Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Pump
paulbeyer

posted on 4/1/04 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Pump

For anyone trying to find a cheap electric fuel pump take a look at BMW's. I got a Bosch pump from a BMW E30 3 series (83 - 90) for £15 from my local scrappy. Best thing about it was it came covered in a rubber boot and underneath it was like new.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/1/04 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
ford granada come with an external pump.

look like rusty old crap, but thats the outer bracket and rubber mount. Strip that off and make your own mount and I recon it will be as cheap as the proverbial.

really easy to get at , rear of car behind tank - in front of bumper

approx 15mm inlet, 8mm outlet.

atb

steve

paulbeyer

posted on 4/1/04 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
15mm inlet? Very handy.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

blueshift

posted on 4/1/04 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking of fuel pumps.. we need one for our rover v8 vitesse (EFI). The correct replacement unit for the car is quite expensive, anyone know if there's something else we could use instead? I don't know how critical things are like fuel pressure, flow rates, other pump characteristics (?), or how much they differ between cars.

I have gained the idea that EFI systems run higher pressure than carbs, but that's about it for my fuel pump knowledge.

PioneerX

posted on 4/1/04 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
blueshift,

Cant help you with an alternative, I would personally use the normal pump as you must consider that EFI not old runs at higher pressure but also runs back to the tank too (requires two lines)

Simon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
brianm

posted on 4/1/04 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
Speaking of fuel pumps.. we need one for our rover v8 vitesse (EFI). The correct replacement unit for the car is quite expensive, anyone know if there's something else we could use instead? I don't know how critical things are like fuel pressure, flow rates, other pump characteristics (?), or how much they differ between cars.

The fuel pressure on efi systems is usually set by a pressure regulator mounted on the efi injector rail, returning excess fuel to the tank. I'm guessing, but I would expect almost any efi pump would supply enough fuel at sufficient pressure for your V8. Most early efi systems had pumps mounted externally to the fuel tank, (sometimes with a priming pump in the tank as well). Later systems have the pump submerged in the tank, but the same or similar basic pump module seems to be used in various manufactuers systems, and, as long as you have the original in-tank mounting bracket, you can usually bodge one of these in. (Cable ties come in usefull here.)

blueshift

posted on 5/1/04 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks brian. the v8 does indeed have a fuel regulator with a return line. I was just paranoid about supplying it with two low/high a pressure and damaging it or affecting the smooth running of the engine or.. something.

I'm just generally paranoid.

Damn, would have saved the fuel pump off the sierra if I'd known. ah well, plenty more sierras in the world

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/1/04 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
yes. The pump has low suction but high pressure output, so you need a big bore inlet. I made my tank with a 15mm outlet from the swirl pot and a 8mm return in tank top.

dead easy.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
15mm inlet? Very handy.

[Edited on 5/1/04 by stephen_gusterson]

dblissett

posted on 5/1/04 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
i still have a sierra injection fule pump and sender unit if its any good to you
i have gone twin 40 so its no use to me
cheers dave

blueshift

posted on 6/1/04 at 02:44 AM Reply With Quote
cheers dave, that would be grand. where are you? I'm st albans / reading

(I'm quite fat)

ta!

mackie

posted on 12/1/04 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Any idea if the Sierra MFI pump is suitable or does it need to be an EFI pump specifically? I understand that the MFI system uses fuel pressure to open the injector rather than an electrical pulse or whatever.
The Rover V8 needs around 36psi i think, but the regulator can handle much higher than that. There's a guy on ebay selling performance pumps (used on TVRs I think) which give up to 160psi, but I think it's recommended you use a rising rate regulator and uprated injectors with something like that.
Would I be correct in assuming that the ECU is only responsible for turning it on and off and not regulating the pressure. I guess it'd have to be, I don't think it had a fuel pressure input. </ramble>

zetec

posted on 12/1/04 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have used a Vx EFI pump. Easy to use as it has a 12mm inlet pipe and 8mm outlet both of which are designed to have a push fit rubber pipe and jubilee clip, no nasty banjo fittings as per Ford. My system runs at 3.25bar which is about the norm and is set by an adjustable regulator. The ECU gives a pulse to each injector in turn allowing fuel from the fuel rail to pass thru the injector. As said 90% of EFI pumps are Bosch, and suspect unless for very high fuel rates they are the same apart from connections for pipes. Most tuning companies offer about 6 different types and cross refer them to the Bosch pump they replace.

Company called Glencoe (I think) on the web had info on pumps etc.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.