Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boring boring boring another fuel protest
mr henderson

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Boring boring boring another fuel protest

I wonder what they are hoping to achieve this time, apart from inconveniencing a large number of people who have absolutely no control over what is causing the problem.

How do they think that blocking various roads around the Uk is going to have the slightest effect on the spot price of light crude on NYMEX, or the price of Brent crude on the ICE?

It's all very silly, though it gives the BBC soemthing to report, and they can interview hauliers who each seem to think that they are the only ones having to pay more, and that the government could do something about it if they wanted to (neither of which is true)

John

donut

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
The only way i can see anything really being done is if everybody that drives a car...and i mean everybody in the whole world stops buying fuel.

but that aint gonna happen!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
: bloody outrageous prices!! how the hell am I meant to take the kids to school in the chieftain tank now, don’t get me started on the road tax!!!

At this rate I’ll be forced to use the bus like common scum

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
At least it gives the doom and gloom brigade on Pistonheads something to moan on (and on....and on....) about
02GF74

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
did I mention we're doomed?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson and that the government could do something about it if they wanted to (neither of which is true)

John

Seeing as the majority of the price of a litre of fuel goes to the government in their various taxes, the above is hardly true is it!!

Every time the price rises due to the increased cost of crude oil, the government rakes in extra revenue from the additional VAT paid - so the Treasury must be loving it really. If the Hauliers can at least stop the annual 2p (actually 2.35p after the VAT is added which they omit to inform you of) increase in duty that seems to happen every budget then its a success

mr henderson

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson and that the government could do something about it if they wanted to (neither of which is true)

John

Seeing as the majority of the price of a litre of fuel goes to the government in their various taxes, the above is hardly true is it!!

Every time the price rises due to the increased cost of crude oil, the government rakes in extra revenue from the additional VAT paid - so the Treasury must be loving it really. If the Hauliers can at least stop the annual 2p (actually 2.35p after the VAT is added which they omit to inform you of) increase in duty that seems to happen every budget then its a success

Well, the problem with that is that hauliers will all be VAT registered, and therefore able to reclaim the VAT on the fuel they use in the course of their business.

John

Dangle_kt

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
that advert is STUPIDLY BIG!

I know you have paid your money to be a trader, but if all traders had ads that size each page would be stupidly long.

You could be reasonable.

ned

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
If we had been paying a lower rate of tax on fuel as everyone seems to think we should be (not saying we shoudln't) over say the last 12-18 months our fuel would have effectively gone up proportionally higher because the tax hasn't changed massively so is quite stable + inflationary increase but fuel has gone up at a much faster rate and we would still be up in arms about it.

I don't think there's much can be done about it, drive more conservatively and make less journeys as much as you can. yes I know this doesn't apply to hauliers but they'll just have to put their prices up! To give a comparison, we've had teh credit crunch which has hit the banks and they've simply put their rates up to cover their risks/costs - it's not rocket science is it!

beware, I've got yellow skin

mr henderson

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

I know you have paid your money to be a trader, but if all traders had ads that size each page would be stupidly long.

You could be reasonable.

Give me a minute! I'm much better at chassis than I am at this internet stuff. I'm trying hard to get protobucket to re-size it but everything seems to be very sluggish

John

Benzine

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

You could be reasonable.

It looks tiny

24" monitor atm tbh

woodster

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
anyone with half a brain ... this goverment and mr henderson excluded .... can see that the cost of fuel and the part the tax plays in its cost is helping to drive up inflation .... but the good news is its helping to put this labour party and mr won't listen brown in the bin
mr henderson

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
anyone with half a brain ... this goverment and mr henderson excluded .... can see that the cost of fuel and the part the tax plays in its cost is helping to drive up inflation .... but the good news is its helping to put this labour party and mr won't listen brown in the bin

Well, I'm glad to see you are not including me with the people who only have half a brain (I expect they are all out riding their motorbikes )

BTW, chance of the conservatives getting in at the next election? Very low. It amazes me how the media go on about low popularity of the government, thing is, next election time the voters will have the same two choices they did last time. We will all have to wait and see, but at this point in time I would not be willing to bet very much on a change in government

John

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
anyone with half a brain ... this goverment and mr henderson excluded .... can see that the cost of fuel and the part the tax plays in its cost is helping to drive up inflation

Ah but the government have ways to deal with things like this pushing up inflation............ just exclude fuel prices from the inflation figures they choose to use in future......easy. They have done it before and they will do it again - try looking at the Retail Price Index for a more true figure

woodster

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

Well, I'm glad to see you are not including me with the people who only have half a brain (I expect they are all out riding their motorbikes )

BTW, chance of the conservatives getting in at the next election? Very low. It amazes me how the media go on about low popularity of the government, thing is, next election time the voters will have the same two choices they did last time. We will all have to wait and see, but at this point in time I would not be willing to bet very much on a change in government

John

I WAS INCLUDING YOU IN WITH THE PEOPLE WITH NO BRAIN

ned

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
anyone with half a brain ... this goverment and mr henderson excluded ....

I WAS INCLUDING YOU IN WITH THE PEOPLE WITH NO BRAIN

Now, now, children...!!

beware, I've got yellow skin

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/7/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Well I think I deserve a gold star for effort

Not only am I using the bus to go to work (free since I drove them and the company runs a free one too), using my mountain bike to get the shopping (despite the huge hill), using my 4-stroke 125 for where it’s to far to cycle (120+mpg & £15 for road tax ha ha ha!) and only using the Volvo to tow the odd trailer (but I’ll be selling that as it’s badly built). So put that in your pipe and smoke it

May I also mention that the girls at work are looking truly stunning today in their skimpy tops now that the suns out

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/7/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
May I also mention that the girls at work are looking truly stunning today in their skimpy tops now that the suns out

Still no pics so we dont believe you!! We all know you have an over-active imagination!!

woodster

posted on 2/7/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
now now children
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/7/08 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:

Still no pics so we dont believe you!! We all know you have an over-active imagination!!

I’ll think about it….

…na! I’ll just be greedy and keep them to myself No imagination required today have they no shame?!

woodster

posted on 2/7/08 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
in this part of the world its known as a ..... Bingo top (eyes down look in)
Dangle_kt

posted on 2/7/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry mate, I thought you were having a laugh!

That looks MUCH better, and it's easier to read too.
quote:
quote:

You could be reasonable.

Give me a minute! I'm much better at chassis than I am at this internet stuff. I'm trying hard to get protobucket to re-size it but everything seems to be very sluggish

John

Benzine

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
…na! I’ll just be greedy and keep them to myself No imagination required today have they no shame?!

pics or ban.

or at least a detailed description (estimated cup sizes, dress colours, marks out of 10 etc)

woodster

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:

pics or ban.

or at least a detailed description (estimated cup sizes, dress colours, marks out of 10 etc)

I'd settle for a rough sketch with maybe rough measurements

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.