Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake pedal gone long!
les

posted on 2/7/08 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
brake pedal gone long!

hi guys,

Just completed second track day on the avon using green stuff pads at the front on standard cortina calipers and discs,
standard sierra drums at the rear.

The brake pedal has "gone long", you now seem to have to push the pedal further than before. Cant find any leaks,
and looks to be plenty of material left on the pads.

Anyone got any ideas? do I need to bleed them again?

Les

blue2cv

posted on 2/7/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly boiled the fluid with your enthusiastic driving, try bleeding to rid the bubbles
repper

posted on 2/7/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate i had a frend how fitted green stuff pads to his focus ST and fount gave him a very soft pedal so much that he ownly used them for a week or so

if not the pads hows the hand brake have you lost any ajust ment on the rear brakes as this can give you a long pedel cos the shoes have to traval ferver in the drum may be your back brakes are working to hard ?

les

posted on 2/7/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
thought that might be the answer,

damm i hate bleeding brakes.......

les

les

posted on 2/7/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
handbrake also needs a bit more travel than it used to, i guess Ill have to check
repper

posted on 2/7/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
what brake fluid you using try this stuff it compterbull with standed fluid so no need to replace any seels not badly priced iver http://www.compbrake.co.uk/index.htm

[Edited on 2/7/08 by repper]

les

posted on 2/7/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, ill try to sort them tomorow
and report

C10CoryM

posted on 2/7/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
If your handbrake pulls further up check the adjustment of the rear brakes. If your rear shoes are too far from the drums the pistons have to push out further, making a softer pedal. Also makes the handbrake have to pull further. Some cars are very sensitive to brake adjustments.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Russ-Turner

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
We're up to AP660 now! You ain't boiling that cack.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
(1) Check the calipers for a seized piston in one of the calipers OR a pad stuck so can't slide in the caliper in the caliper -- these faults used to be a very common fault on Fords in the 1970s .

(2) Check the handbrake cable isn't too tight and stopping the self adjuster working.

(3) If neither of the above check the piston in your master cylinder is coming back far enough to let fluid in to make up for pad wear --- easiest way to do this is bleed the brakes.

[Edited on 3/7/08 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blue2cv
Possibly boiled the fluid with your enthusiastic driving, try bleeding to rid the bubbles

Very highly unlikely it takes a lot to boil fresh DOT5 fluid, the discs would have to be glowing.

Avoid ultra high boiling point fluids they are extremely hydroscopic ---- after 6 months the boiling point is lower than Dot5 or even Dot4 fluid.

[Edited on 4/7/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 3/7/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by repper
hi mate i had a frend how fitted green stuff pads to his focus ST and fount gave him a very soft pedal so much that he ownly used them for a week or so

if not the pads hows the hand brake have you lost any ajust ment on the rear brakes as this can give you a long pedel cos the shoes have to traval ferver in the drum may be your back brakes are working to hard ?

Never be tempted to adjust the rear brakes by tightening up the hand brake cable. The brake self adjusters are inside the drum and depend on some lost motion in the handbrake cable to work.

If the handbrake cable is tight not only will the adjusters not work properly but it can interfere withe operation of the foot brake mechanism.

[Edited on 3/7/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.