Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Census?
BenB

posted on 2/7/08 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Census?

Almost got pulled over today and I reckon it's a bit dodge.
Transport for London were doing a "census" about how many journeys people take. They were stopping every other car and asking questions. That's fair enough (if people want to answer the bloody questions) but they had a policeman directing traffic into a special lane they'd set up. Luckily all the available slots were full so I could carry on my merry way.
Thing is, what the hell are policeman doing requesting people to stop when infact the lady with then clipboard comes along and says "do you mind answering some questions for transport for London"

Surely that's an abuse of the policeman's power? He wasn't smiling nicely with a sign saying "please stop if you fancy filling in a questionnaire no-one will ever read" he was directing (as in "do it or your nicked sonny " ) the traffic. If I'd stuck up two fingers surely I would have then got done for not stopping. But for what??

Dodgier than a jam dodger at a dodgeball competition.

also see:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article3971799.ece

mr henderson

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I agree

I remember once being prevented from driving home along a particular country road because some people were filming at one of the houses along the way. Asked not to drive along that road might have been OK, but being prevented was not OK.

John

ned

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
why don't they just use all the cameras to read the number plates and map the route the cars take - oh, are they not allowed to do that because it's an infringement of your privacy or civil rights?!

and you don't have to answer their survey either, right?

lol

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RickRick

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
i guess it's to make sure people are pulled over safely can you imagine the chaos if the woman with the clipboard ran into the road and started flagging you down, anyway it means they have less time to stop people for doing 41 in a 40, whilst the drunks, robbers, and general scum drive past unhindered
02GF74

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
If I'd stuck up two fingers surely I would have then got done for not stopping. But for what??

you would have been given a cup of tea with two sugars ....

.... just before "falling down the stairs" at the police station.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
If I'd stuck up two fingers surely I would have then got done for not stopping. But for what??

.... just before "falling down the stairs" at the police station.

hope Fozzie doesnt read that!!

r1_pete

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

That a reference to an avatar??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
It's true. Pulling people over by the side of the road to MAKE them take part in a census for which there is no legal perogative is dangerous and causes delays..... One very good reason why TfL should bog off. You can imagine the discussion @ TfL

- "shall we pay for someone to ring round and ask people?"
- "nah- it's much cheaper to get an off duty policeman to force people to stop and get answers that way"

Whatever next? Police pulling people over to help surveys where the opening line is

"can I ask how much you pay for your gas? My name is Cretin from British Gas and I'd like to reduce your gas bill......"

Good thing they didn't stop me.... I was not in a good mood and the answers I gave probably wouldn't have been one of the options on the clipboard....

02GF74

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
"No ingleesh speeeky" would shut them up.

r1_pete

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
They do often have them on my way into work, problem is the pull off is a single lane and you have to wait in line till some clipboard wielding numpty gets to you.

I was stopped once, I asked the rozzer (sorry special constable, read - hobby bobby)

have I committed an offence - No,

do the police want to talk to me - No,

then you wont mind me declining your kind invitation to pull over then will you - No, on your way sir.....

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/7/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
"No ingleesh speeeky" would shut them up.

and probably get you a council house and stack of benefits thrust at you!!

Agriv8

posted on 2/7/08 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ah you see they need statisticks so they can bend/manipulate them into backing up what ever scheme that will scr£w more brass ( tax ) out of you.

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 2/7/08 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Hammerhead

posted on 2/7/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
they were doing this in nottingham yesterday. Police stopping ALL traffic even if the lights were green so the people could give me a questionaire to fill in for transport measures.
Wanted to know how many people live in my house, the address of where I had travelled from and going to.

Bloody cheek! civil liberties etc. On the questionaire is says fill in and post back promptly - erm f@ck off I don't think I will thanks.

Now filed in the bin.

wilkingj

posted on 2/7/08 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
London Transport (or any other censor people) do not have the legal power to stop the traffic. Thats what the policeman is for. Also to ensure the flow of traffic is regulated etc etc.

You do not have to answer their questions with real answers. You can make it up as you go... but thats not in the spirit of the census

Its fun watching them, as you tell them you have just driven from Glasgow, then you are going to Exeter, and than back home to Dublin, all in one day.

It makes them think they have a good job

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

DaveFJ

posted on 2/7/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
They were doing them in Ipswich last week and this....

Last thursday the blocked all 3 main routes into town at rushhour (no seperate lane they just blocked everyone)

they pulled the missus ovber and asked her if she would mind answering questions - she said "yes I bloody well would, do you mind NOT making me and everyone else late for work!"

they had a cooper on hand but i think that was to deal with any trouble..

they were still at it for the evening rush hour!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

SteveWalker

posted on 2/7/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
They tried it a while back where the M56 changes to an A road going into Manchester - at least someone had the sense to call it off after they'd created a ten mile tailback!
Mr Clive

posted on 2/7/08 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ive not seen one round my way for a while.

Its perfectly legal as long as a police officer is in attendance and does all the stopping. There is no legal obligation to answer questions or give truthful answers though

A minute or two delay for people who are willing to answer a few questions isnt too bad as long as they let those who refuse, go sharpish.

But stopping everyone or having it set up so it causes delays is just inconsiderate and imo dangerous.

30 years ago it was the only way to get decent statistics on traffic flows around a compact but complex network (town centre for instance). Now days you can get ANPR surveys, with a camera sitting on each approach/exit to the area in question. They look at number plates and see where cars are going from and to. They dont keep the number plate data afaik but they generate useful traffic flow data. Better data than a census(no "micky mouse heading to visit pluto on the moon" type answers) and no delays.

Rest assured, the policeman would have been on overtime, paid for by TfL so its not exactly a waste of police time (just a waste of taxpayers money)

Danozeman

posted on 2/7/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
They were doing that in ipswich last week. Right pain in the arse. Trying to ease congestion by causing it.

I avoided it like the plague. If they give a choice as to whether you answer it or not then id have stoppped, being forced to they can f off. They always put them on the most annoying places to to create most havvock.

editied to say just read Daves answer!! They started at half 6 in the morning and finished about 8 in the evening!!!

[Edited on 2/7/08 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.