Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA fail.....
pewe

posted on 29/8/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
SVA fail.....

Went to Southampton yesterday.
As prev. mentioned Mark there is a top bloke - helpful, efficient and gives it a very thorough going-over.
Fail was all self-induced (aren't they all?) - main ones - 1) HC level was way out, think I must have slipped a tooth on one of the cam pulleys when I replaced the belt and 2) the rears locked before the fronts (some numpty put the larger m/c to the back) so hopefully both easily fixed.
Other detail ones for those going for SVA - No self adhesive pads to retain wiring (the Maplin ones really don't last).
No raw sheet metal anywhere they are likely to be contacted whilst the car is being serviced/worked on.
Edges on Racetech centre mirror and the underside of rear number plate light too sharp.
Interior switches and knobs must not project more than 9mm from the dashboard in the contact zone.
There were a couple of other points (anyone got a Sierra lower steering column for sale?) but again not too difficult to fix.
Altogether a good day out and not a drastic fail.
Next time I reckon I'll drive it there.
Finally thanks to all you guys on here for your help, advice and shared knowledge - it certainly made the difference.
Cheers, Pewe

richardh

posted on 29/8/08 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
lucky you didn't drive it there with the brake the wrong way round.. could have been interesting.
my racetech mirror went thro ok.
all in all not bad as you say. some easy bits to fix and hey presto!

pewe

posted on 29/8/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Re brake balance .... yes especially as it was raining on the way down.
Serious point made by the examiner was that if he fails it for something major like brakes you won't be allowed to drive it home. Makes the £58 to Indespension for trailer hire look like money well spent.
Cheers, Pewe
PS they are all a great bunch of guys down there. During the course of the day I think what must have been all the examiners drifted by to have a look and chat - word must have got out there was a supercharged kit downstairs!

[Edited on 29/8/08 by pewe]

ecosse

posted on 29/8/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Bad news on the fail next one should be a breeze though?

Cheers

Alex
PS
I just had a look in your photo archive, that is a top job fitting that engine in there

Guinness

posted on 29/8/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Pewe

Sorry to hear you failed. Most of them sound like fairly easy fixes, good luck with the re-test.

One thing did surprise me though was this:-

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
No raw sheet metal anywhere they are likely to be contacted whilst the car is being serviced/worked on.

Sounds like they are taking the radius thing a bit far. I mean I can see why, but it's going to make some builds much harder. I thought skinned knuckles where compulsory when servicing kit cars, and tin tops.

My Seat Leon has some REALLY sharp brake disc back plates, and nearly every time I clean the wheels I cut my hand on one of them!

Cheers

Mike

saigonij

posted on 29/8/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

RE - larger master cylinder to the rear - thats the way its meant to be.

0.7 goes to rear, 0.625 goes to front.

0.625 produces more hydralic pressure than the 0.7 one, hence why its to the front.

If you swap them over, it will make the situation worse.

wilkingj

posted on 29/8/08 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a reasonable fail. All easily fixed.

You could drill through the adhesive tab and put a pop rivet in.

This is the whole point of a SVA, to make sure its built to meet the regulations.
Its in everyones interest.

Still... wont be long before its on the road.

Now... When you do get it on the road... TAKE IT EASY untill you have learnt how your car drives, and its limitations. We have already had one car smashed recently.
Take care especially if its damp, greasy or wet conditions. Dont add to the statistics.

Finally Well Done for getting this far. Almost at the winning line now!!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 29/8/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Now... When you do get it on the road... TAKE IT EASY untill you have learnt how your car drives, and its limitations. We have already had one car smashed recently.
Take care especially if its damp, greasy or wet conditions. Dont add to the statistics.

Finally Well Done for getting this far. Almost at the winning line now!!

Hmm, I concur with the above about taking it easy!

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RoadkillUK

posted on 29/8/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Not a bad fail really.

Regarding the Maplin sticky wire fixers, mine are still on 5 years after SVA, inside the engine bay too, even survived several pressure washes. Odd folk at the DVLA

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 29/8/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by saigonij
Hi,

RE - larger master cylinder to the rear - thats the way its meant to be.

0.7 goes to rear, 0.625 goes to front.

0.625 produces more hydralic pressure than the 0.7 one, hence why its to the front.

If you swap them over, it will make the situation worse.

Correct...

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.