Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anyone know bmw 328 engines?
blakep82

posted on 7/6/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
anyone know bmw 328 engines?

part of my air intake keeps splitting

this part

last time i replaced it with a 2nd hand part, which lasted longer than i expected. its split again, and the engine won't start. its after the air flow sensor

i've got an idea where i might be able to get one, but see the small diameter connection into it? what is it for, and do i actually need it? its that connection that keeps splitting, and the hose that connects to it is starting to split too.

wondering if i can somehow blank it off to get it running while i get the parts ordered (and find the money for it... unless anyone has one from a 328 they've stripped to do me another few months/year/2 years again?

can't find a haynes manual for this particular model

edit: tried self amalgam tape, it didn't work, it just keeps tearing off next try will be duct tape, in fact, will try it now, but i need to sort this properly

[Edited on 7/6/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

T66

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
dont demon tweaks do a silicone hose (any type) and a diy t piece kit ?

was going to suggest self amalgamating tape, why not gaffer ontop of it !!

very much doubt gaffer will give up aswell

is the take off not for the inlet manifold pressure ? ie after the air meter. Where does the pipe go too ?

[Edited on 7/6/11 by T66]

rodgling

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think that's the bit that feeds into the ICV, so I guess you do need it. I'd just buy another off Ebay and see how it goes. I may be replacing the 328 engine in my car shortly (depends if I manage to get a cheap m3 which may become available), in which case you're welcome to have mine for postage costs. I'll let you know.
blakep82

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
that pipe sits between the air flow meter and the throttle body. i've wraped it in duct/gaffa tape, but its still not drivable. keeps cutting out when you stop for junctions etc, and its hard to start too.
can't see where the take off hose goes to. disappears under the throttle body so possibly could be some sort of manifold pressure system, or ICV (whats the ICV? lol) but i can't tell really.

of course i've done a sterling job wrapping it up, in the dark, but its still exactly the same. air flow meter perhaps? this car does my nut now...

cheers for that rodgling! don't suppose you're going to be able to get it removed and posted in the next few days though?
i've looked on ebay, there's 1, in america. gone on partsgateway.co.uk, waiting to see what comes back there. i'm expecting £50 though. and the take off pipe is starting to go too, so will need to swap that for a silicon job i think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Chippy

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
ICV = idle control valve. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

norfolkluego

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
ICV - idle control valve, just a guess, symptoms are similar to one I've had before and that was the idle control
blakep82

posted on 7/6/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
ah, so how does this idle control valve work? as idle is pretty erratic. put the clutch in for a junction, and it cuts out, start it again and it sits at 500rpm, where it usually goes to 800rpm or so. is there anything i can spray down the pipe to free it? could it be sticky because its not been working right for a while?
is it not working right because the pipe's leaking somewhere? is it just a mad coincidence that its starting to go at the same time as the pipe split?
i did start behaving simi;larly to this last time the hose split, but not as bad

Chippy

posted on 7/6/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I would think it's most likely an air leak, and if you have a split pipe that would tend you support that idea. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

blakep82

posted on 7/6/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
fingers crossed thats all it is then. once this is sorted, i want shot of it. lol
looking at series land rover. fix with a hammer type mechanics lol

saying that, with a bit of time to take the hoses etc off and a bit of renewing of tired parts (hoses, clean up that sort of thing), its a good solid engine. good doner perhaps... lol

T66

posted on 7/6/11 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
air leak !

more gaffer required

T66

posted on 8/6/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
The deal for the £25 pipe is a good one, just looked it up on demon tweaks and a silicone elbow with a revotec hose take off will sort it.

Will come in dearer than the previous offer, the take offs are £18 plus a piece of hose at a £10.

blakep82

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAMSTER
i have one of these pipes spare from a 525 if you want it free you pay postage

i thought the 525 ones were different?

T66, have you got a link for those parts? might be able to make something up from ebay suppliers. 90 degree bend silicone hose and a take off, with some hose joiners for the ICV hose,
got answers from partsgateway, one breaker says they only sell new ones, £60 delivered, the other one came back at £21 delivered, but is most likely 2nd hand. think i'll get it for now, and look at making up a silicon hose one in the coming weeks. these parts tend to split quite easy now....
still want that land rover... don't know if its more reliable or not ha ha

ooh, if this engines taking in more air than it thinks, could that be why it over heats so easy at the moment? running way too lean?

[Edited on 8/6/11 by blakep82]

jimmyjoebob

posted on 8/6/11 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
To see exploded parts diagrams of BMWs take a look at www.realoem.com.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

blakep82

posted on 15/6/11 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
well, got the new parts fitted, and its a little bit better. i assume this one has the bmw 'adaptive ecu' though, so need to work out how to get it to learn there's no leaks now...

Benzine

posted on 15/6/11 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
well, got the new parts fitted, and its a little bit better. i assume this one has the bmw 'adaptive ecu' though, so need to work out how to get it to learn there's no leaks now...

can you unhook the battery for an hour or so to reset it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 15/6/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
yep, just did that, and then started it and let it idle without touch the accelerator or anything for 15 minutes, and its still the same
probably would benefit more from a good drive, but not if its going to break down again lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.