Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh yes!!! F1 to move to Donnington from 2010
BenB

posted on 4/7/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Oh yes!!! F1 to move to Donnington from 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7489662.stm

Favorite circuit in the world
Not sure its so friendly for modern F1 cars but hey....

BenB

posted on 4/7/08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Oh no!!! Just read the full report

"the track will need lengthening"

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Hands off Donington.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 4/7/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
£100m investment planned for Donnington
omega0684

posted on 4/7/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
why are they moving it from silverstone?

surely that is the best place for it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ravingfool

posted on 4/7/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Donnington is a fantastic track and I've watched some great racing there, but having seen an F1 car go round there at the Renault World Series last year, the track is certainly not big enough to bother having F1 races on it. As for changing the track, I hope they don't. And as for parking, it's a ruddy great field just like silverstone and will be no better for parking and it's damned hard to get anywhere near it on a race day.

Howlor

posted on 4/7/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Had to be one of the best GP's ever last time it was held at donnington.

My mate always used to say that it was the most awesome sight seeing F1's in the mid 80's coming down the hill at Donnington.

Steve

AR-CoolC

posted on 4/7/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
There is just no way this will happen in 2 years time.

Donnington needs millions spending in it to get it anywhere near F1 standards. It would mean the whole place being raised to the ground and rebuilt, so infact will not be Donnington anymore

And then there is the whole issue of access, 6 years ago the whole A43 to Silverstone had to be duelled, and even then they have to convert it to a 4 lane highway on race weekend. The only access to Donnington is down a single carriageway that also has to feed EM airport.

Pie in the sky to upset Silverstone and the BRDC (who won't let Bernie join)

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

vinny1275

posted on 4/7/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with AR-CoolC - the planning permission they'll need to get the changes through will mean it gets referred to the secretary of state, so will take longer than 18 months to get through. They can't already have submitted the planning permission plans, something that big would have found its way into the motorsport press already.

And again, to make it into "The venue the fans deserve", they'll need to put in a massive car park, and its own junctions from the M1 and M42. Getting in and out of the Renault world series day last year was a complete nightmare. It took 2 hours to do the last 6 miles, and that was about 100K people - British GP Sunday at Silverstone is over 150K.

One of the telling things is that they seem to have £100 million quid in private finance, from someone who's also a shareholder... I wonder if Bernie's invested in the new company that owns Donnington?? hmmmm... The thing they seem to have forgotten is that this isn't China or Bharain, where they can just carve up an area of countryside and spring up a new circuit. Oh, and there's a precendent for this - The British GP was given to Brands (which I think Bernie had a share in at the time) for 2000 onwards, but it didn't happen when they didn't get planning permission for the circuit changes required.....

ETA - Surely they'll also need to close the circuit completely for a year to be able to get all this work done?

[Edited on 4/7/08 by vinny1275]

D Beddows

posted on 4/7/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have to say that this must be one of the more stupid motorsports related ideas I've heard for a good while........ the 2 1/2 hours I sat in a traffic jam failing completely to get anywhere near Donnington for the Renault World Series thing last year would seem to seriously contradict the 'good transport links' part of it just as a starter.....
iank

posted on 4/7/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
On the subject of planning permission, wasn't Bernie as thick as thieves with Blair/New Labour? If so getting the planning permission sorted might not be the biggest problem.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

smart51

posted on 4/7/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Even with the melbourne loop, it is only 2.5 miles long, shorter than any current F1 circuit, but not by much.
ned

posted on 4/7/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
it used to be a lot longer, there are maps on the web of old versions of the circuit where the loop was a lot longer (although the rest of the circuit was not so long iirc)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DRC INDY 7

posted on 4/7/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I can not wait i will be there
At donnington i have watched the old f1 cars from the 70s and 80s 2 years ago and there was plenty of overtaking then

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

ned

posted on 4/7/08 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
found an old map of the longer circuit:

believe it was shortened as after the war when they reopened it from being in military use is was easier to shorten it so it was only in 1 county so they only needed one lot of planning permission...

[Edited on 4/7/08 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

Gordon Brown

posted on 4/7/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
All my idea dont'cher know!

here is my other idea for raising revenue at the new site....

bilbo

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
The new track plans have now been revealed. I've attached them in this thread:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=96508&page=#pid802961

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

DaveFJ

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the new track was going to look more like this.....

new donny track
new donny track

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.