Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: transporting my kit
mads

posted on 1/10/08 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
transporting my kit

Right you fine people,
need some more advice. Am planning to pick up my kit in 2 weeks time and trying to avoid the cost of renting a van. My friend has access to a trailer which we plan to use on his car (5 door VW Golf).

question is: will we be able to pull this off using the trailer for the chassis and the car for the panels, R1 engine, various other bits e.g. uprgihts, steering rack, aeroscreen etc,

does anyone have the dimensions of the side panels, nose cone, rear end, bonnet etc?

and does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount it all so we can bring it back in one trip? we were thinking of strapping some of the panels i.e. side and bonnet to top of chassis and putting some type of cover over it all to stop wind trying to take them off. good idea or bad one?

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

omega 24 v6

posted on 1/10/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hire a van. Panels flapping in the wind are a
recipe for disaster

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2758
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 1/10/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hire a van well worth it for an extra £100 with no risk of damaging anything.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/10/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Trailered a complete kit from dartford to scotland on a trailer for GTS.

Put panels inside chassis and make sure they are bubble wrapped and tied down.

Lots of ratchet straps and rope. Nothing too major. Just put small items in the towing car.

Bubble wrapped things stop most knocks

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

blakep82

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
to be honest, i think you'll struggle to get much in the car. you'll maybe get the nose, bonnet and rear panel. engine will be a struggle i think (don't actually know the size of bike engines)

you'll definitely get everything in a van easiily. well worth doing

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
My worry will be that you'll end up with a load of GRP stashed in the back of the car with a loose bike engine nestled in the middle of it. One rapid stop and you'll have lots of GRP confetti.

It's possible but it's not the best idea. I saw someone collect their kit from STM by strapping the chassis to the top of the car.......

jollygreengiant

posted on 1/10/08 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
About the smallest vehicle you will get away with for transporting your kit is the likes of a Vauxhall omega estate. I used one to transport my Viento on collection. Body panels inside and chassis securely strapped to the load bars along the roof.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Canada EH!

posted on 2/10/08 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
transporting my kit

Brought my chassis home from Huntsville Alabama USA on the roof racks of my Jeep Cherokee, suspension pieces, front fenders, scuttle ansd nose cone in the back of the Jeep. Plus luggage for two weeks in Florida. About a Thousand miles distance.
RK

posted on 2/10/08 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
I dunno, seems a bit risky all that. I have rented a van to bring the car and bits back and forth a couple of hundred K, and frankly the money was worth it. Everything fit inside. Not a worry.
Flamez

posted on 2/10/08 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
I pick mine up injust over a week. The chassis is 10'6". I have hired a VW sprinter for £65 for 24 hours. Got to be worth it.

Alamo /europcar

82 Locost

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't hire a van you'll spend a lot of time worrying about it. You don't need to do much damage (either to your kit or your mate's car) before the £65 van hire looks cheap.

Having said that, I'd probably be a cheapskate and try to shove all the fragile bits in the car (take the back seat OUT first?) and the solid bits would be firmly attached to the trailer.

mackei23b

posted on 2/10/08 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
My Chassis was on the roof of the car and bodywork inside.

Cheers

Ian

mad-butcher

posted on 2/10/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
take an old motorbike rear tyre and sit the engine in it stops it falling over
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
J16

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mk delivered my kit for me and the contents filled the Mercedes sprinter van. If you don't want to risk damaging anything a van is probably the best option.
blakep82

posted on 2/10/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
i picked up the bodywork for the truck (ok considerable more bodywork than a 7) and a few other bits, and it filled a LWB ford transit

in total i had:
full set of body work
carbon dash
wishbones
wheels with tyres
shocks
steering rack
brake calipers

i think that was everything, and the van was full. thats without a chassis or engine.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mads

posted on 6/10/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
thanks all. think i will invest in a van.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.