Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorbike suggestions
locoboy

posted on 16/12/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Motorbike suggestions

Guys,
I have had a hankering for many years to have bike and im getting clost again to making a decision.............

I have NO riding experience on the road.
I have ridden military 500cc harleys on airfeilds etc.

I have reasonable slow manoverabilty control having messed about on gasgas trials bikes trying to go as slow as possible round a windy course.

I have mechanical knowledge to backup the theory of how bikes/transmission etc work and how altering one variable can affect another.

I have been a pillion passenger for many miles on the back of the following

Yamaha Vmax
Honda (?) Varadero
Honda St1100 pan european (my favourite)
Honda Gold wing

I have visions of me and the misses off on the bike (pan european) to austria/ Italy/ Switzerland for summer holidays etc.

I dont want to do sportsbike speeds although i know this list above are all good for 120mph +

In short i want touring comfots with enough torque to give a good turn of speed 2 up with luggage.

its been a while since i took any interest in bikes and what models are suitable.

Can anyone suggest anything they think may be suitable for the above?

Budget i'm hoping for is no more than 2K

I know i need to do a DAS direct access course to get on one of these machines.

Any bikers have any general advice to impart!?

No ditch the frame and build a BEC comments please!

ATB
Locoboy

mookaloid

posted on 16/12/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Honda Deauville does all the above apart from the silly speeds but will be cheaper to insure and will perform quite adequately

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MikeCapon

posted on 16/12/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
VFR 750 or 800 if you're lucky.

Honda = Pretty unbreakable.

V4 = Torquey motor but still quick enough.

Sensible riding position + comfy seat = less pillion whine

Not a lardy tourer = handles pretty well

Loads of them around = good choice at sensible money.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
If you have no riding experience on the road then if I were you I'd stick to smaller machines till you build up your road awareness. I started riding bikes only a year ago on the road and though I was a professional driver (bus & trucks) found that of little relevance on a bike.

There's a whole world of difference between staying alive on a bike and driving a car. Fortunately through simply being sensible (has been known to happen) and using a basic CBR125 which I used everyday in all weathers, I've managed to stay totally out of trouble, just as well as you get few second chances on a bike.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 16/12/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I started off on a 600 bandit which was fantastic, and very forgiving.
The new Bandit S comes with free luggage as well i think (or it did a while back).

Honda are also a good bike. Ive had an RVF and CBR1000F and both are bombproof bikes, if a little bit heavy.

The bandit was light, nimble and quick enough for sensible riding. A good starting point.

Make sure you do a 5 day DAS though, as a broken up course over five weekends will see some of the theory forgotten.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

afj

posted on 16/12/09 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
old zzr1100 bandit 1200s

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

hoots_min

posted on 16/12/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I got my bike license this year after years of thinking about it but thinking I would kill myself if I did. Felt mature enough this year so went for the DAS - brilliant but yes, if you split it up I am sure you will forget some of what you have learned.

It doesn't prepare you for when you get on the road though. I went stupid and got a ZX6R which is a mental bike if the mood takes you but can also be comfortable pootling around. But when you open it up it is scary how quick speed comes around.

DAS also doesn't prepare for what happens if someone does really actually pull out in front of you, what happens if your rear wheel locks up (that's a funny feeling why am I starting to weave), relieving your pent up aggression by accelerating vigourously in a safe manner on a clear road but one which the police happened to be turning off of and saw you!

I would recommend low CC or high CC but low power (high torque) although still easy to scare yourself on these beasts!.

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

Peteff

posted on 16/12/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to go touring look for a shaft drive bike. Old 900 Diversions are good and don't have too many problems and there are still some cheap low milers round. VFR800s are good but can be a bit expensive when it comes to service time. Deauville (Doomsville) will not be fast enough with two up and luggage and the Pan is a good choice for what you want to do. Forget the Vmax for touring, they are for going fast in straight lines and not in your budget unless you get one with gear problems (common) XJR 1300 is a good proposition with luggage.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

yellow melos

posted on 16/12/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
NTV 650/Bros/ Deauville.

i have not heard a bad word said about them... can still get all the parts for them from honda

http://www.bikesandtravels.co.uk/bikes/Review%20of%20the%20Honda%20NTV%20600%20Revere.aspx

http://ntvhonda.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=ntvspecific&thread=902&page=1

and yes i have a slightly biased opinion to these as i have a NTV 650 Trike.

but still have not found a bad word said

flibble

posted on 16/12/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Dont completely discount sporty bikes as I used to find them more comfortable at distance, the tourers I tried all made my bum ache due to the riding position, sports bikes tended to put some weight on my arms which I preferred.

That said, my fave bike was a TDM850 and probably one of my slowest (not too slow though) but I loved it, good at distance, not too fast so you could give it some beans without the backend overtaking the front and getting the pegs dragging felt like more of an acheivment as its so tall, lol! Worth a look if you don't mind the slightly odd looks (cheap too).

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/12/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (with luggage), enough said.

Enjoy.

spidersaurus

posted on 16/12/09 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
VFR 750 or 800 if you're lucky.

Honda = Pretty unbreakable.

V4 = Torquey motor but still quick enough.

