Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gaz dampers (again)
200mph

posted on 12/1/04 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Gaz dampers (again)

sorry for any repetition, but was at the Autosport show yesterday, and the Gaz dampers and springs were being sold for £250, which he tried to convince me was a 'special' price just for the day. I pointed out that that was the price they were offered at in the Kit Car magazines, and that as I had travelled from Scotland to the show, could i please have a small discount? (worth a try I thought)

Anyways, he assures me I will be buying my suspension from him sometime soon as its the best price and the best.

'No chance' thinks I, so my question is this..

Does the MK suspension fit the locost? Or should I 'settle' for the slightly inferior dampers from gtstuning??

any advice would be appreciated, but now refuse to buy Gaz dampers

Mark

(ps, just to brag, got my big valve head and twin forties)

ned

posted on 12/1/04 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
careful on you use of the word 'inferior'. you may upset people!

you could however point out that you'd prefer an adjustable damping system and everyone will start arguing the point.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 12/1/04 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
and everyone will start arguing the point.

... again ...

kingr

posted on 12/1/04 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have to say, I'm disinclined to buy from Dampertech after going to their stand at Stoneleigh, standing around trying to catch one of their eyes and being completely ignored. Then another person comes along, shows a slight passing interest and they're all over him. I suspect it's cos I'm young they instantly assume I haven't got money to spend. Ah well, there's been plenty of people before who've lost out on good, easy money by giving me the impression they're not interested in it, so Dampertech will probably join that list. I probably won't be in need of shocks till Stoneleigh this year, so we'll see if they can redeem themselves.

Kingr

James

posted on 12/1/04 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Kingr,

The shockers that Darren of GTSTuning sells are not (as far as I'm aware) Dampertech.
Darren sells GTS shocks that I believe he's designed (or atleast spec'd). And from what I gather they're pretty high quality and very reliable.

I for certain know that Darren didn't have a stand at Stoneleigh as his first one was at Exeter at the end of last year so I'm pretty sure you're mixing the two companies (Dampertech and GTSTuning) up and they sell different products.

HTH,

James

JoelP

posted on 12/1/04 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
The shockers that Darren of GTSTuning sells are not (as far as I'm aware) Dampertech.

Please forgive me if im wrong, but i cant see where anyone implied that GTS sell dampertech!

Am i being blind?!

i think kingr just mentioned dampertech cos they annoyed him at the show.

TBH it confuses the life out of me, all the names of the shocks, the manufacturers and the suppliers! Too many...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

dozracing

posted on 12/1/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Without getting into argumentative discussions thought i'd make a point.

Inferior? I think we could have a long discussion (again) on the reasons why my shocks are superior!!

At Exeter i saw lots of manufacturers that had Gaz and AVo dampers fitted upside down on the cars. I have for a long time told people that these dampers don't work upside down, and certainly the last time i tested them they failed to work. I thought perhaps they had corrected this and made no comment.

I had an interesting discussion at Autosport with the Motorsports Degree tutor at Swansea Uni, and he pointed out that as part of the course they do damper testing, using Gaz's. Surprise surprise, they also find that they don't function upside down!

Why do i have such a hard time getting this across to people who ought to know better?

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
200mph

posted on 12/1/04 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
sorry if using the word inferior offended, but was only using that from what was said on the other thread on the subject. my apologies.

however, i fully intend to have my dampers fitted the correct way, which means that whether they function upside down or inside out doesnt matter in the scheme of things.

also I have said there is no way I will use dampertech, which as far as I see give me two realistic options.

It was said on the other thread that spending the extra £50 was worth it for the MK setup, but does this fit the standard locost setup??

without debating the point please

thanks
Mark

Peteff

posted on 12/1/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Dampertech is the firm which sells Gaz shocks. I think they are based in Rotherham. I have not had personal dealings with them but have not heard anyone complain about them and would not hesitate to use them if the price is right. They do seem to run an occasional promo where they reduce the Gaz shocks to £250 but their regular price seems to be £300. This compares well with the other dealers prices so you pays your money and takes your choice is all it boils down to. There's no point cutting your nose off to spite your face. As far as I can see Gaz, Avo and Spax are probably very similar in performance whereas the new offering from Martin and the GTS tuning ones are more tuned towards the locost. If the Protech damper performs as well as it looks I would adapt my suspension points and make it fit.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Northy

posted on 12/1/04 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
So which way is upside down, and which way is the right way?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

James

posted on 12/1/04 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by James
Please forgive me if im wrong, but i cant see where anyone implied that GTS sell dampertech!

Am i being blind?!

Alright, alright- my bad! Sorry! Comes from watching Daddy Day Care as I write!

James

...which I know everyone said was crap... but I'm laughing my tits off!

200mph

posted on 12/1/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Am not cutting my nose off to spite my face, but every day we make decisions about whether or not to buy things based on what we see/hear. One of the other guys at the dampertech stall said " yeah, we'll get you a show discount no problem". Also, he was unfairly critical (in my opinion) of more than one of his competitors, which I REALLY dislike in a company.

Also, he seemed as though he wasnt bothered about me buying anything, even when I spoke to him earlier and hadnt mentioned prices.

Think I will get the protech ones.

