Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Wheel Direction and Strength...
scootz

posted on 5/8/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Wheel Direction and Strength...

I'd quite like to use this BMW wheel for the rear of my reverse-trike, but it's for a BMW with the shaft on the opposite side to mine, so turns clockwise, when I want anti-clockwise...

Does anyone know if running a wheel like this the opposite way to which it was intended will compromise it's strength / safety?

All educated, or uneducated, replies welcome!

It's Evolution Baby!

mark chandler

posted on 5/8/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Accelerate hard tries to twist the centre out one way, brake hard the other.

Generally you can stop faster than speed up so I cannot see it making any difference myself... as an uneducated oiks point of view

Looks fast when not even moving, thats the main thing

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/8/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
The direction is not a problem, unfortunately the bike wheel isn't designed to take any lateral loads, so hard cornering/drifting is where any weakness will show. On the upside, I haven't heard of any problems with Scorpions etc.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scootz

posted on 5/8/11 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
The direction is not a problem, unfortunately the bike wheel isn't designed to take any lateral loads, so hard cornering/drifting is where any weakness will show. On the upside, I haven't heard of any problems with Scorpions etc.

Yup... I'm generally not a fan of using a bike wheel on the back of a reverse-trike for that reason, but I can't afford a bespoke rim right now, so a bike one will have to do for now.

It's Evolution Baby!

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/8/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I real life, I don't think you will have a problem unless you slide it into a kerb, and then you would have problems in any case.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

scootz

posted on 5/8/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
You've obviously seen my driving!

It's Evolution Baby!

JF

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Should be fine. Most bikes with sidecars still use the standard rims. They just fit a car tire on it. It isn't as strong as a car wheel in lateral, but shouldn't be a problem while driving. And your average alloy car wheel won't appreciate smashing into a curb either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.