel218/418 Peugeot engined cars might be the same.

If you look in my photo archive you can see it in "beauty and the beast" picture.

Works ok on my 4age.

[Edited on 26/11/07 by DEAN C.]

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

procomp

posted on 26/11/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi the later vectra ones brandnew from the stealer are £9+vat. And come with one or two ( depending on model )8mm returns and the usual 15mm bottom outlet.

Cheers Matt

[Edited on 28/11/07 by procomp]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.