Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Arc Eye
scootz

posted on 27/8/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Arc Eye

Bloody hell that's a nasty one!

I was working away at one end of the car at lunchtime yesterday when someone else was welding at the other. I wasn't conscious of looking at the arc at any point.

Went to bed about 11 and mentioned to Mrs Scootz that my eyes were nipping. Put it down to tiredness.

Woke up at 1-ish and holy-guacamole... I was blind! I couldn't open my eyelids without lots of pain and streaming tears. I persevered for an hour or so, but then had to call NHS 24 as I hadn't a clue what was going on and they told me to go to A&E. Just what I didn't want... A&E on a weekend night... and just after kicking out time at the clubs.

Turns out I've burnt both corneas!

Felling a bit better, but LESSON LEARNED!

It's Evolution Baby!

dave r

posted on 27/8/11 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
good job your avatar has shades on

after having arc eye myself, i wouldnt wish it on anyone

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

Peteff

posted on 27/8/11 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Even just wearing a pair of clear safety glasses would have saved you a lot of pain. I put them on when I go in the shed because I know sooner or later I will be tempted to do something that needs them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 27/8/11 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
After years as a pro welder I have avoided it, people usually get it reflected off white walls in the building - should always use welding screens.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

perksy

posted on 27/8/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
You need to be even more careful if you wear contact lenses
iank

posted on 27/8/11 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
On the positive side it's the kind of thing you only tend to get once as you'll be REALLY careful next time.
Hope it clears soon.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

JF

posted on 27/8/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
As said before... clear safety glasses filter out a lot. I always put them on when welding, or when I'm working close to someone welding and I can't put a screen or board to block it.

Even while tack welding without a mask (we only have hand held masks and sometimes you need both hands) I get a (light) sunburn on my face once in a while. But no arc eye. You often can see the outline where the glasses were.

So yeah I always put on my safety glasses, and use a mask whenever I can. It might not be the best, but seems to help a lot.

mrwibble

posted on 27/8/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JF
As said before... clear safety glasses filter out a lot. I always put them on when welding, or when I'm working close to someone welding and I can't put a screen or board to block it.

Even while tack welding without a mask (we only have hand held masks and sometimes you need both hands) I get a (light) sunburn on my face once in a while. But no arc eye. You often can see the outline where the glasses were.

So yeah I always put on my safety glasses, and use a mask whenever I can. It might not be the best, but seems to help a lot.

if they're made of polycarb, i doubt toughened glass or cr39 plastic will filter much of the IR / UV that welding kicks out.

JF

posted on 27/8/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah good point. Our safety glasses are indeed polycarb.
Wheels244

posted on 27/8/11 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Not nice, I've had it a few times but only once seriously which required hospital treatment, got it when working in heavy engineering.
I'm sure the hospital gave antibiotic eye drops - I used to use fresh milk eye drops - might sound strange but got the tip from an old boy welder - it helps a bit, the fat in the milk helps lubricate your eye lid which assist with the 'sand in the eye' feeling.

britishtrident

posted on 27/8/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
For the discomfort you may find taking Aspirin will help, provided you don't have problems with Aspirin..
I had nasty conjunctivitis on a boat trip once and Aspirin was very effective at easing the pain until I could get antibiotic drops from a medic.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

T66

posted on 27/8/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
So what you listening to on radio 4 tonight then ?

big_wasa

posted on 27/8/11 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yep had it bad once and again woke up in the middle of the night wondering what was going on.
jacko

posted on 27/8/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=136483
this may help
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 27/8/11 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
So what you listening to on radio 4 tonight then ?

Tried watching the F1 qualifying earlier but had to give up!

Oh well, it's getting better all the time though... they reckon the eyes heal themselves quicker than most other parts of the body.

Was miserable last night... thankfully a Doc saw me straight away when I arrived at reception and put some anesthetic in my eyes so my wait wasn't so bad. They just treated by giving the area a good clean, applying dye and then giving them a good inspection. Once they'd established that it was just burning, they sent me home with an ampoule of anesthetic (they shouldn't have done, but I asked nicely ) so that I could get to sleep, a couple of tubes of chloramphenicol cream and painkillers.

I have learned my lesson and will stay well away when someone else is welding!

It's Evolution Baby!

David Jenkins

posted on 27/8/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Very naughty of the person welding... the welder's number one rule is to see if anyone else is at risk when welding... should have put up screens or barriers, or at a minimum warned anyone within range.

I have had arc eye once - inflicted it upon myself - and I have no wish to do it again!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.