Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do I have to pay an Italian traffic offence fine?
blockhead_rich

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Do I have to pay an Italian traffic offence fine?

Just received an letter informing me that I have committed a traffic offence whilst I was on holiday last August in Italy and asking for payment of a €100 fine within the next 20 days. I know I was there but didn't know I commited any crime. What happens if I don't pay it? Will they catch up with me as threatened?

Any advice gratefully received!
Rich

designer

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have been fined in France in my english registered car.

I would pay it as soon all countries will be linked for motoring fines and the fine will rise.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
They'll have the Mafia after you if you don't!

Seriously, I'd be surprised if they can enforce it.

[Edited on 30/6/08 by whitestu]

mookaloid

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth asking here - http://www.pepipoo.com/

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
seem to remember clarkson saying he's got about 20-30 speeding tickets outstanding in USA

then again he says a lot of things

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

richardh

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
we dont enforce the foreigners in this country so i'd say forget it.
on the other hand, if you do then expect to be arrested if tou arrive in that country again as its bound to be on a database somewhere...........

bloody databases, the inventor should be shot in every joint and then the head last.................................

Flamez

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
10 months ago.... are you sure it isn't a scam of some sort
pewe

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Two contributors on AutoItalia were fined and had their licences confiscated but allowed to exit the country.
After some time they paid the fine and were told they could collect their licences from the police station where they were caught.

Before they did this one returned to Italy and was told by the guy at the Immigration desk at an entirely different airport that his license was awaiting collection!
Draw your own conclusions but if you intend to return/hire a car is it worth risking having your collar felt/delaying your entrance or even being refused entry?
Cheers, Pewe

PS as Flamez says check it isn't a scam but if you hired a car the notification will I think come via the hire company.
Try Rudi on here for local knowledge.

[Edited on 30/6/08 by pewe]

iank

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think as an EU citizen you can be prevented entry (as I understand the rules anyway), however they can certainly arrest you/make you pay the fine on the spot 5 seconds after they've stamped your passport

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

theconrodkid

posted on 30/6/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
friend of mine was hit with one of these,it was a scam.
as long as you dont intend returning to italy i wouldnt bother

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

paulf

posted on 30/6/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would just send it back, with not known at this address on it.
Paul

blockhead_rich

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmm food for thought. I don't think it is a scam as I had notification from the hire company to say that they had to forward my details to the local establishment for which I had to pay!

Thing I dislike is that I have no way of knowing what I did wrong exactly and hence cannot prove my innocence! Just have to take their word for it. I'll try to give them a ring in the morning to see what they say!

Rich

Paul TigerB6

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blockhead_rich
Mmmm food for thought. I don't think it is a scam as I had notification from the hire company to say that they had to forward my details to the local establishment for which I had to pay!

Thing I dislike is that I have no way of knowing what I did wrong exactly and hence cannot prove my innocence! Just have to take their word for it. I'll try to give them a ring in the morning to see what they say!

Rich

Could still be a scam i guess - would suggest the only way the scammers could get your contact details is through the hire company records if they managed to get hold of them. Are you 100% sure its genuinely from the hire company (and not from maybe a dodgy employee)??

RK

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Contact the authorities in the city you hired the car (the local city hall, probably not the Carabanieri). They will find out for you if you are owing or not.

[Edited on 30/6/08 by RK]

ned

posted on 1/7/08 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Friend of mine had an 'overdue' speeding fine from France in his Elise, he bought a cheap personalised number plate as he was worried about being vaught out and has been back many times now without any problems.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 1/7/08 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blockhead_rich
Thing I dislike is that I have no way of knowing what I did wrong exactly and hence cannot prove my innocence! Just have to take their word for it.

I can't believe you'd even consider paying out without knowing precisely what for. It screams 'wrong' on so many levels. Is it because the penalty notice is in Italian or because you simply don't have one? You are legally not obliged to sign anything that's not in your own language, they will have to send you one in English if they want you to own up.

blockhead_rich

posted on 1/7/08 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Found out that it's genuine alright (pic of the hire car availabel via the net) but luckily for me (although not her though of course), my wife is disabled and therefore I can appeal against the fine based upon her being with me! So I will hopefully get off scott free!

Thanks for all of your advise though, it was greatly appreciated!

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.