Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering wheel Q's
RickRick

posted on 19/6/08 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel Q's

Hi i've got a MNR with the steering columb modded for paddel shift and removable wheel, which is an omp super quadro.
is it ok to have a removable wheel for sva?
and since it's not a big bendy wheel like the sierra do i need to fit a collapsable boss if so anyone know were i can get one from

thanks Rick

worX

posted on 19/6/08 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
The steering wheel should not have an impact of whether you need a collapsible boss or not - that is more often determined by your column. Is it a standard Sierra column?

With regard your SVA and quick release wheel - it depends on your test station and tester. Some say that it should not be able to be removed whilst the vehicle is in motion (which most can) yet others have passed as it is. (mine being one of them) So the easiest thing to do is to call your specific test station and ask the tester himself. They are usually quite helpful with bits of advice like that and it's nice to say hello and show you have an interest in passing rather than just showing up with a car that's probably going to fail!

HTH
Steve

nitram38

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of people get confused about collasable boss's etc.
Your steering system must be made so that in the event of a front impact, the steering wheel must not be forced back into the driver.
A collapsable boss means that the steering wheel will still hit the driver!!!!!!!
You need to either offset the colomn by the use of UJ's or have a collapsable section in the colomn itself.
This means that the steering wheel should stay put and the rest of the steering system absorbs the impact.

RickRick

posted on 19/6/08 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
sounds good i've got a collapsable steering colum

Thanks

richardh

posted on 19/6/08 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
i have the same set up and sva man was more than happy
Stu16v

posted on 19/6/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Your steering system must be made so that in the event of a front impact, the steering wheel must not be forced back into the driver.
A collapsable boss means that the steering wheel will still hit the driver!!!!!!!
You need to either offset the colomn by the use of UJ's or have a collapsable section in the colomn itself.
This means that the steering wheel should stay put and the rest of the steering system absorbs the impact.

Err nope - not quite, that is just one of the requirements. The steering wheel/column must also offer protection to the human bonce 'equivalent to a type approved assembly' as well...

Dont just build it.....make it!

nitram38

posted on 19/6/08 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

Err nope - not quite, that is just one of the requirements. The steering wheel/column must also offer protection to the human bonce 'equivalent to a type approved assembly' as well...

A thin rubber pad is not the same as a collapsable boss. My car passed with this, no collapsable boss required.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.