Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2001 Seat Leon Cupra - £1450!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/1/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
2001 Seat Leon Cupra - £1450!

Hi All

Having just picked myself up a new mode of daily transport, I'm now selling my Leon Cupra 1.8T

2001/Y with 120k miles
I'm the second owner, a good friend owned the car from new up to around 85k miles when I bought it from her in early 2006, so I know its history and can guarantee it's never been bent.
Full Seat service history to 80k, serviced by myself since that time (receipts to prove).
4 good tyres (Falken FK452) on standard 16" alloys in good condition
9 months Tax
Going for it's MOT tomorrow, Fri 30th (has sailed all previous MOTs)
Will also be serviced before selling.
Standard Cupra spec, ie:
Sports seats
Climate Control
6 disc autochanger
Electric windows
Electric folding mirrors
Remote central locking
The car is completely standard, everything works including aircon and remote central locking, and the interior is in very good condition for the age/mileage. It's also got a brand new battery, new MAF sensor (a common VAG fault), new passenger window mechanism (another common VAG fault!) and recently had the engine temperature sensor changed (you guessed it....), so many of the known weak points have recently been sorted. It also has a towbar which has occasionally towed a light trailer with a BEC in tow but mostly used for my bike rack, I can remove this if preferred.

Minor bad points are a stonechip on the bonnet front edge and a small crack in the driver's side wing mirror casing due to a near "miss" with a numpty along a country lane

Now to the reasons it's £6-800 cheaper than every other Cupra, the paint. When I bought the car, the bonnet/roof had faded a little and there was a small amount of lacquer lifting on the bonnet which I put down to water getting under a stonechip. In fact it would appear my car was lacquered during a Friday afternoon coffee break by someone that should have stuck to making coffee! The lacquer on the upper surfaces (exposed to the sun) had already faded when I bought the car (fairly normal on yellow cars), but then the faded areas started peeling off to the extent that within a year I was able to peel every single bit of lacquer off the bonnet and roof using a hosepipe! I've now done the same to the wings, door tops and bootlid, although all the plastics (bumper etc) are fine. This sounds nasty I know, but as you can see from the pictures, the car looks fine, because there's no lacquer at all, there's no horrible flaky areas and you actually wouldn't notice anything was wrong unless you looked very closely, and having polished/waxed the exposed areas several times, the paint itself looks good and has not deteriorated since. The only place it's noticable is when closely inspecting the doors and the bootlid (see pic of door), where there's a barely visible line just below door handle height due to the lower half of the doors still being lacquered. Im convinced if I was less than 100% honest with the description, I could advertise this car for £2k+ without mentioning any of this and many prospective buyers wouldn't notice it even when looking at the car in person, so if you want a cheap, well maintained and otherwise excellent condition Cupra for significantly less than other equivalent cars, then this might be the answer.

£1450ono
contact me via e-mail/U2U or 07793 925995, I live in North Hants near Bordon

Any questions, please fire away.

Cheers
Chris

This pic was taken prior to polishing the exposed paint, so the line is more visible in the pic than it is now.

[Edited on 29/1/09 by ChrisGamlin]

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

carpmart

posted on 29/1/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good for the money even with the lacquer issue!

Have you any cars left now!

What have you got to replace this then?

Edited cause I'm a muppet!

[Edited on 29/1/09 by carpmart]

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/1/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers

You can see the replacement in the background of the first pic, a year old Beemer 123d M Sport. That purchase also incorporated the money from the sale of the BEC though, so thought I'd treat myself and at least have something fairly quick, RWD and fun to drive even if it needed to be a diesel!!

As to the Leon, yep the lacquer is a shame really as otherwise it's a great car, it actually looked worse whilst it was peeling a year or two back as it looked like it had a skin disease, but now it's fully peeled and the underlying paint has had some polish/wax applied, you wouldn't know any different unless you looked really closely.

Everything is stock though and always has been. I briefly considered chipping when I first got it but decided it wasn't worth it for the type of journey I used it for mostly (getting to/from work).

cheers
Chris

alfasudsprint

posted on 29/1/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Scuse silly question, what engine does this have? Someone here at work is interested possibly.

Tim

ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/1/09 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim

It's the 180bhp version of the 1.8 turbo VAG engine as used in Mk4 Golf GTis / previous generation Audi TT/A3/A4, Skoda Octavia RS etc etc.

cheers
Chris

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/1/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Well I can't even see any pics and when I post the web address in to the search bar an on-line poker site comes up!

Why didn't you put the pictures in your archive?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/1/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Well I can't even see any pics and when I post the web address in to the search bar an on-line poker site comes up!

Why didn't you put the pictures in your archive?

LOL, sounds like you've got some dodgy malware on your PC redirecting requests as the pics are hosted on my own domain (http://www.gamlin.org.uk/Downloads/Images/Leon/)

I didn't put them in my archive because they're already hosted for an advert elsewhere so no point taking up space on Locostbuilder servers too

Meeerrrk

posted on 29/1/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
used to have one my self, fantastic price for a cracking car. if it wasnt yellow id rip your arm off at that price

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

McLannahan

posted on 29/1/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
U2 sent Chris

Michael

ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/1/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Micheal

Just sent a reply

cheers
Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/1/09 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Provisionally sold to the man with the matching Fury

McLannahan

posted on 29/1/09 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Damn it. Should have left the Fury yellow!

carpmart

posted on 30/1/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'm please this is sold to Michael as it removes temptation from me!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.