Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: type9 thrust bearing. where from?
scotty g

posted on 8/3/08 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
type9 thrust bearing. where from?

hi everybody,
just got me a clutch for my 1.8 zetec, picking up a spigot bearing this morning but whilst talking to the ford man at the garage he says he cannot get hold of a thrust bearing!
Now i do have the one that came with my Type 9 out of a 1.8cvh sierra and i'm told thats ok but if it isn't or it breaks in the future where the bloomin eck do i get one from?
Cheers.

Macbeast

posted on 8/3/08 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Try Haynes in Maidstone - they seem very helpful. You may find, with modern trends, you may have to buy complete clutch kit.

If you can let me have a suitable reg no, I could try my local factors who are usually good.

John

scutter

posted on 8/3/08 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
I've just brought at Q&H Capri thrust bearing from the local motor factors, so they can be got.

Part No.CCT133, coughed a bit at the £22, but i now know i can get one.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 8/3/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

£22

Thats a bit steep. Mine came from wilco for about 12. They are available. Most notor factors can/will get Quinton Hazel parts. A1 motorstores do, wilco do jayar part. Ther easily got just dont go to a ford dealer. Give the factor the number cct133 and theyl get it. I dont think the cvh bearing works with the zetec?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

j30fos

posted on 8/3/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've just got one from my local ford garage £10.22
Mole

posted on 8/3/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Again just from a local motor factors. First one said not available and I would haved to buy a full kit but the other was able to get no problems. I think I paid £15. Don't believe a CVH one would be any good as they were fitted with the MT75 box (although I stand to be corrected). If you cannot get anything local to you Burton Power stock them.
scotty g

posted on 8/3/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I know that the CVH was mated to the type9 and not the MT75 box but if anyone can confirm whether or not the CVH thrust bearing can be used that would be great.
Cheers.

chris-p-duck
Contributor

Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a sense of satisfaction now things seem to work ok

posted on 8/3/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
The CVH was definatley mated to a type 9 as that was the spec of my 'lovely' sierra!! I am also looking to put this type 9 onto a 1.8 zetec so would be most interested in the outcome of this thread. Also does anyone have the spigot bearing part number? And are there any tip or tricks to mating this engine and gearbox or is it as straightforward as is first seems?
Mole

posted on 8/3/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
If that is the case then I cannot see why it could not be used as the thrust bearing matches the gearbox as apposed to the engine. I do know that the Sierra bearing is sometimes considered to be a bit thin so you get a fairly short throw on the clutch. I think this is why people opt for a capri one but cannot be sure since I used a sierra item. As for fitting the box it is a straight fit with the top bolt holes. Rescued attachment enginewithboxrr.jpg
Rescued attachment enginewithboxrr.jpg

Mole

posted on 8/3/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
As for part numbers I simply asked for a release bearing of an early sierra ( I think I quoted pre '89) to be sure of getting a bearing to fit. Clearly I didn't know that the CVH sierra was fitted with a type 9 but your probably better quoting early anyway just in case Ford mixed and matched.
chris-p-duck
Contributor

Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 8/3/08 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
How short is short though? I am all for avoiding additional cost (I am tight!) and complication as long as the result is acceptable. I am not using the sierra pedal box but a 'custom' one that came with the kit.
Mole

posted on 8/3/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I intend to get away with it

My engine is the chassis now but I don't have the clutch cable rigged up so haven't operated it to see. I have heard that it is acceptable you just get less throw on the clutch than you "should".

[Edited on 8/3/08 by Mole]

chris-p-duck
Contributor

Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 8/3/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
I think I shall continue down that road as well then!! Thanks for your help pal!
Mole

posted on 8/3/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Don't use the Sierra clutch cable though if your not using the pedals. I made that mistake.
scotty g

posted on 8/3/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just picked up my spigot bearing from my local Ford dealer, the packaging states the part number as being 1596468.
will be fitting it on Monday so will find out then if its the right one or not.

Schrodinger

posted on 8/3/08 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that for £15 it is worth changing the thrust bearing as they are a diposable part like the clutch and you will have to take the engine/box out if it fails.

Keith
Aviemore

scotty g

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
You're probably right, i will phone my local parts dealer in the week and quote the part number given earlier in this thread.
chris-p-duck
Contributor

Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 9/3/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Does anything need modding on the box to fit this new thrust bearing or is it a straight swap? How about the spigot bearing - just a simple push fit? Apologies for the dumb questions - I am new to this mix and match engine/gearbox thing!
paulf

posted on 9/3/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Its a direct fit , spigot bearing just taps into the zetec crank.
Paul

scotty g

posted on 10/3/08 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Oh my God, i've been having a bloody nightmare trying to get a sodding thrust bearing.
Armed with the information given i have been on the hunt all morning and i have only just got any success.
Tried all the local motor factors.... nothing
Tried all the local ford dealers.....nothing
Just tried Burton Power...Bingo Bango
They can supply me with:-
CVH thrust bearing...part number ECB105 £20.95 inc VAT
pinto thrust bearing...part number ECB113 £17.50 inc VAT
The part numbers are different to the one quoted earlier but i guess i will bw going for the Pinto one?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.