Sensible riding position + comfy seat = less pillion whine

Not a lardy tourer = handles pretty well

Loads of them around = good choice at sensible money.

+1 for VFR
I also like the DRZ400 but i like to ride alone

RAYLEE29

posted on 16/12/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, remember to check out insurance before you commit to anything
best to start smallish and work up
for touring style stuff beemers are good cops use them for a reason
hondas good for reliability and build quality
dont get a harley unless your ready to polish and clean more than you ride
ive sold all my sportsbikes and now im left with a 1942 military spec indian scout
if you need to get a licence you cant test ride anything till you do Good luck and take care
Ray

charlie_pank

posted on 16/12/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Best value tourer is supposed to be the Triumph Sprint ST. I'm thinking of switching to one myself now that the missus wants to go pillion. I currently have a Speed Triple which is an absolute joy to ride.

Having said all of that though, you need to build up to it. You won't enjoy riding around on a big expensive machine from day one.

I started with a ducati monster 620 which was great, still miss it.

The wisest thing a biker said to me when I was thinking about what my first bike should be is that I should just buy some 500cc shitter for a bit, because it's impossible to know what's right for you until you've been riding for a while. Having said that, I had more money than sense at the time and got a Ducati!

You can get a GS500 very cheap, and it will do everything you need it to until you have some experience and a better idea of what you want.

Memphis Twin

posted on 16/12/09 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be looking at BMW K series RT bikes. If touring is your thing, they're pretty much unbeatable.

Or for something slightly more off the wall, an older R100RT boxer. They're a doddle to work on, exceedingly reliable, comfortable and quicker than you'd think. Designed to cover long distances at high(ish) speed without you needing a chiropractor at the end of each day. And because they're becoming very collectible, you'll never lose money on one.

But perhaps I'm biased

jambojeef

posted on 16/12/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
+ 2 for VFR.

Ive had GSX250, GS500, CBR600 x3 CBR1000, Thundercat, VFR800 x2 and its VFR VFR VFR!!

Went over the alps and down to montenegro on the adriatic coast on my 2001 VFR800 this summer.

These bikes literally do everything. We went via the ring and it didnt disgrace itself (though it was a bit heavy in some of the twistier bits) - thousands of miles and just a bit of a sore arse to report.

Characterful engine - bombproof reliabilty - all round bike with a sporty slant - cant be beaten if you are a sportyish rider and you can only afford one bike.

Must say I was hankering after a R1200GS for the next tour (we want to do eastern europe and some rougher terrain next time)

Geoff (VFR800 convert!)

locoboy

posted on 21/12/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, some real good suggestions there, I am liking the deuville and the VFR at present, i will get christmas out the way and maybe i will take the idea further.

ATB
Locoboy

Davg

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
No contest! if you want to tour gotta be Honda St1100 or for your money K1100 both real nice bikes cause I still got em both! been down the race / road bikes and include the vfr800 & big Z's & R1's all nice but it is def down to to what you want to do! Pan ST1100 would be the one. CHEERS D
Steve Hignett

posted on 22/12/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
+3 for the VFR...

Thi s one on ebay with a few scratches would be a good bike!

aitch

posted on 22/12/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
passed myself just over 2 years ago and for £1k got a really nice gsx600f teapot, but the 600's really are too small for touring two up,

quickly moved on to a zzr600 and although an awsome pocket rocket again a bit small 2 up although we did tour and camp in the uk with luggage rack,

then a year ago got the hayabusa
simply awsome all rounder, i does everything and is comfortable, have toured spain and portugal in april this year and belgium and germany in june
cant fault it, even done some top speed runs of 190mph (on runways)

whatever the bike it only goes as fast as you want it to and the power reserve is nice, a good busa with around 20-30k miles can be found for around £2k if you keep your eyes open this one just went for £2400 i was watching it as a possile engine donor http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190357369379&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

whatever you go for ride safe and always be aware of everyone else on the road they will do the unexpected, so expect it

aitch

Triton

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Four strokes are for girls, what you want is a nice RG500

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Simon

posted on 25/12/09 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aitch
......got the hayabusa
simply awsome all rounder, i does everything and is comfortable, have toured spain and portugal in april this year and belgium and germany in june
aitch

How did you manage that - I never got more than 900 miles from a set of tyres on mine, ever

Great bike though - and I once got 72mpg at constant 40

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 25/12/09 by Simon]

escary

posted on 3/1/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
best sports tourer

I did a tour up to orkney on an RSV mille, but i'd recommend an early blackbird.

unbreakable ( except the regulator ) almost everyone knows how they work in europe and here. massively comfy two up, plenty of go should you need it and easy to ride. Loads of aftermarket panniers et.c. and a steel fuel tank for magnetic tank bags, plus tank range 200 miles if you take your time 120 pushing on

JoelP

posted on 3/1/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
+3 for the VFR...

hitler was a vfr man too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2BF5IJeQU

sorry, no use there.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Nash

posted on 3/1/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
+3 for the VFR...

hitler was a vfr man too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2BF5IJeQU

sorry, no use there.

That is 'kin funny.

In terms of bikes for me you already know what to get for touring in comfort...... Pan European. The Police don't buy them as patrol bikes for no good reason after all.

.........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.