Therefore, my next question...anyone got them on a locost??

Mark

and I thought Martin Keenan's were the Protech??

[Edited on 12/1/04 by 9904169]

Stu16v

posted on 12/1/04 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

So which way is upside down, and which way is the right way?

The 'right' way is body to the bottom, rod to the top. Spax (used to) quote maximum angles that their shockers would operate in-a max of 45deg from vertical IIRC. Upside down would be 180 deg from vertical...

Dont just build it.....make it!

Peteff

posted on 12/1/04 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Martin's new offering is the Protech at £300. He used to do AVO and Gaz at a similar price. You shouldn't have any problem adapting the suspension points on a locost to make them fit if they don't already.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

200mph

posted on 12/1/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, much appreciated Pete!

Mark

dozracing

posted on 13/1/04 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
The chromed shaft should point to the sky!

The only shocks that can run very inclined, flat or upside down are gas-mono tube dampers. The name GAZ tends to make people think they are gas mono dampers, but, they aren't they are twin tube dampers like your normal road car. Running them upside down lets the air get in the valving and instead of squeezing oil through the control valves you end up with air.

Kind regards,
Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Northy

posted on 13/1/04 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, mine are on the right way then

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

dozracing

posted on 13/1/04 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
The Protech, are a marked improvement in design integrity over the GAZ's for sure. They still can't be run upside down mind.

They will be a little too long for a book car, but you can run your car higher to compensate, or just put the brackets on to allow for it.

Kind regards,

Darren

Alan B

posted on 13/1/04 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dozracing
........The only shocks that can run very inclined, flat or upside down are gas-mono tube dampers......

Darren, which brands/models are this type?....I ask because my rears are horizontal (virtually)..

dozracing

posted on 13/1/04 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
You can tell a gas mono damper by removing the spring, pushing the shaft all teh way in and letting go. If it comes back out its a gas mono and can be run at any angle. If the shaft stays in its a twin tube and wont function.

You can feel the effect by turning them upside down without a spring and working them in and out, you'll feel all the air getting mixed in the valving because it'll go hard and soft randomly.

Kind regards,

Darren

Alan B

posted on 14/1/04 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers.....good pointers..
ainsml

posted on 15/1/04 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me put the record straight Mark

When you came to the stand I told you that they were on special offer. I did not say they were on any additional special offer for the show.

We know that no one else is selling an equivalent kit at this low price and you had obviously checked this out before you came to buy. We are in the business of selling top quality dampers with a 3-year warranty at the best possible price.

We are not in the business of subsidising student loans!!!!!!

Isn't it about time you stopped acting like a baby just because you couldn't get what you wanted!

It’s not our fault that you live in Scotland and you have to travel to shows.

I suppose you expected us to pay for your petrol aswell.

Everybody is free to buy whichever damper they want but remember we supply all the top kit car manufacturers so we must be doing something right!

As for slagging of other manufacturers I am afraid that’s not my style. I have enough confidence in the Gaz product to know it is the best value for money on the market.

Dave @ Dampertech

sweet child of mine

200mph

posted on 16/1/04 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
WOWEEEE

Touchy

Please refrain from making a personal statement about me!!! You dont know me.

Its tempting to sink to the same level with this post, but I will refrain myself.

Firstly, I am sure you are doing yourself no favours posting like that on a forum like this, and nothing of what I said was untrue!
Your buddy at the stand, the one who phoned you, guaranteed me you would be able to beat £250, which he agreed was not a show offer. Now if you are going to state that £250 is the lowest price, then perhaps you might want to tell your staff also?

And you personally said they were on a SHOW offer of £250. Had I not mentioned that the offer was valid elsewhere you would never have mentioned it. Deny that and I will quite happily call you a liar!!

Also, although I cannot remember which of you actually said it, Robin Hood cars and Darren from GTS tuning were remarked upon. Again, feel free to deny that!!!

I never asked you to 'subsidise me' or pay me for anything, all I asked was your best price! I will take this opportunity to remind you that when goods are for sale in a shop, that is only the *asking* price from the shops point of view. Everyone is perfectly entitled to offer any price they want on *ANY* goods for sale in *ANY* shop in the UK. Also, you are perfectly within your rights to maintain the price at that level.

If you object to me asking you for your best price, then you should not be in business.

A number of other lies were told, but none really worth mentioning, but taken together put me off buying from you.

And a good decision it was.

Like you say, everyone is free to buy whichever damper they want, and not all companies tell lies. OK??

Mark

[Edited on 16/1/04 by 9904169]

Dreckly

posted on 16/1/04 at 02:25 AM Reply With Quote
Come on Chaps, lets keep it friendly and professional please, it's in the best interests of the forum!!
I've been involved with the Kitcar Industry privately for over 8 years. I've found it very friendly in the main, and run by like minded enthusiasts with a passion for the cars.
My reasons for joining this forum were the open, friendly nature of the members and the helpful exchange of ideas & info, to which I hope I can contribute. Let's keep it up please!
Regards. Ken @ Milestone Motorsport Eng.
(Yes I do now have a commercial interest in the Industry and a link with GTS Tuning)

DaveFJ

posted on 16/1/04 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
ladies ladies...... - handbags at dawn ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.