SAAB Engines

HI any one know any thing about Saab v6 3000 engines IE
how big size [ will it fit a 7 ]
what weight are they
what gear box will it fit [ will it fit a type 9 ]
will it run on mega-squirt
are they alloy heads
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom windmill

posted on 5/6/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the plan Jacko??
richardR1

posted on 5/6/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Will be same lump as the Omega V6 so gearbox from one of those would bolt up, R28 I believe is the code for a manual Omega box.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

Chippy

posted on 5/6/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
The SAAB V6 is not a very tuneable engine, you would be far better getting the SAAB 2 ltr turbo, or 2.3 ltr turbo. If you get a post 93 one it will bolt onto a Vauxhall box, pre 93 and you would need an adaptor plate. The engines are very easy to tune and 270 bhp on the 2 ltr, and 300 bhp on the 2.3 are easy, and they will still do mega miles, and return good economy. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

drlloyd

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Chippy, get a 2.0 or 2.3 turbo. If you get a 2.0 LPT (150hp) you can up the power to 225hp by just fitting a boost control solenoid and an ecu with uprated map (total approx. £100 second hand). You can download free Saab re-map software (to re-map the Saab Trionic ecu) here: http://members.home.nl/t5suite/ if you don't want to buy another ecu.
The Saab 9000 turbo engine has forged pistons as standard and using the software you can even limit the boost in first and second gear!

They are awesome engines but the major disadvantages for a kitcar are the size, weight and potentially ferocious torque steer.

D Beddows

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
But if you're getting a 2 or a 2.3L get a pre '98 one from a 9000 (red DI cartridge rather than black) because the newer ones in the 95's and 93's aren't nearly as reliable or long lived.

The V6's aren't anything special at all tbh.

j30fos

posted on 6/6/08 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ive just finished my saab powered westy, do a search on here. Ive got a few pics in my archive that may help you
jacko

posted on 6/6/08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info keep it coming
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 6/6/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
The version of the V6 fitted to the 9-5 has a strange low pressure turbo system running on just the rear bank of cylinders (). Barely raises power - 220 as opposed to 208 in the non-turbo 9000 and vauxhall omega versions, but is said to give a decent low-end torque improvement.

Liam

NS Dev

posted on 6/6/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said, saab v6 = gm vauxhall v6

Will fit type 9 gearbox using vauxhall bellhousings designed to fit the XE to the type 9, very readily available. Also b/h avail to fit this pattern engine to the borg warner t5 for mega power jobbies.

Omega R25-R28 box is pretty strong (from manual 2.5 and 3.0 omegas) but pretty rare and seems to fetch over £100 (paid £60 for mine)

We are putting one into an opel kadett on an LET vauxhall engine with 350hp.......not sure if itll be ok but it must be better than the manta 1800 getrag (getrag 240) that was in it!!

Clutch wise, its all off the shelf, be it saab 4 pot (by the way its post '94 to be safe, that fits the gm bellhousign pattern, as the change was late '93) or v6. The gm 14 spine on the omega box can take an omega v6 or cav/calibra turbo friction plate, and the std saab/gm pressure plate that comes with the engine.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

D Beddows

posted on 7/6/08 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
This current PPC driven craze for Saab engines is a bit of a laugh in my opinion.... the older ones are really rather good (and if anyone has a decent low mileage 2.3 fpt automatic 9000 for sale I'm very interested btw ) but the newer engines are rubbish tbh - most of them have oil strainers blocked with sludge due to them having been run with semi synthetic oil rather than synthetic for at least 60,000 miles until Saab finally admitted they actually needed fully synthetic oil a couple of years ago. Then there's the timing and balance chains that need changing every 80K or so which wont leave you with much change from £1K when you get it done (even the kit to do it yourself is £700 ish) and then there's the DI cartridge which will give up the ghost without any warning and which costs you £120+ to replace and it has taken Saab 4 goes to get the crankcase breathing anywhere near right......

I drive a '98 95 which to be honest is a really nice car, no rust anywhere, fully loaded, leather heated seats etc etc but is worth absolutely nothing, basically because the engine needs new timing and balance chains so it sounds like a diesel engine when it's cold and doesn't idle well any more

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.