Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problem with letter from VOSA re SVA
Paul (Notts)

posted on 10/1/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Problem with letter from VOSA re SVA

Received a letter from VOSA today regarding my SVA application. They have requested Photographic evidence that I have built the car and all Major receipts. This is not a problem as have all ready sorted these out and just need to post them.

The letter has the Chassis number of my car at the top in a box.

When I sent the application in my VIN number contained two zeros. The chassis number that has been recorded has one of them as a zero and the other as a O ( letter ).

Am I allowed to use the letter O or is it just 0 ( number ) as I thought.

Do I now stamp the number with a O ( letter) as on the reply or with a number 0 as on the original application. I can see this causing me lots of problems when it comes round to the test and dvla.

Paul

matt_claydon

posted on 10/1/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
You cannot have the letter O in a VIN so just use zero - DVLA shouldn't make any mistake.

If you're really concerned make sure the examiner writes zeroes when he's filling out your MAC. Chances are he will know about VINs, know they should be zeroes and write them with a diagonal stroke.

[Edited on 10/1/08 by matt_claydon]

Paradoxia0

posted on 10/1/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul

I received a letter from the DVLA with O rather than 0 in it when I was putting my car through. I phoned up to check and they told me that the system didn't do zeros on the letters, but it would be fine...

Sounded a bit peculiar but everything went through fine and the zeros were as they should be when the paperwrk came through

Mark

Richard.D

posted on 10/1/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience it's best to get this sorted out now. I don't think it will be a problem but still good to have the conversation for piece of mind.
Shamrock GS

posted on 10/1/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
When I chose my chassis number it includes the word 'shamrock' and came back from DVLA with an 0 (digit). They said the system couldn't handle the letter o and if choosing a number in the future to avoid it alltogether. They also advised to be careful when it comes to MOT time as the system may reject what appears to be a correct number.

Gary

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Ian D

posted on 10/1/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I made an error on my form and called VOSA to correct. Both the Avonmouth and VOSA call centre confirmed that 1 digit wrong was ok and they would sort on the paperwork.

Ian

Peteff

posted on 10/1/08 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the SABTVRO which they start with? My 0andO are the same anyway and it never caused any problems.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

caber

posted on 10/1/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I was at DVLA Edinburgh today and they tell me they cannot accept anything other than full 16 digit VINs. This is a problem for me as I have a 13 digit VIN already Oked by SVA and on the MAC. There is no space to add another 3 digits where it is stamped. DVLA say I just have to get the new number on the chassis and erase the old one! At the end of the day this is a major PITA as the existing number is on the insurance docs, the MAC and the car. Anyone else had to change VIN after SVA?

Caber

Stu16v

posted on 10/1/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon you need to speak to someone else - some Jap imports only have 8 digit numbers...

Dont just build it.....make it!

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/1/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
All post 1980 VIN's are 17 digits long

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

robinj66

posted on 10/1/08 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you add "XXX" to the end of the number on the chassis and get the DVLA to issue paperwork with that number.

This issue should have been checked /sorted at the DVLA Inspection stage (Build Up Inspection)

caber

posted on 11/1/08 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Build up inspection is post SVA at this office. They will add 3 digits however there is intentionally no space to add digits where it is stamped! I also am not happy about having a visibly "ground off" chassis number the plod will just love it as will eagle eyed MOT inspectors! I still have the insurance problem I will probably need a whole new policy!

Caber

tks

posted on 11/1/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
cant you go to another DVLA station??

and wy the hell did you stamp 13 characters if on this WEBSITE everywhere is mentioned that it needs to be 17 ones??

also on the SVA appliance there are 17boxxes...

i would just re stamp the number on the chasis and tell the segurance company that they made a mistake and forgot 3numbers.. etc. etc. etc.

how to deal with the sva doc no idea but you know that the V5 is the boss..

also i would issue a letter wich is signed by the DVLA wich gives you the unique right to change that chasis number to another one.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Peteff

posted on 11/1/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
When the computerised MOT came in my VIN didn't match the one on their computer and I had to change the one on the car to match their records and have the V5 altered. Not a big problem but it took 3 months to sort out.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

caber

posted on 11/1/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
AARGH NO! I really don't want to wait 3 months for number plates!

Caber

Stu16v

posted on 12/1/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
All post 1980 VIN's are 17 digits long

As I said above, not on Jap imports they ain't (meaning the ones that have not been 'officially' brought in). Have a look at a chassis number on, for example, a Mitsubishi Pajero. 14 digits long IIRC...

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.