Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: harnesses - opinions required
AdamR

posted on 28/12/07 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
harnesses - opinions required

Been playing around with my upper harness mounts today. I understand (I think) that the belts are not supposed to wrap around the edge of the seat when tightened, but looking at a few pics of other cars it seems lots of people have got away with it at SVA. Perhaps I've got the rule wrong? Even if my seats had harness slots the deflection would still depend on how tall the bloke sitting in the seat is.

Here's a pic of mine, which are slightly deflected when I'm sitting in the seat. Is this ok? And what is the SVA requirement exactly, and how is it enforced?
harnesses
harnesses

PS. Anyone know where I can download an SVA manual? This issue proves I need to get one.

[Edited on 28/12/07 by AdamR]

RazMan

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to say it but I think you will have to move the mountings further apart to prevent the belts rubbing on the seats.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
It will be a whole load of hassle I am afraid
When your belt straps pull down on the seat, the seat it'self becomes part of the restraint system and then the seat has to be tested too.
That is why most people move the top mounts to suit.

blakep82

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.rootpeg.net/SVAMarch2004.pdf

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RichardK

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
You could always put a horizontal across your hoop with some threaded inserts through it and attach your harnesses that way.

Personally I would risk it

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdamR

posted on 29/12/07 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
OK, thanks for the replies so far.

Don't want to simply raise the mounting points as the straps are supposed to slope upwards towards your shoulders to hold you down in the event that you're upside down.

Making the mounts wider is also problematic as the belts would have a tendency to slip off the shoulders.

Hmmm.... more head scratching required yet I think.

Aico

posted on 29/12/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
The seat isn't made for a harness. The result of this is right there as you can see. Maybe you can make slots? I'm not sure if you have enough room to do so. This way there would be no side deflection anymore.
steph

posted on 29/12/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
HARNESSES

hi there if you still want to download the sva manual go into RHOC&R which is the robin hood site and you can download it from there cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.