Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Traffic jams on mini round-abouts
BenB

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Traffic jams on mini round-abouts

Who has right of way on a mini round-about if there's a car waiting at every entrance?
Survival of the fitness?
Person with the heaviest right foot?
Person in the Chelsea tractor?

loggyboy

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
If they are all blocked then it doesnt really matter!
Thinking about it

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
The Volvo
Mr Whippy

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
if there is space you go...

I drove city bendy busses for years, very very rarely would I actually stop at a round about, we were taught -

Expect to go but be prepared to stop

I'm looking for the gap 50ft before I even get to the roundabout, if you have had to stop and wait you have made an arse of it

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 6/2/11 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
as always the one to your right if no one is moving then pull out as long as you dont get hit by the guy on your right then you have right of way

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

morcus

posted on 7/2/11 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
Or just do what all the idiots do and don't look.

I've had people try to crash into me twice this weekend on the same mini roundabout, and one of them was a bus.

In the rare event that you all arrive at the same time who ever shows intitiative goes first, it depends on where everyone is going as if your all turning left you can all go at once.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

interestedparty

posted on 7/2/11 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Who has right of way on a mini round-about if there's a car waiting at every entrance?

I do.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

designer

posted on 7/2/11 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't a mini the same as a big one?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/2/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Iwas under the understanding that you should never enter any junction, or roundabout unless you're exit was clear?

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

indykid

posted on 7/2/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
give way to the car on the roundabout, approaching from the right. if nobody's actually on the roundabout, whoever gets on it first has right of way.

there's one i cross regularly but 3 roads and usually everyone wants to go 2 exits. i go first

tony-devon

posted on 7/2/11 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
large ones, you drive around and can do full laps

mini one is just to aid the flow of traffic and "can" be driven over, often its the only physical way around it anyway, and you arent supposed to do a full U turn on it, beleive its advised against in the highway code.

[Edited on 7/2/11 by tony-devon]

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

Triton

posted on 7/2/11 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I have the right of way so please move over and let me thru as the brakes on my bus aren't for stoppies....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

BenB

posted on 7/2/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent, so it's whoever's on the roundabout already has right of way over the cars trying to enter the roundabout. Full speed ahead it is then
smart51

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, traffic on the roundabout has priority over traffic entering the roundabout. The general rule is give way to your right so if you and the car to your right are both first in the queue, they go first.

loggyboy

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony-devon

mini one is just to aid the flow of traffic and "can" be driven over, often its the only physical way around it anyway, and you arent supposed to do a full U turn on it, beleive its advised against in the highway code.

Highway codes states you must treat mini roundabout as a standard one, unless you vehicle isnt physically capable of doing so, If your vehicle can, then you must go around not over. (other wise they would be called minioverabouts?)

speedyxjs

posted on 7/2/11 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Excellent, so it's whoever's on the roundabout already has right of way over the cars trying to enter the roundabout. Full speed ahead it is then

Dont tell me you have been waiting at the junction of a mini roundabout waiting for replys on this thread before you decide when to go?!?!?!?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

scudderfish

posted on 7/2/11 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote

bigbravedave

posted on 7/2/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
There's one near me that is nearly to tight not to cut so everyone cut's it.

and there are no visability so you have to peep and creep, to get out,

once a month someone thinks they see a gap and gets T-boned by someone cutting the roundabout,

or last week someone cut it that hard turning right they head-on'd a car coming from the right 15 foot before that car got to the roundabout!

and one of the exits is from a bus station!

genius

morcus

posted on 7/2/11 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Going over a mini round about on a driving test is a major fault and thus an instant fail so in theory it's illegal to do so unless you have too. That said alot of people drive over them when they'd have no problem driving around them.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

nick205

posted on 7/2/11 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO they should be painted red and white as should the surrounding (and lowered) curbs and treated more as chicanes than roundabouts
Triton

posted on 7/2/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
IMHO they should be painted red and white as should the surrounding (and lowered) curbs and treated more as chicanes than roundabouts

I'd go with that.......

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

BenB

posted on 7/2/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:

Dont tell me you have been waiting at the junction of a mini roundabout waiting for replys on this thread before you decide when to go?!?!?!?

Yup
It is a tricky one, I've seen situations at our local mini roundabout where there is a car at each entrance and each one is trying to give way to the one on the right Doesn't really work!

Peteff

posted on 7/2/11 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I try not to slow down for them it's a sign of weakness, just look straight ahead and plough on.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

davidinhull

posted on 7/2/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tony-devon

Well I got a fixed penalty notice for going straight over a mini-roundabout so the police in hull think it's illegal to do that!!!

Ninehigh

posted on 10/2/11 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
You give way to the person to your right, but I only give it for a few seconds, especially when I can get a quick start

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.