Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stuck XE oil pressure valve!!!
gregf27

posted on 15/6/08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Stuck XE oil pressure valve!!!

Managed to strip down all the hydraulic lifters in the XE head this weekend, cleaned em all up and refitted them, great I thought,
thought I would check the oil pressure valve fitted to the side of the oil pump as the oil pressure was showing very high on the ETB gauge - have been trying to remove the valve all afternoon -dam thing is stuck, I dont fancy taking the sump off and then the pump to get to it, are there any tips for its removal while still attached to the engine???,
cheers guys
Greg

philw

posted on 15/6/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
You are lucky to have spotted that, mine jammed on a trackday and this is what happened two laps in.
Not sure how to get it out though as i bought a complete new pump, SBD do a nylon relief valve kit well worth it.

http://www.clubstylus.be/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=399

[Edited on 15/6/08 by philw]

Must try harder

gregf27

posted on 15/6/08 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
All sorted out!
managed to find a thread from a Westfield forum, they had to use a small allen key and a pair of molegrips -
so I tried that and success!!

used a 4mm allen key , with a bit sawn off the end and cleaned up with wet and dry paper, clamped it in a pair of mole grips.
Then you find one of the 4 oil holes in the stuck valve and pull down - job done ,
piccy for those interested

[img][/img]

Stu16v

posted on 15/6/08 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother with the SBD nylon valve Greg - they jam just the same - just cost you more for the privilege!

Best just reducing the outer diameter of the valve very slightly, and keep a north eye on the pressure gauge. They can stick open as well as closed...

NS Dev

posted on 15/6/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, was above, DON'T use the nylon one!!!

We had one stick with disastrous consequeces!!!

Just spin the std one up in some fine wet and dry (1200 grit) with WD40 so its OD gets polished down a touch

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

gregf27

posted on 15/6/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
cheers Stu and NS Dev,
wont bother with the nylon valve - gonna use the wet and dry and oil method and try again,
regards,
Greg

philw

posted on 16/6/08 at 04:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Yep, was above, DON'T use the nylon one!!!

We had one stick with disastrous consequeces!!!

Just spin the std one up in some fine wet and dry (1200 grit) with WD40 so its OD gets polished down a touch

Well, you live and learn, i guess i'll save some money and use some wet and dry, cheers guys.

[Edited on 16/6/08 by philw]

Must try harder

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.