Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Digital Dash
ed_crouch

posted on 2/12/03 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Digital Dash

Going to have a go at developing a digital dash. 7 segment displays for speed, bar graphs for other indicators.

What will the man from SVA want to see in terms of a mileometer???

Ed

PioneerX

posted on 2/12/03 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ed,

I was looking at doing that myself. Planned to use a PIC as the processor directly off electronic sensors, this allows very find tuning of read out as it is computer processed. Makes SVA speed test easy to pass

What do you think?

Simon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 3/12/03 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
guys,

try a search on the electrics setcion, there have been threads on this before. there is currently a thread on using the vx astra digidash. might not be what you're after but could be some helpful links.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 3/12/03 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ed, I think the SVA man needs odometer at the minimum, also the speedo needs to be back lit for night driving.

Dan.

TheGecko

posted on 4/12/03 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking along the lines of making my own instruments as well but I'm aiming at an analog speedo and tacho with a dot matrix VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Display) for everything else eg odometer, trip meter/s, fuel, temp etc.

The VFD is one of these, specifically the CU20025ECPB-W1J, which is 2 lines of 20 characters, each about 5mm high. The advantage of the VFD over an LCD (which would be a lot cheaper) is the viewability(?) in variable lighting conditions eg direct sunlight etc. For the analog dials, I'm going to use radio control model servos with a simple dial cord and pulley connection to get sufficent travel (most servos are less than 180 degrees travel from end to end).

Driving all this will be either a couple of PIC's or an ATMEL AVR processor board - probably the ATMEL as a) I already have it and b) it has enough inputs, outputs and horsepower to do the job. The processor also has FLASH memory which can be used to store odo values and any other persistent settings. An interface to a removable memory stick of some sort could provide basic data-logging too, which would be nice.

The servos are easy to drive with a single PWM output and the VFD uses a parallel interface very similar to the common HD47780 LCD one. Biggest problem is probably the usual one of signal conditioning and so on, particularly in an electrically noisy and vibrating automotive environment.

Most of this is pie-in-the-sky at present although the VFD is on order and should be here by Xmas and, as above, I already have the processor board. More details as it happens although I can't imagine I'll be doing anything on this (other than basic experiments) until late next year. Always happy to discuss ideas of course.

Dominic

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.